Can I hand wash my car in my drive - Elletram
My son was out washing my car and his at 4.30 in the afternoon one Saturday on his day off from work and the neighbour came out accusing him of running a car washing business from the house which we aren't and started threatening him by saying he was going to the council. On another occasion he was washing his friends car. He's 20 believe it or not quite quiet doesn't drink, smoke spends his wages on his car it really is his only vice. He was using the hose and uses a bucket to hand wash we don't even own a pressure washer. It's really upset me as I don't like confrontation and I'd be the first to give him into trouble but he wasn't carrying on or shouting just washing his car with his 2 pals there. I don't know what to do about this. Any ideas. I live in a private estate with a double garage and double drive. Neighbours house is at the side. It's not a shared drive with them. The other time he was shouted at was at 3 in the afternoon. The couple don't work shifts.

Edited by Elletram on 08/02/2016 at 08:06

Can I hand wash my car in my drive - Bromptonaut

If it's simply a question of neighbour alleging business use without planning permission then so what? Don't get in a confontation, tell them calmly that there is no business and let them report it. If the council pursue it then initially they will write or visit and you/your son can explain the position. Enforcement action needs evidence.

Only other thought is whether there is any sort of restrictions applied by covenants - agreements entered into as a condition of sale/purchase.

Do you have access to your deeds and/or the conveyancer's report from when you bought the place? That documentation will tell you whether there are any relevant restrictions. It would be unlikely though, these more comonly deal with nuisance stuff like keeping fowl or pigs. They do though often prohibit use for business (often excepting professions like accountancy or architects!) and might also prohibit vans, particulalry if signwritten.

OTOH if neighbours can record multiple 'friends' cars coming going or parking congestio, evidenced by phone pictures and registration numbers, then then you might have a problem!!!!!

Thanks for that. Lol thank goodness we dont keep pigs or fowl lol and it's only our cars no vans they are pretty quiet it's a bleedin nightmare I feel so angry but I'm trying to keep calm
Can I hand wash my car in my drive - FoxyJukebox

I don't think you have anything to fear,however your neighbour has clearly been irritated by this. I'm not on his "side" , but I have to say I would begin to question excessive car washing and talking going on next door in a quiet residential area, in the same way as you might take issue if you heard persistant DIY (internal or-worse still- external) drilling going on all weekend!

Keep the peace by explaining what's happening-eg it's your family and friends washing cars-not a mobile business or whatever.

Can I hand wash my car in my drive - FP

"... I would begin to question excessive car washing and talking..."

We don't know from the OP that the car-washing is "excessive", whatever that means anyway, and I can't believe anyone is going to object to talking.

However, if there appears to be a lot of different cars getting washed (friends' or not), it might look dodgy.

"... your neighbour has clearly been irritated by this." I'm not sure what the neighbour has been irritated by and sometimes people (not just neighbours) can be weird and irrational.

We don't really have enough information to make definitive comments, but my general advice would be: neighbours can be difficult, but it's well worth doing your best to get on with them - they can make life very unpleasant otherwise.

Can I hand wash my car in my drive - Bromptonaut

Just following the neighbours thing generally.....

Folks who've lived on a development for years, particularly if they were first occupiers, can get a bit proprietorial. Theyy see new arrivals with youngsters as a 'lowering the tone' (never mind their own kids lived at home for years.

It can colour their views. Try being as friendly as you can, seek 'advice' abot gardens and be ready to take in packages if they're out.

Thanks for the reply we've been here for 8 years and never had a problem with any neighbours we all get on really well and are friendly the neighbour has just moved in there from another house in the estate in the last year. And the previous owner never had an issue with my sun washing his car in a sat it's a nightmare I'll go to citizens advice today and see what they say I just want to be one step ahead of her I feel shes just trying to cause trouble I actually wonder if it was my husband and his friend out there if she would complain to him ... Probably not the other issue I've got is my sons not a kid anymore he's 20
Can I hand wash my car in my drive - TedCrilly

Washing your car on your own property is no more ureasonable than mowing your own lawn and the council will have far more imprtant things to concern them than petty minded neighbours. If they do decide to investigate they will try and build a case first and probably ask your neighbour to start recording the dates/times that cars are being washed on your drive, maybe even takes some photos.

Play him at his own game and dont give him the ammo. Keep your own records of whose car was washed and when. Then if anyone from the town hall does come knocking and asking questions you have will be able to give them answers. If your son is regularly washing random cars on a regular basis it will appear suspicious, however if he is doing it as a favour for a friend once in a while they will have a hard time proving otherwise.

Do however ensure that any waste water does not cause nuisance or intrude on anyone elses property as these could be legitimate reasons to complain

It's not even every week he washes his pals car it's only if the hose is out and he's washing ours and his pal turns up lol he has 2 friends and they both drive so she must see it's the same people lol I'm so glad I have security cameras fitted ... They only point on the drive so there's no issue there
He washes his car in a sat so I wouldn't say it's excessive as he's always at work and they are quiet they ain't rowdy and I do t think my son and 2 pals is a crowd hanging about either my son feels he can't wash his car now. I know every parent thinks their kids are saints but I actually have it on camera him washing the cars and he isn't being out of order it's a nightmare think I'll go to citizens advice today see what they say I feel horrible
Can I hand wash my car in my drive - FP

It does sound as if you're getting very stressed as a result of this, but do try to keep it in proportion.

Elsewhere you say, "... it's a bleedin nightmare I feel so angry..." "... I just want to be one step ahead of her I feel shes just trying to cause trouble..." Please do try not to get emotional - you could be drawn into a very damaging feud. Don't think of anything to "get ahead". If you do go to the council or Citizens' Advice, think of it as being prepared, no more.

There could be all sorts of reasons your neighbour is complaining and the car-washing could be just an excuse. I gather the neighbour is a woman and there could be some sort of female jealousy or rivalry at work here. Is she single, by any chance?

Edited by FP on 08/02/2016 at 11:35

Hahaha no she's married that was funny thanks for making me laugh I needed that I was at a party over Christmas and someone told me she had a run in with the neighbour at the other side of her so I'm starting to think she's just a moaner but I'm not having it with me as I said if I thought we were genuinely in the wrong fair enough lol
Can I hand wash my car in my drive - bathtub tom

The OP says the neighbour recently moved from another house on the estate.

I wonder why..................................?

Can I hand wash my car in my drive - skidpan

The OP says the neighbour recently moved from another house on the estate.

I wonder why..................................?

Many years ago we had a new neighbour move in about 3 doors away. Almost immediately they started complaining to the council about many issues that had never been issues before and they became universally disliked. Soon disovered they had done exactly the same at thier previous address.

Best laugh was when they started to build a new garage with no planning or building reg approval, in fact they built it off the drive with no foundations. Neighbour waited until it was nearly complete and then raised the issues with the council. They were issued with stop notices and had to demolish it at great expense. Replacement was much smaller but compliant.

They soon moved on.

Can I hand wash my car in my drive - focussed

This sort of behaviour by a sticky-beak neighbour is a small part of why I moved out of the UK to a rural hamlet in north-west france.

I've got an acre an a half of land for the price of a uk terraced house and i love it.

I got totally widdled off with the uk neighbour to the the left whingeing that I had nicked an inch of his garden and the neighbour to the right complaining to the council about my bonfire - which was not me but another house behind me.

Nobody here would care two hoots if I washed ten cars a day, as it is I wash our own cars less frequently than I ought to.

ohhhh thats bad lol i dont think i would do that

so maybe moving out is a good idea i might have a look on slater hoggs website and find a house in the country lol

Can I hand wash my car in my drive - oldroverboy.

From your location, Is your neighbour irritated because

a. Your son is playing the pipes while he cleans

or

b. you did/didn't vote for independance.

:-)

now the pipes lol that would be something to complain about lol

Edited by Elletram on 09/02/2016 at 08:04

Can I hand wash my car in my drive - bathtub tom
now the pipes lol that would be something to complain about lol

I've a neighbour a couple of doors away who practises the pipes every afternoon. I've lived here forty years, and he ain't getting any better!

He does it shut in his detached garage and as he's doing everything in his ability to minimise disturbance, I'm quite happy to live with it - and earplugs!

Can I hand wash my car in my drive - focussed

There can be only one thing worse than that.

My two daughters practicing the violin in the early days before they could play the things without making a screeching noise!

Can I hand wash my car in my drive - concrete

Not much you can do about unreasonable neighbours except a charm offensive. Invite them in for a cup of tea and ask them to outline their concerns rationally. Then you can reply rationally. It is not really unreasonable to expect to clean your own cars on your own drive every week. Also ask them to bring their car over one Saturday and your son will clean it for them as a good neighbourly gesture. If this doesn't work then you will probably always have an awkward relationship with them. Some people will cause a row in an empty house. So you grin and bear it when it does happen or move. Moving is too drastic and expensive so try charm first. I am sure you could charm the birds from the trees if you tried.

Cheers Concrete

Well folks I think she is bored now she seems to have given up complaining either that or she's gone to the council and they have told her to get a life lol since she found out I installed the cameras she hasn't said a peep. I think she was just being a bully ..... wonder who will be her next victim
Can I hand wash my car in my drive - John F

Elletram, I really enjoyed your astonishing story. As some of us only own a tiny area of the UK, often borrowing money to do so, I wonder if you asked your neighbouring termagant on whose land and at what time she thought the car should be washed if not on the drive/road where you live? Perhaps she had a religious objection? I have read that such 'work' is forbidden on the 'sabbath' in some communities.

Can I hand wash my car in my drive - SLO76
Some folks just like to cause trouble but this is the first time I've heard about someone throwing a tantrum about a neighbour washing a motor.

She'd enjoy living next door to my old neighbour. When I viewed the house I spotted the elderly couple next door pottering around in the garden and the ancient well kept Honda Civic in the drive and thought they'd be no bother. How wrong can someone be? Screeching karaoke at all hours, m****ic screaming at football on the TV and a complete denial of either when (initially) politely pulled up for it.

The ignorance and lack of common decency in some people astounds me. I'd've been delighted if he had been out washing cars all day long...

Can I hand wash my car in my drive - Dwight Van Driver

nudge nudge wink wink.......

those with an interest in this post have a butchers at the Highways ACTS

IF it a very dirty car and muck in water washed onto highway then.......".yer nicked get in my motor son......."

dvd

Can I hand wash my car in my drive - skidpan

nudge nudge wink wink.......

those with an interest in this post have a butchers at the Highways ACTS

IF it a very dirty car and muck in water washed onto highway then.......".yer nicked get in my motor son......."

dvd

Well its not relevant round these parts according to one council employee. A couple of years ago a Wheely Bin washing chap started to visit our street immediately following the bin wagon. Before anyone goes down the usual route some on this forum follow I will confim its not a foreign national, its a local chap with a tranny and a jet wash. Since I have a life I don't give a monkeys about the bin, its for putting rubbish in, I don't live in the fekking thing so it can stay dirty. Anyway, when he had washed a bing he upturned it and dumpted the contents on the road and drove onto the next part of the street. Next door but one to us there was a large pile in the gutter when he had done about 5 bins.

So I rang the council and the person I spoke to told me it was no difference to washing my car on the street. To say I was not happy is an understatement, asked him when he had last washed dog poo bags etc off his car, took his name and e-mailed the director responsible for bins etc. Within 10 minutes got a call back asking me to tell him exactly what was happening, when and the name of the company. Turns out they had been issued with a notice in another part of the district and simply moved area. Pretty sure the council closed them down.

The local coalman recently set up cleaning bins, not much coal to sell these days. He collects all the rubbish and puts it ina bin in the back of the van but it still leaves some mess and I personally think it constitutes a small health hazard. Being comunity spirited I will let someone else complain this time. We moved out anyway.