Dash cams - how much difference do they make? - daveyw

I'm thinking of buying a dash cam in order to catch and shame other drivers. I live in Norwhich and don't come across a lot of road idiocy, but when someone messes up around here they REALLY mess up.

I'm curious about other peoples' experiences with dash cams and what to look for.

Dash cams - how much difference do they make? - Leif

I sent three videos to the police.

1) Driver pulls out in front of me, while I am doing a good (legal) speed, then comes to a complete halt, for no reason. No action taken.

2) I did an emergency stop to avoid my car being written off by a white van that changed lanes on exiting a roundabout. No action taken.

3) A car in front was overtaken by a van which then did an emergency stop. The car - full of children - went into the van. The van drove off. I sent in a video. As a result the car driver was fined hundreds of pounds and sent on a driving course. No action taken against the van (they had most of the number plate, and a description, and possibly all of the number plate).

Is it useful? To be honest yes, but only in rare cases where an accident happens and you are falsely blamed. Otherwise keep the video to yourself. And it is useful in case you decide to drive poorly, you know there is a silent witness!

Dash cams - how much difference do they make? - slkfanboy

My cam cought an accident on a roundabout between two cars. The lady insisted it was the other drivers fault, even after I show her the video. The Video was sent to both insurance companies and needless to say the lady was found at fault. Saving the other driver the risk of it being classed as 50/50.

Dash cams - how much difference do they make? - gordonbennet

The roads are hell now and only going to get worse, but the public increasingly playing policeman and becoming a supplier of evidence for the CPS whilst the real police vanish isn't the answer.

Having said that we have cameras in our cars now, increasingly the word of people is longer worth a light, so in the event of accident or malicious accusation the video might just help.

Video evidence has already helped a lorry driver i know, someone made accusations of serious tailgating against him to his employer the normal reaction there previously was to believe the complainant, reviewing the footage for the day has proved this as malicious and unfounded and the company is taking a dim view (driver has no access to card nor settings save the emergency reording button so could not have edited it to suit).

Dash cams - how much difference do they make? - Leif

Yes, useful for insurance/malicious claims, which is why I have mine.

Dash cams - how much difference do they make? - Engineer Andy

I sent three videos to the police.

1) Driver pulls out in front of me, while I am doing a good (legal) speed, then comes to a complete halt, for no reason. No action taken.

2) I did an emergency stop to avoid my car being written off by a white van that changed lanes on exiting a roundabout. No action taken.

3) A car in front was overtaken by a van which then did an emergency stop. The car - full of children - went into the van. The van drove off. I sent in a video. As a result the car driver was fined hundreds of pounds and sent on a driving course. No action taken against the van (they had most of the number plate, and a description, and possibly all of the number plate).

Is it useful? To be honest yes, but only in rare cases where an accident happens and you are falsely blamed. Otherwise keep the video to yourself. And it is useful in case you decide to drive poorly, you know there is a silent witness!

Perhaps you would've got a better result if you had said you or anyone other than the party at fault had been racially abused by them - its seems that or being a celebrity is the only sure-fire way of getting arrested them days apart from committing a crime right in front of them.

Dash cams - how much difference do they make? - bathtub tom

A van clipped the front of my car in a car park. The van driver claimed he hadn't touched my car until I pointed out the dash-cam!

Dash cams - how much difference do they make? - Smileyman

Yes, they do have a useful place .... but don't go overboard getting one that is all singing / dancing .. look for quality (night) video, IMO it's more important than tracking your speed, GPS or sound. Also there is no need to keep hours of video on the device, so a smallish memory card will suffice.

What's it for then?... well just to be able to play back the moments leading up to an incident, sufficient so the truth is known. The ability to lock a segment of video is useful for playback later, of course if you are unfortunate to have an accident it's the section just prior to the event that you will need.

I've been using one for perhaps two years now, thankfully never needed to share any video, but last autumn it came in handy to view a flooded section of road I'd driven on an hour earlier.

For me the bigger queston is whether to fit one to the rear of the car, catch the doughnuts who drive too close because I've yet to move to lane one so they can drive at a very illegal speed.

(Of coure if you are fleet manager you may prefer to install more sophisticed devices in the vehicles)

I'll add I keep a spare sd card in the car.

If you want to keep any evidence by removing the card, what happens if a second event occurs? Or a third, fourth etc.................................

Dash cams - how much difference do they make? - alan1302

I'll add I keep a spare sd card in the car.

If you want to keep any evidence by removing the card, what happens if a second event occurs? Or a third, fourth etc.................................

Or put SD card into your smartphone and transfer it on to there and then put SD back in dashcam.

Or put SD card into your smartphone and transfer it on to there and then put SD back in dashcam.

Smartphone, what's one of them? I've only just got round to getting a mobile!

Dash cams - how much difference do they make? - Smileyman

It's worth trying to see if the the picture file can be emailed from the smart phone .... data package / speed / file size permitting

Dash cams - how much difference do they make? - DirtyDieselDogg

Finally pulled the 4 Gig SD card from my road hawk.

been in there since mid 2013

Apart from 361 reasonable hi-def images,(taken at random to test the system was live and working, because it is hidden up behind the rearview mirror and I cannot see the tell-tale lights, I have to take a "still" which gives me a tell-tale shutter "click")

I had a solids continious weeks worth of driving recorded in multiple video clips.

From about 07:30 am to 17:30 pm each day from 1st Oct.

Very impressive resolution during daylight hours at least, not so good after dark.

I grimaced on the couple of occassions I managed to film myself in front of the car when parked(runs independent of ignition switch)

marcus

Dash cams - how much difference do they make? - Manatee

I put one in each of our cars. My wife drove into the back of another car at a roundabout. She accepted it was her fault, but her genuine memory of events was that the car ahead had set off, then stopped again.

In fact, when we reviewed the video, the car had simply stopped and waited. My wife had seen that the roundabout was clear, and had assumed he would go - she had just run into him while looking in a different direction! It turned out that he was from Newcastle, 200 miles away, so he was probably just wondering which way to go...not advised at roundabouts!

Of course this was was of no help with the claim but the interesting point is that what witnesses think happened, and what actually happened, can be very different; let alone when they start lying deliberately.

Neither of us bothers to save video of idiots to post on youtube or send to the police. I suppose we might if we caught a crash-for-cash or similar, but for the most part I think that would be a waste of time.

The main point for us is that there is a good chance we will have some useful evidence if somebody else causes an accident and then lies about it - which seems to happen more often than not.