Volkswaagen/ Polo 1.4 Twist 2004 - Oil pressure warning light - rmqbrooks

My daughter's 2004 1.4 Polo Twist has a flashing engine oil pressure light. Oil level and pressure is fine.

The power steering also has stopped working.

It is difficult to start, turns fine but not firing.

Diagnostics code ( Bosch P1142, P1553, P1504, P0322)

2 AA engineers and 2 garages have been involved.

MAP sensor, crankshaft sensor , oil pressure and oil filter all replaced

Current status, difficult to start and oil pressure light and exhaust gas warning light on with engine running.

EPC and electro-hydraulic power assisted steering lights on intermittently.

Could this be electrical?

I have taken a look a fuse box ( not one over battery) and fuses seem ok although not completely sure why no fuses in slots15,17,40.

Any suggestions

Volkswaagen/ Polo 1.4 Twist 2004 - Oil pressure warning light - elekie&a/c doctor
Sorry,confused here.does the engine run and does the power steering work?seems to be some confusion in your original post.As for the fuse box,there are only fuses fitted where there are contacts both sides of the fuse locations.

The engine can be started and does run.

The power steering is not working

Volkswaagen/ Polo 1.4 Twist 2004 - Oil pressure warning light - skidpan

My daughter's 2004 1.4 Polo Twist has a flashing engine oil pressure light. Oil level and pressure is fine

How have you ascertained that the oil pressure is OK.

And as a matter of interest what does the handbook say about a flashing oil pressure light.

Volkswaagen/ Polo 1.4 Twist 2004 - Oil pressure warning light - elekie&a/c doctor
The power steering is electric/hydraulic.The pump sits in the left front wing ,below the battery.You will need to remove the battery to check the fluid level.There are 2 fuses for the pas system.the main power fuses sits in the fuse box on top of the battery.The second ignition fuse is located in the fuse box at the end of dash,drivers side.

many thanks

I have not yet managed to get the top fuse cover off the fuses located above the battery and under the battery cover and I also haven't found a fuse guide which identifies the power steering fuse being there.

There are two plastic clips either side of a 3 inch cover but I guess I will need to lever something off to get to the fuses.

With the other faulst that I am experiencing I an wondering if there is something more than just a fuse problem with electrics.

e.g it is still extremely difficult to get started and the oil pressure nlight comes on when the engine is running and also sometimes when attempting to start the car

Oil pressure has been checked by ETech in Pampisford near sawston in Cambridge and is fine.

Oil, filter all replaced. Pumop checked and is fine

Manual just says don't drive if red oil light flashing hence we are a bit stuck currently

Volkswaagen/ Polo 1.4 Twist 2004 - Oil pressure warning light - jc2

RED??? oil light!

the warning light on the instrument cluster is a red light and it bleeps for a few seconds when it first comes on when

Volkswaagen/ Polo 1.4 Twist 2004 - Oil pressure warning light - Perfection

Are you sure its the oil pressure indicator? OR you misread the indicator of the water temperature warning indicator? I made the same mistake on a Golf mk5, all thinking along its the oil indicator, but it turned out its marginally low on the water reservoir. The car bleeps when the car is cold start. I believe they water level is slightly lower when cold. The bleep goes away after a few seconds but will continue to flash. When water is topped up over the minimum line the indicator never came up again .

Please confirm you are not confused with the warning indicator.

Not confused, the warning light is the one shaped like an oil can below the water temp light

Volkswaagen/ Polo 1.4 Twist 2004 - Oil pressure warning light - Big John

Might sound strange but check the battery - difficult to start and elctro/mechanical power steering disabled a potential clue. It's also this time of year when it gets cold that they suddenly fail

Re electro/mechanical power steering most cars disable this if battery or charging failing as it uses a LOT of current

I've just had a similar issue with my Fiat Panda - Hard to start and warning message about check power steering(also electric) -new battery time!

Edited by Big John on 15/02/2016 at 22:54

thank you for suggestion, the battery is fine although I have not yet been able to prise the top fuse cover off below the battery cover to check those fuses.

any tips for getting that cover off?

I have managed to get the fuse cover off the top fuse box over the battery and there are 4 fuses, a 52, a 30, empty slot and then two 5 amp fuses. All in perfect condition

Volkswaagen/ Polo 1.4 Twist 2004 - Oil pressure warning light - slkfanboy

When you say the battery is fine have you tested it or is that an asumption?

Probably time to ask a mechanic with Vagcom or Vcds to access the info in the instrument pod and the electronics of the pas system.Don,t think the battery will be your problem.

long time experienced VW engineer has done diagnostic today and identified crankshaft sensor as problem.

Garage last week replaced with Bosch and they are now going to replace tomorrow.

Still concerned that power steerig pump coming on when trying to start car and stays on for 20 seconds when car not starting

Barry's service Centre in Cambridge have done a sterling job spending many hours tracing wiring to ECU and checking connections and have now replaced what we think was a faulty crankshaft sensor and located broken/ corroded wiring in main loom and soldering in repair sections as necessary.

Has anyone else had similar problems with wiring in main loom