Tricky speed traps. - Dai Watchalowski
A55 North Wales (eastbound) Road works just before Penmaenmawr Tunnel. This section of road has had a 50 mph speed limit since it was opened some years ago. Last week there were roadworks on it and quite rightly speed limit had been reduced to 40 mph on the single carrigeway that was open. The road then splits with two eastern lanes going around a headland in a series of tight bends and a tunnel with a 30 mph (bit slow) limit on it. Police regularly monitor speeds here and there is a huge Camera sign to advertise their (sparodic) presence. They have a fixed point with buried cables, so if you see a car parked on the side it is usually Plod revenue collecting....sorry preventing fatalities. What they did last week was well out of order. There was no sign of a car so traffic maintained their 40ish speed around the headland only to encounter an Officer in shirtsleeves(no canary jacket) manning a tripod mounted laser/video unit copping cars coming out of the tunnel into bright sunlight. A bit rude really. I was lucky as I was "trapped" in the inside lane behind an Artic, but I.m sure they caught a lot that day, quite outragiously.
Re: Tricky speed traps. - Mark
Road safety eh

bet there have been thousands of speed related deaths at this notorious blackspot....not

as ever

Mark
Re: Tricky speed traps. - steve paterson
Dai, I suppose you were lucky to be 'trapped' behind a responsible professional driver. He probably saved you a few quid, and a few points.
Re: Tricky speed traps. - Dai Watchalowski
He probably did - I ameternally grateful to this knight of the road....... (so far so good a clean licence for the last ten years)
Re: Tricky speed traps. - steve paterson
You should be grateful, thank your lucky stars that you weren't trapped behind a nutter doing 70mph.