VW Passat/ Skoda Superb - VW 1.6 and 2.0 TDI Reliability? - Krell

Hi there.. As u maybe remember few months ago i sold my Honda CR-V (2012) becouse in this period we dont need a bigger car, and we can survive using our secound car Citroen C3 1.4 HDI (2011).

Im not planning to buy a new car right now, but still i checked what is offered on the market (for brand new cars).

Of course i went first to check new Honda CR-V, but as i can see its too expensive (33000 eur here).

Checked Nissan Qashqai, but feel a bit cheap (i have tried previous model, and not impressed at all). Also i saw Renault Kadjar.. I didnt know that is highest level of equpment and look nice, except the price (30000 eur), and when i checked more base version, very cheap looking inside.

Anyway, in this moment the best offer it is from Volkswagen and Skoda.

There is Passat B8, with 1.6 TDI Engine for 23000 eur with a lot of equipment. Skoda Superb with 2.0 TDI Engine is about same price, and again a lot of equipment. I tried yesterday Passat 1.6 TDI 120 hp, and very nice interior, very comofrt seats, comfortable. I found out the performance of 1.6 on sluggish side (i need to rev on higher RPM, a bit letargic and noise), but let's say it can work out. Also i tried Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI 150 hp, and this engine would be perfect.. Very relaxed, not need to shift a gear as much as in 1.6 ... I found out that Passat have a bit better handling (on firmer side), but Superb is softer so maybe a bit more comfortable on potholes, but worst when u have to drive a curve roads..

In fuel consumption 2.0 Tdi needed 0.5 L/100 more then 1.6 TDI (highway driving 2.0 TDI needed 6.3 L/100 , and 1.6 Tdi 5.8 L/100 (according to Board Computer)).

CR-V Fuel Consumption were 7.2 l/100 (my personal record), but with about 110 km/h of driving speed. If i drive like yesterday, it would need about 9.5 L/100. In city driving consumption were from 10.5 l/100 up to 13 (most of time 12 L/100). Passat TDI Engines city driving need about 7 L/100 or max 8 L/100. Here Petrol is 20% more expensive then Diesel.

Our Citroen C3 1.4 HDI have 37000 km on the clock, and i bought it with 19000 km (2 years ago). Most of the time we drove in City (short runs), and until now no problems at all.. Fuel Consumption (City: 6.5-7 l/100, lowest highway about 5-5.5 L/100) Im saying this to describe my frist impressions with diesel engines.Until this i never bought a diesel, becouse i worried about reliability specialy for short runs

So one of the reason i consider Passat or Superb are their Fuel Consumption (beside they are really comofrotable and tons of nice equipment). Also resale value of Passat is very high here

What do u think about their reliability (of 1.6 TDI and 2.0TDI) ? How reliable are this? Should i consider them at all? Or i should wait for lower price for a new Honda, and just to dont worry about higher fuel consumption? :)

Edited by Avant on 09/10/2015 at 16:11

VW Passat/ Skoda Super - VW 1.6 and 2.0 TDI Reliability? - skidpan

Checked Nissan Qashqai, but feel a bit cheap

Cannot understand this comment. We have looked the earlier Qashqai in the past and although we liked most aspects at the time it was just too small and the +2 too expensive. The interior was great, better than most in its class.

Recently we bought a Nissan Note and looked at the new Qashqai while we were in the showroom. The quailty of the interior is simply superb, a step up on the previous model and better than any class competitor. The interior space is probably between the 2 old models, possibly perfect for us in the future.

So why do they feel "a bit cheap"?

VW Passat/ Skoda Super - VW 1.6 and 2.0 TDI Reliability? - Krell

Sorry, but thats the feeling i have for Qashqai.

My brother have Qashqai (previous model) 2.0 dCi Tekna (highest level), and when i see his interior after few years, look very poor compared to my experience with Honda for example. But thats just mine point of view :) so if u like it, that u made a nice choice definitly. Also in previous Qashqai i didnt like how it drive (i compared on 350 km run different SUV's and Qashqai for me was the worst, specialy on 1.5 dCi engine).

To have idea why i consier a bit cheap inside, go in Qashqai, then step in in Honda CR-V, and at the end in VW Passat. U'll probably find out why i consider that is cheap looking/feeling

Greetings

VW Passat/ Skoda Super - VW 1.6 and 2.0 TDI Reliability? - alan1302

Checked Nissan Qashqai, but feel a bit cheap

Cannot understand this comment. We have looked the earlier Qashqai in the past and although we liked most aspects at the time it was just too small and the +2 too expensive. The interior was great, better than most in its class.

Recently we bought a Nissan Note and looked at the new Qashqai while we were in the showroom. The quailty of the interior is simply superb, a step up on the previous model and better than any class competitor. The interior space is probably between the 2 old models, possibly perfect for us in the future.

So why do they feel "a bit cheap"?

A feeling of cheap is a pretty personal thing. What looks cheap to one person doesn't to another. Some people like gold taps in the bathroom...some people think they look cheap. It's all a persons perception.

VW Passat/ Skoda Super - VW 1.6 and 2.0 TDI Reliability? - bazza

The VW 1.6 tdi ihas a poor reputation for reliability and also it is not great to drive. The 2.0 tdi is much better. Do not go for the 1.6 tdi!

As a brand, VW reliability is average and not as good overall as Honda. It depends how long you intend to keep the car, outside of warranty I would not want to own a modern diesel at all! What about one of the much improved 1.4 TSi petrol versions, don't limit yourself to diesel as there are some excellent petrol alternatives.

VW Passat/ Skoda Super - VW 1.6 and 2.0 TDI Reliability? - Krell

They have so much trouble with 1.4 TSi engines, that im totaly afraid to even think about buying :).

Also resale value would be much lower (if i need to sale), and also fuel consumption. And probably i'll keep that car longer (outside of warranty), so reliability is important. But im sure that there should be at least 120 000 km worry free driving? Or im wrong ? :)

VW Passat/ Skoda Super - VW 1.6 and 2.0 TDI Reliability? - Engineer Andy

They have so much trouble with 1.4 TSi engines, that im totaly afraid to even think about buying :).

Also resale value would be much lower (if i need to sale), and also fuel consumption. And probably i'll keep that car longer (outside of warranty), so reliability is important. But im sure that there should be at least 120 000 km worry free driving? Or im wrong ? :)

The 1.4 TSi engine you are speaking of the twin-charger one with chain-driven engine, a turbo and a supercharger. The newest one is just a turbo with (I think) a belt driven engine. Thus far, less triubles, but given VW's woes recently, you never know. You might want to check what variant of 1.6 and 2ltr diesel engines on those VAG cars you like, given they may form part of the recall/fix, which could affect both resell value and performance.

VW Passat/ Skoda Superb - VW 1.6 and 2.0 TDI Reliability? - Avant

You can get the 2.0 TDI engine in the Golf and Octavia if you don't want another big car. Only go for the diesel if your annual mileage is very high. The current 1.4 TSI should be fine.