Physical Fitness and driving - scot22

There a many books on physical fitness in general : does anyone know if there is anything available where advice is given on maintaining and improving fitness specifically related to driving.

Too many times I've seen drivers who would appear to phsically struggle with the demands of driving.

This is with people of all ages.

Physical Fitness and driving - skidpan

Annual medical followed by driving assessment if the medical person decided it was required but how happy would you be paying for this. It would not be free.

I agree that some obese people appear to struggle with the controls but since being obese is not currently a crime its not a reason enough to stop people driving.

I am not wishing to demonise obese people. Ther suffer enough. However, if anybody is not fit to drive for whatever reason they should not be permitted to drive - there are other ways to get from A to B. I am also thinking about flexibility and reaction times which are linked to fitness.

I would be happy to pay for something which contributed to more safety on the road. The OP is intended to discover if any work has been done in this area and useful advice produced.

Physical Fitness and driving - slkfanboy

Physical demands of driving? For me the physical pumped up adrenaline junkies determine to cut you up at all cost worry me more than the rather more laid back friends who are just happy to make it to the next set of traffic lights.

The OP was about one aspect of driving. Just asking if anyone knew of any information/advice on the matter.

Driving has significant physical demands : I was not seeking to compare elements contributing to safer motoring.

Physical Fitness and driving - alan1302

I don't think there are really any specific fitness regimes needed for driving - just generally being able to use the pedals/wheel reasonably well and being able to move to look round etc.

Physical Fitness and driving - RobJP

Of course, GB has to have a medical at 5 yearly intervals. I still do too, to keep my (currently not-being-used) HGV licence active.

Physical Fitness and driving - Bromptonaut

Driving has significant physical demands

In what way? OK, reaction times are in play but driving's not aerobic exercise is it?

I'd rather be driven by my mid sixties colleague who's a bit out of breath after three floors of stairs than the youngster who runs up without any apparent change in respiration.

Physical Fitness and driving - Smileyman

driving is very demanding, especially in urban areas with junctions, roundabouts, stopping / starting etc, then there is parking, whether it be at the roadside or in a bay at a car park and technology such as power steering, automatic transmission can only go so far in easing the demand

fitness to drive is very important, not just eyesight but (as already stated) in areas like reaction time, and controlling a car in an emergency stop. It has be questioned if any person recovering from surgery of any form, or unable to sit properly at the controlls (be it size, height or lack of etc) to reach all the controls and make proper use of all the windows / mirrors are such people fit to drive?

Even someone suffering from acute hay feaver might be classed as being unfit to drive

Edited by Smileyman on 03/02/2016 at 21:56

Physical Fitness and driving - movilogo

While not arguing about physical fitness, psychological mood is more contributing factor for probablity of accident.

I recommend everyone to read the book titled "Roadcraft". Costs ~£10 new.

It is used for Police training but 90% of content is applicable to any driver.

Physical Fitness and driving - madf

I do hours of rigorous physical training every week so I can stay alive and manage to turn the steering wheel (power assisted), change gear (automatic), reverse park (sensors), brake( power assisted) and see my speed (auto set to warn me).

And then I can crash into somone I fail to see.

Good eyesight, judgement, anticipation and reactions are better than physical fitness

Physical Fitness and driving - John F

Too many times I've seen drivers who would appear to phsically struggle with the demands of driving.

As I cannot imagine/understand this I would be interested in a more precise description of drivers in the 20 - 50 age range struggling. With what?

Physical Fitness and driving - madf

As I cannot imagine/understand this I would be interested in a more precise description of drivers in the 20 - 50 age range struggling. With what?

Drink or more likely drugs judging by local court reports.

Some valuable and interesting posts. Yes, it needs to be integrated into the whole picture, e.g eyesight, psychological.

I do not know why the limit of 20-50 has been introduced. For example, anyone may have problems with moving feet freely and, when necessary, quickly - watch some people after they get out of a car. Not all cars have everything automatic and even then concentration needs to be sustained. Lack of fitness leads to tiring more easily which relects in lower concentration.

I am reasonably fit, probably above average, but in my opinion driving does have physical demands.

Physical Fitness and driving - skidpan

I regularly see drivers that are so obese they struggle to steer the car. They cannot turn their heads or bodies to look around them. They generally drive inapropriate cars that are way too small for them. The age limit for this problem is not 50, it applies to all ages.

But being obese is not a crime and how would the authorities ensure drivers are able to control a car safely.

I agree completely skidpan. The answer to your question would require unpopular legislation and enforcement which I do not expect politicians would risk implementing.

There are potential risks but I believe there should be more unmarked police cars and a generalised requirement for fitness, in all aspects, to drive.

Getting poor drivers off the road would have the added benefit of reducing congestion.

Physical Fitness and driving - galileo

I regularly see small ladies peering through the steering wheel because they are too low to see over it: either they don't have adjustable-height seats (or don't know how to raise them) or don't have the wit to use a cushion. Usually, they are in large, expensive cars too.

Physical Fitness and driving - Wackyracer

I recently took an elderly neighbour into town, he is mid 70's and does drive himself. I was shocked at how hard he found it to get in and out of the van.

I do think people with limited neck movement or frozen shoulders should be assessed for fitness to drive. I remember years ago watching a TV program about drivers and there was an elderly chap with a wonderful old car but, as he couldn't turn his head around due to neck problems etc. his 'technique' was to just reverse until he heard a bang and then it was time to go forward.

Physical Fitness and driving - Sofa Spud

I regularly see small ladies peering through the steering wheel because they are too low to see over it: either they don't have adjustable-height seats (or don't know how to raise them) or don't have the wit to use a cushion. Usually, they are in large, expensive cars too.

Those 'small ladies' are statistically balanced out by the huge fat men, usually with shaved heads, who look like they've been poured into the driving seats of their double-cab 4x4 pickups - the sort who wait in the supermarket car park with the engine running while their wife / common-law partner does the weekly shop.

Mental fitness to drive is probably more important than physical fitness. Tired, hung-over, stressed, worried or angry people don't drive at their best. Think about how one's driving is affected when lost or when one's vehicle isn't running properly.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 05/02/2016 at 13:28

I agree with your point about mental fitness Sofa Spud. All of these factors need to be considered and there have been worthwhile posts on this.

Unfortunately, as has been posted many times in the past those who should respond to their driving limitations are the ones who don't think.

As I have posted many times driving is not taken seriously enough, both environment and drivers.

Physical Fitness and driving - Avant

As a child in the 1950s in Farnham (Surrey/Hants border) I well remember a big Daimler Conquest being driven either by a large retired officer. Colonel Darnley-Anderson......or by nobody (in reality his 5'0" wife). In those days seats moved fore and aft, but not up and down. That should be avoidable nowadays with the great majority of cars having seat height adjustment.

But I don't think she ever had an accident.