Volkswagen Polo - No fault accident, hire car offered? - lordwoody

My car ( and a neighbours) was hit by an elderly lady yesterday, who then drove off. We have informed the insurance company and police of her number.

Direct Line, our insurers, have offered us a car, but there are two options.

1. An Enterprise hire car for 3 weeks, if the repair takes longer, we have to pay.

2. Another company ( Quandrill?) will supply us with a car for as long as the repair takes.

I'm sure I have heard of problems with option 2, which is the best one to go for?

The woman who crashed into us was insured, our insurance company have informed us.

Edited by lordwoody on 26/10/2015 at 10:53

Volkswagen Polo - No fault accident, hire car offered? - skidpan

If you have paid the small extra premium (ours is about £20) on your insurance for a garanteed courtesy car the approved repairer should simply drop a car off with you when they collect your car for repair. If you don't use the approved repairer you don't get a car.

If you havn't paid the extra premium you are at risk of getting lumbered with huge hire car fees if the 3rd party's insurers don't accept responsibilty.

If I did not have the garanteed courtesy car on my policy I would refuse whatever I was offered. Too much of a risk. Cheaper to walk, use lifts, the bus, taxis etc for the short time the car is off the road.

Our policy includes a courtesy car, which Direct Line have already offered us, via Enterprise Hire Cars here in Ipswich where we live. This is not the same place that will repair the car and is for 3 weeks only . My wife spoke to Direct Line and although they wre happy to go the Enterprise route, she felt she was being pushed towards the accident management company.

Edited by lordwoody on 26/10/2015 at 11:07

Volkswagen Polo - No fault accident, hire car offered? - daveyjp

As the third party is obviously at fault they could deal with all this without DL involvement, including providing the courtesy car.

I have already involved Direct Line now, and the police. I want to resolve this through my insurance company and I need some quck advice about which hire car option to choose. I don't want to be out of pocket if I use the accident management company DL are suggesting.

The last time I had to deal with an accident was for Dad when he hit a barrier. The car was drivable so I agreed that they would only collect it when they had programmed the work in meaning Dad did not have an hire car while a prefectly drivable car was sitting in a car park. They collected Thursday, phoned Friday to say repairs authorised, started work Monday and delivered car back following Monday meaning Dad had the car for less than 2 weeks.

But on Aviva's policy there is no time limit for courtesy cars whilst your car is being repaired. The only limit is when they write your car off and there is a strict time scale when the courtesy car will be collected, cannot remeber what it is though.

I don't want to be out of pocket if I use the accident management company DL are suggesting

DO NOT USE THE ACCIDENT MANAGEMENT COMPANY, THEY WILL ROB YOU

Edited by skidpan on 26/10/2015 at 11:16

Mine isn't driveable unfortunately. DL said we had a policy with a guaranteed hire car, but only for 3 weeks. The repair doesn't look major, there is minor bodywork damage but the passenger side front wheel is sticking out at about 45 degrees whilst the other one is pointing forwards, so some steering damage at least.

OK guys, problem solved, I have declined the accident management company and Direct Line will supply the car via a car hire company here in Ipswich. DL originally told me this would only be for 3 weeks but on ringing back they tell me it will be provided until the car is repaired. My wife said that she got the impression, when she spoke to DL, that they were really pushing the accident management route. Thanks for all your help.

Direct Line will supply the car via a car hire company here in Ipswich. DL originally told me this would only be for 3 weeks but on ringing back they tell me it will be provided until the car is repaired.

Exactly how it should be. If you pay the extra you should get the car.