SEAT Leon Cupra - Ignition wiring repair lasted 1 month - Nikki-C

Sorry for the long post.

I took my car into my local garage to investigate a fault with the ignition. RAC said it was the ignition switch or wiring. Silly me, I told the garage that the RAC reported that the switch was faulty, but I failed to also mention the possible wiring fault.

The repair costs included 3 hours of labour for pointlessly dissecting and reassembling the igntion switch. The actual repair was worn out ignition wiring and a charge for resetting the error codes.

So a month later I experience the same fault. This time RAC report that the spade terminal to the starter solenoid has broken off. This is the area the mechanic worked on. The RAC guy says the starter motor may have to be replaced because it could be difficult to solder on a terminal to the stump of the terminal left, unless a lead wire is somehow soldered on instead.

Does it sound reasonable to have to pay the same mechanic to now replace the starter motor when their wiring repair may have caused the metal fatigue which led to the spade terminal breaking off? Or maybe the original problem was a problem with the starter terminal, and replacing the wiring temporarily fixed the issue.

I'm annoyed enough to have a look at the starter solenoid myself (I've changed a battery before..and I'm handy with a soldering iron..). The car can actually be started by holding the spade connector against the broken terminal.

Any suggestions welcome.

SEAT Leon Cupra - Ignition wiring repair lasted 1 month - skidpan

I'm annoyed enough to have a look at the starter solenoid myself (I've changed a battery before..and I'm handy with a soldering iron..).The car can actually be started by holding the spade connector against the broken terminal.

Any suggestions welcome.

You have suggested a cheap solution yourself.

SEAT Leon Cupra - Ignition wiring repair lasted 1 month - Nikki-C

I've never done much in way of car repairs. I have access to a lot of tools. It's just confidence. Thanks!