fiat punto 1.2 acive 2005 - brake light coming on - teddy999

HI great site.... i have a fiat punto and had the clutch replaced and the car dropped off today. As soon as i drove it off the brake warning light came on and goes off and on intermittently when driving but in particular when I am accelerating or stopping. The clutch and brakes feel fine and work ok and I have checked the brake fluid which is right up to the top of the reservoir but its a bit dark so i cant see at what level its at and I definately cant seet this filter which apparently stops it filling up. So any help would be much appreciated, and btw prior to the clutch being replaced I have no problem with the warning light, thanks in advance

fiat punto 1.2 acive 2005 - brake light coming on - Halmerend
I had this on my wife's Punto. If I recall its the filter interfering with the fluid level somehow. I'm sure I've posted and solved on here before if you have a quick search under Halmer my previous username.

P.S. I changed my UN because I couldn't reset my password for some reason.

Edited by RobertT on 26/09/2015 at 09:08

fiat punto 1.2 acive 2005 - brake light coming on - elekie&a/c doctor

Sounds like the hydraulic fluid is low in the reservoir.Or perhaps the float system is not operating correctly.Does this car have brake pad wear indicators?Possible problem with the wiring where the driveshafts have been disturbed during clutch renewal?

If you unscrew the filler top it often looks like it's full but the fluid hasn't actually run through the filter into the reservoir below upon top up.

Take out the filter, top it up, replace the filter and it should hopefully be ok.

Edited by RobertT on 26/09/2015 at 09:18

fiat punto 1.2 acive 2005 - brake light coming on - teddy999

THANKS so much guys, took me a while to prise the filter out but my eyes are bad lol cleaned it, topped it up and away we go.... much appreciated it was driving me nuts especially being a brake light, thought I wouldnt stop but great job and really appreciate it

Good inexpensive outcome well done :)
fiat punto 1.2 acive 2005 - brake light coming on - Wolfan

HI great site.... i have a fiat punto and had the clutch replaced and the car dropped off today. As soon as i drove it off the brake warning light came on and goes off and on intermittently when driving but in particular when I am accelerating or stopping. The clutch and brakes feel fine and work ok and I have checked the brake fluid which is right up to the top of the reservoir but its a bit dark so i cant see at what level its at and I definately cant seet this filter which apparently stops it filling up. So any help would be much appreciated, and btw prior to the clutch being replaced I have no problem with the warning light, thanks in advance

As brake pads wear the fluid level drops, so if it's been replenished because of this rather than a leak which should have been properly investigated, fluid needs to be removed from the system before new pads are fitted. Something to bear in mind if you replace them yourself otherwise when the caliper pistons are pushed back in brake fluid will be ejected from the master cylinder all over the bulkhead.