which car for about £3000? - Mr Carrot Cake

I am looking for a new car after my 306 died, and I have £3000, maybe up for £4000 at a push. Needs to have 4/5 doors, I have two children 5 and 2, so needs to be practical as well, and not too small.

I have been looking at a Nissan Note and a Seat Ibiza. Would they be good used cars? Ideally I'd like something Golf sized but I'm not a big fan of Ford Focuses. I dont want to get something really old either, reliability is quite improtant.

which car for about £3000? - Avant

Avoid the so-called 'premium' German makes, as you'll have to go older for your money. Condition is more important than make or model, but generally something Japanese and petrol-powered will have the best chance of being reliable. Nissan Note or Toyota Auris both well worth a look.

The SEAT Ibiza is on the small side: a Leon is near to the size you're looking for. But you can get more room and the same mechanicals with a Skoda Octavia.

Look for reasonable mileage - not too high, not too low - and some service history if possible.

Thanks for the advice. Honda Civic and Auris look good. There's the Citroen C4 but they seem to get pretty unreliable in terms of electrics after a few years.

which car for about £3000? - craig-pd130

Notes and mid-sized Toyotas are typically bought / owned by a more mature / cautious driver so can make good used buys.

Another slightly left-field choice would be a Volvo S40 or V50 as they are comfortable and relatively spacious, and also fall into the category of usually being owned by a more mature driver.

But in general I'd second Avant's advice: stick to petrol, and try to buy on condition and service history evidence rather than narrowing your choice to a specific make / model.

The only thing putting me off a Note is that a review I read of a 1.6 said it revs at 3500rpm at 70mph. That seems too high and there doesnt seem to have been a 6 speed gearbox option.

which car for about £3000? - Engineer Andy

I doubt of the Volvos would be worth looking at as they'd be too expensive for reasonable examples or too old (and therefore prone to big bills) for one he could afford.

I agree on your's and Avant's other comments - stick to the main known-for-reliability Japanese makes (Toyota, Honda and Mazda, less so Nissan) and petrol (unless high milaage is the norm) mid-sized cars without too many gadgets to go wrong (if you don't absolutely need it [being on a tight budget], don't get it) and go on condition. A bit boring, but a reasonably safe bet. As an alternative, it might be worth considering a mk2 or mk2.5 Ford Focus (similar reliability to Nissans), if you can find a well-regarded main dealer nearby to look after it.

Condition will be paramount - worth checking what wear-and-tear components that may be due (depending on age/mileage) or have been replaced, which would be a sign of a good previous owner and will save on future bills.

which car for about £3000? - expat

Our family have had a good run with Hyundais and Kia might be worth considering also.

As above I agree that Japanese and Korean petrol cars are the way to go.

which car for about £3000? - Andrew-T

If you liked a 306 you could try a 207 - it's the same size footprint. My SW is now 7½ trouble-free years old. Can't speak for the petrol engines, but my 1.6 HDi has given better than 60mpg over that time. The only electrical fault is the heated rear screen, which is probably because it is a lifting hatch in the tailgate.

which car for about £3000? - bernie123

Find yourself a lowish milage VW Bora 130 TDI Highline. It's got everything you need, is quiet, comfortable,very reliable and very economical. Consumable parts are dirt cheap. No emissions rubbish DPF to tend with either. Mines now done 93000 miles, owned by me for the last 10 years, paintwork almost like new and no rust.

It pulls like a train and on a motorway run, can easily get very near a true life 60mpg, and that cruising 70+. Has all the toys,air con, leather, heated seats,parking sensors,steering wheel controls, electric windows, and a massive boot with full size spare wheel.

I had the use of a VW Up a while ago and you would think that it would have been more economical than my Bora. It got nowhere near the consumption of mine and was gutless to boot.

Find a nice one and try it. Superb car for the money, built for quality not to a price.

which car for about £3000? - balleballe

Boras are nice under rated cars with the smooth 1.9pd engine. They're getting on a bit now though so will probably need bits looked at such as suspension etc...

Boras are nice under rated cars with the smooth 1.9pd engine. They're getting on a bit now though so will probably need bits looked at such as suspension etc...

Maybe, mine has all the original suspension and has just passed its MOT OK.

The fact is that because so many Golfs and Boras etc have been made, parts like these are cheap. There are many parts available from reputable manufacturers that are as good as original spec.

An example. Just replaced the rear brake pads and new rear discs. Obtained from Eurocarparts manufactured by Pagid. £53.10. If you search for the cost of other parts, you will be pleasantly surprised how cheap they are.

Contrast that with the car my brother drives. It's a high milage Mercedes 320 CDI CLK, bought relatively cheap at about £10,000. Looks superb but he recently had a front spring snap. Got towed to a dealer for repair and they would only change both at a cost pushing £1000.

If you liked a 306 you could try a 207 - it's the same size footprint. My SW is now 7½ trouble-free years old. Can't speak for the petrol engines, but my 1.6 HDi has given better than 60mpg over that time. The only electrical fault is the heated rear screen, which is probably because it is a lifting hatch in the tailgate.

I'm pretty sure the 207 is smaller inside.

which car for about £3000? - slkfanboy

Good value cars are things like the ford focus, as cheap to run and buy. 207 is rather small if the OP wants golf sized car. As reguards the golf it pricy second hand a few low milage car available. The 5 year old Hyundia i had went very rusty quickly so I would not recommend.

which car for about £3000? - Andrew-T

<< I'm pretty sure the 207 is smaller inside. >>

Perhaps a small amount because of more space taken up by airbags and stuff like that. But the 207 has a higher roofline. I've had both, and the things I had to adapt to from a 306 were vaguer steering (207 has electric assistance), poorer view over a higher bonnet, and on sunny days annoying reflections in the screen.

Unfortunately, while the 306 (like the 205) had no wheel-arch intrusions in the boot area, the 207 sacrificed that advantage.

Edited by Andrew-T on 04/10/2015 at 18:06

which car for about £3000? - jamespeter25

Hello,

I can provide you a number of suggestions for this. My name is James Peter and I am the owner of the site xxxx. I have a passion and desire to help my customers acquire a good used car.

Nothing beats the joy of seeing a customer find the right car without using too much effort and time.

Regards

(Edit: no free advertising.)

Edited by Avant on 07/10/2015 at 23:47

Hello,

I can provide you a number of suggestions for this. My name is James Peter and I am the owner of the site xxxx. I have a passion and desire to help my customers acquire a good used car.

Nothing beats the joy of seeing a customer find the right car without using too much effort and time.

Regards

Can you get me a really cheap but newish Audi A3 saloon TDI ?

Edited by Avant on 07/10/2015 at 23:48