Citroen C4 Picasso - Citroen cam belt - leegaffney

Hi,

The cam belt on my 08 c4 Picasso has just gone at 61000 miles. The book recomends it is changed at 100000 miles. I am trying to get Citroen to take responsiblity as their is no mechanical reason for it to go.

Citroen are digging their heels in as i bought the car private and not from a dealer.

I feel this is unfair as the car has been looked after and the belt was no where near needing changing.

Has anyone had a similar issue and if so how did you deal with it?

Citroen C4 Picasso - Citroen cam belt - RobJP

Citroen have a 3 year warranty. SOGA stops all liability at 6 yrs old, no matter what.

Your car is 7 years old. Sorry to be blunt, but your chances of getting Citroen to accept liability are zero.

Citroen C4 Picasso - Citroen cam belt - Railroad.

Manufacturer service and maintenance intervals are maximum limit guidelines. Common sense should've been applied, and your cambelt should've been changed a long time ago. How can Citroen be expected to take any responsibility for the condition of a seven year old car? The manufacturer has no idea what the car has been used for in that time, where it's been used, in what climate, or anything. No-one knows what stresses the cambelt has been subjected to in that time.

It is your responsibility to know the condition of your car and what is required to maintain it, and if you don't know about cars then this does not absolve you. The advice would be to get clued up. Anyone who chooses to operate a complicated piece of machinery without knowing anything about it does so at their own risk.

Manufacturers warranties cover mechanical and electrical manufacturing defects. The failure of a cambelt after seven years service can hardly be described as such.

Citroen C4 Picasso - Citroen cam belt - Peter.N.

Depending on what engine you have, I assume its a diesel, some are designed for the rockers to break in the event of failure instead of damaging the valves which makes a much cheaper repair as the head doesn't have to come off. I know this is the case with the 8 valve 2.0. but I suspect yours is a 16 valve in which case I don't know.

Citroen C4 Picasso - Citroen cam belt - Railroad.

Depending on what engine you have, I assume its a diesel, some are designed for the rockers to break in the event of failure instead of damaging the valves which makes a much cheaper repair as the head doesn't have to come off. I know this is the case with the 8 valve 2.0. but I suspect yours is a 16 valve in which case I don't know.

This was certainly the case with 8 valve GM diesel engines too. Genuine rockers would break on impact, but those who suffered a cambelt failure after having fitted a non-genuine replacement camshaft and rockers were never so lucky, as non-genuine rockers wouldn't break.