Peugeot 3008 - cambelt change - simon65

could someone give me some advice when do you change a cambelt its a 2010 16hdi sport 73,250 miles ive been told its 120,000 or 10 years ant help please many thanks simon

Peugeot 3008 - cambelt change - John F

Try googling 'peugeot 3008 cambelt change'. The third one down is quite helpful.

Peugeot 3008 - cambelt change - Gibbo_Wirral

Not sure if this is any use:

www.peugeot.com.au/media/deliacms/media/2/299-d0f0...f

Peugeot 3008 - cambelt change - mickburkesnr

During one of the many times I went to the dealership about my Peugeot 3008, I asked this question. He looked on the system and he said it wouldn't need changing until 150,000 miles. 180,000km is only 118,000 miles.

However I've read on the Peugeot Forum that the timing belt fails prematurely on this engine when in a 307. How true this is I don't know.

The dealership was Robins and Day in Coventry by the way.

Peugeot 3008 - cambelt change - Railroad.

I don't know why people ask this. How is the manufacturer supposed to predict the state of the engine in the future? They don't know how and where the car has been used. This car is six years old and anything could've happened to it in that time. The manufacturer's recommended service and maintenance intervals are a RECOMMENDATION, and nothing more. As the owner of a used car the responsibility for servicing and maintenance is yours. Change the cambelt as as when required, as it's service life will depend on many factors.

I don't know why people ask this. How is the manufacturer supposed to predict the state of the engine in the future? They don't know how and where the car has been used.

Personally I wouldn't trust anything in the manual, which has been written without any real world testing.

Personally I wouldn't trust anything in the manual, which has been written without any real world testing.

Sometimes manufacturers reduce the limits if they start seeing a number of early failures, sometimes they increase limits if their designs are such that hardly any fail. Some engines now have cambelts with no recommended change intervals.

Not changing a perfectly good looking belt is a bit like betting on a loser roulette wheel with 1000 or more numbers, depending on the quailty and design of the engine. If you bet on just one number you will almost certainly win, but one in a thousand punters will lose. It could be you? or me!

Peugeot 3008 - cambelt change - Railroad.

If we had a crystal ball that told us the date and time the cambelt was going to fail we'd all have it replaced the day before that date. But sadly we don't, and so we can either use common sense or take pot luck. It's up to each individual to choose for himself.

Peugeot 3008 - cambelt change - keith40

Cam belts are a difficult thing to predict some engines like the Vauxhall fiat Saab 1.9 diesel say 4 years 40k mile.

Some like the Peugeot Citroen psa group say 6 year 60k

The chain drive 1.6 petrol THP engine 100k miles or 10 years.

Personally I would never go more than 5 year or 50k on a rubber cam belt as it's not worth the damage these cause if it's a Vauxhall,opel then 4 year 40k miles its best to be safe then sorry

Keith

Some like the Peugeot Citroen psa group say 6 year 60k

Depends on car. Every Pug I've owned has been 10 years or 160,000 miles.

Peugeot 3008 - cambelt change - Andrew-T

<< Every Pug I've owned has been 10 years or 160,000 miles. >>

When the Mk.2 Pug 205s appeared with belts instead of chains in 1988, there was no recommended life for the cambelt. After a few years Peugeot started to recommend changes at 50K. I remember this because my daughter's 205 was serviced at 48K, but nothing was said, and the belt failed a few hundred miles later. £550 for a replacement engine.

The 1.6 HDi engine in my 207 recommends changing the belt after 100K or 10 years - I'm still thinking about having it done. It will probably last a lot longer as I have given it a gentle life, but who knows?

Peugeot 3008 - cambelt change - Peter.N.

Many years ago I bought a BX TZD turbo estate, the belt change recommendation was about 80k, because the car looked so well maintained I assumed. wrongly that the belt had been changed - it failed at 114k.

The recommended change interval for the cambelt on the Hdi engine is 100k and I think they will last that long but I would be inclined to change them a bit earlier.

<< Every Pug I've owned has been 10 years or 160,000 miles. >>

When the Mk.2 Pug 205s appeared with belts instead of chains in 1988, there was no recommended life for the cambelt. After a few years Peugeot started to recommend changes at 50K. I remember this because my daughter's 205 was serviced at 48K, but nothing was said, and the belt failed a few hundred miles later. £550 for a replacement engine.

The 1.6 HDi engine in my 207 recommends changing the belt after 100K or 10 years - I'm still thinking about having it done. It will probably last a lot longer as I have given it a gentle life, but who knows?

I would bet it would last much longer, as materials have improved greatly since 30yrs ago. But the 1.6HDi belt looks as though it drives more things than just the single busy camshaft. This renders it more likely to failure if the other things it drives fail. But you would probably notice the warning signs. Our Focus 1.6 Zetec cambelt design looks more durable to me, driving just two less busy cams. Still going strong at 17yrs and 129,000m.

Peugeot 3008 - cambelt change - Bruce Dibben

could someone give me some advice when do you change a cambelt its a 2010 16hdi sport 73,250 miles ive been told its 120,000 or 10 years ant help please many thanks simon

Peugeot 3008 - cambelt change - Andrew-T

Bruce, you've repeated the question posted many years back, and there are some answers above. Do you have a new one?