Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - dafskipman

Hi all, Have seen a 2010 Mondeo estate with the 2.0 TDCI (140 bhp) engine at a local (back street) dealer. The provenance is all there, HPI clear, a FSH including a timing belt change etc, i've even checked the mot history online and everything seems to be as it should. The only problem i've got is, the seller (by his own admission) isn't mechanically minded and could not answer me when i asked if it had a DPF. I've even rung my local Trust Ford dealer franchise quoting the reg no and got the response, some do some dont!. (very helpfull). The car was first registered in april 2010 on a 10 plate and is the Zetec model, I believe it is the 09 (pre-facelift) model and the annual RFL is £180. Knowing whether it has a DPF or not will be a major influence in my descision to purchase this vehicle, or stick with my non-dpf focus estate. Thanks in anticipation of your kind replies.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - elekie&a/c doctor

As this is fitted with the Ford/peugeot engine.I would say more likely yes than no.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - craig-pd130

It does have a DPF - all 2.0TDCi Mondeos had them from launch.

I had an 08 car for 3 years and 40K miles from new, it was a very good car. I had zero DPF issues in my ownership (in fact, zero issues of any kind), even though a majority of my driving is short urban trips of less than 6 miles. The Mondeo's DPF implementation seems to be robust: it does not use Eolys fluid (unlike the Peugeot / Citroen versions of the engine) so there's less to go wrong.

What I would say is this: as the timing belt has been done, it sounds like it's done around 100K miles. If it's still on the original DPF, it will be getting full of non-combustible ash, and may need replacing soon.

At the time of launch, Ford's own press material suggested a typical DPF service life of around 100 - 120K miles. So I would suggest pricing up a replacement DPF, and using that to haggle on purchase price.

That model Mondeo is a big, comfy car that's good to drive and swallows any load you throw at it. The performance is decent rather than good - the gearing in 4th / 5th / 6th is a little too tall in my view. Also, don't expect much more than early 40s mpg: I averaged 42.5mpg during the time I had mine.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - Paulsxf
Go to etis.ford.com, change preferences to UK, and put in the reg. You should then get the full car build information.

Many thanks for the above responses, much appreciated. Very interesting and helpfull to hear of craig pd130's experiences of this car. I have actually owned a MK4 estate before. In 2014 i (briefly) had a 58 reg Zetec 1.8 Tdci (non-dpf), and thoroughly enjoyed the car, experiencing no problems whatsoever. The only reason i got rid of it was, my 21 yr old daughter had just passed her test, and no insurer in the land would offer an affordable quote for her to go onto my Mondeo insurance, so instead i P/X'd for a Focus 1.8 Tdci estate which was affordable (just) to insure her on. She now has her own Fiesta, so I'm now able to upgrade with no complications. My paranoia with DPF's stems from a Peugeot 407SW i owned from 2008-10. No end of problems with that one, ended up costing me an arm and a leg, however i realise the Mondeo has a different system (no eloyses) and the 2.0 Tdci has an excellent reputation within the trade. So all things considered, i'll take my interest further. providing the dealer offers me a fair P/X price for my Focus. I'll let you know how i get on. Thanks again.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - Railroad.
To the best of my knowledge all diesel cars manufactured from 2009 onwards must be fitted with a diesel particulate filter to enable them to comply with the relevant emission regulations. Such vehicles must do 'proper' mileage if future problems with the DPF are to be avoided. Walk away from a low mileage diesel car, because no matter how attractive it may seem it will cost you, and only consider buying a petrol model unless you are doing plenty of longer motorway journeys.
Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - Tester

Is it other posters' experience that Eolys-based DPF systems are troublesome, as implied here? I'm just a bit surprised because it strikes me as pretty simple: catalyst (Eolys fluid) gets added to the fuel tank every time you open the filler cap and this lowers the 'ignition temperature' for particulates caught in the filter so that they start to burn off at a relatively low temperature. I guess it would be a problem if you don't get it up to even that lower temperature often enough through lots of short trips from cold starts, but isn't that the bugbear for all modern diesels?

For what it's worth I've had a Citroen C5 2.2 HDi (about the first Eolys-equipped PSA car, I think, unless some Peugeot beat Citroen to it) since 2002 and the DPF system has been no trouble at all. I replaced the actual filter at 94,000 miles and have had the fluid topped up a couple of times, and that's been it.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - Gibbo_Wirral

Is it other posters' experience that Eolys-based DPF systems are troublesome, as implied here? I'm just a bit surprised because it strikes me as pretty simple:

Just a quick update, had a lengthy test drive and was satisfied enough to want to purchase this car. However, amicable as things were at first, it soon went quickly south when the PX price the salesman quoted, resulted in, lets just say, a bit of an angry outburst from my good self. Now i've got nothing against a dealer making an honest profit, that's what their in business for. But, the Mondeo, a 10 plate Zetec estate with FSH and 103k on the clock was up at £5295, which having done my research, i thought was a fair price. However, the PX i offered, a 59 plate Focus Style 1.8 Tdci estate also with FSH and 114k on the clock, and in excellent condition, he valued at. (Wait for it), £750!!, yes you read that right, A total p***-take. Still, not a totally wasted exercise as i now know that the Mondeo 2.0 Tdci estate (in whatever model variant) will be top of my list when i do find a reputable dealer willing to offer a sensible PX price on my current car.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - Quoth

Sadly, the offer you got is about right for a trade in at a dealer :( It's not at all a good price but the dealer will not take any risks on having it for a while and will simply send to the auctions. That's why it's better trying to sell privately if you can.

It's always good to try to build up a friendship with a local mechanic who also deals in cars and there is a chance that he/she will sell it for you.

Anyway, let us know how you get on with the car search!

Thanks for your kind response-Quoth. In all honesty i was expecting around £1295-1500 for my Focus, this being well below Parkers lowest valuation. Having studied the Auto-Trader ad's for a considerable time (both trade & private) i have yet to find a car exactly like mine for less than £3600, indeed many garages are happy to charge closer to £4000 for this car. If i had been offered a P/X of around £1300 i would probably have begrudingly accepted it, such was my desire to own the Mondeo. Assuming the dealer had then sold my Focus for £3600 (which he would'nt have done, he'd have wanted more) then he'd have made a very healthy profit, given the profit he'd already made on the Mondeo by selling it me. I just think this dealer is a greedy b******, all the more so because currently on his pitch is a 58 plate Focus estate (a year older than mine), with 121k, (more miles than mine) and it has the notoriously fault ridden 1.6 Tdci mill. The price?- £4195! . Anyway, thanks for your interest and i will post back when i've concluded a satisfactory deal.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - Quoth

Back in 2005 I purchased a 9 month old Focus from a dealer in Kent, £12,495. Not a great price but I was happy with it. Ghia spec, petrol, was good for what I wanted.

I had a Fiesta to trade in, R reg, 1997 and pretty basic spec. They offered £200 for it. Out of principle, I wouldn't give it to them and stuck a For Sale sign in the window, asking £995.

It went after a couple of days and according to the MOT history checker, is still on the go :) No idea if the buyer kept it or sold it on. Seems to do about 1,000 miles a year these days though.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - Colin Padfield

Been on the FordETIS website, entered my car reg (ML59 ZTG) and can't seem to find the info to say whether ti has a DPF fitted or not.

Unable to find any info on the car at all......

CAn anyone point out what I'm doing wrong please?

Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - craig-pd130

What model is it? If it's a Mondeo, all the 2.0 cars had DPFs from launch.

It was only some 1.8 TDCI engined-models that didn't have DPFs from launch.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - Colin Padfield

It's a 1.8 Duratec TDCi

Edited by Colin Padfield on 22/02/2018 at 12:32

Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - SLO76

It's a 1.8 Duratec TDCi

No DPF then... it was never fitted to this engine.
Ford Mondeo Estate - Does this car have a DPF?. - Galaxy

Been on the FordETIS website, entered my car reg (ML59 ZTG) and can't seem to find the info to say whether ti has a DPF fitted or not.

Unable to find any info on the car at all......

CAn anyone point out what I'm doing wrong please?

I think you will find they've changed the Ford Etis website now.

Before you could just type in your VIN or Reg No to get the full spec of your vehicle when it came off the Ford production line new.

Now, you can still obtain the same information but you have to register. That's not a problem, you can just register as an Independent Garage, which was what I myself did a couple of months ago.

Once registered you can obtain all the Build Information you may require.

Edited by Galaxy on 22/02/2018 at 17:58