Ford Focus Estate - Older Ford Focus 2.0 tdci - tallrob
I'm in the market for a second car for myself as I hand over my current one to my wife for daily driving. Budget around 3000.- I found a good candidate in a 06 Ford Focus 2.0 tdci with 167,000 mi on the clock. I'm assured all motorway miles. Otherwise the car is in good condition, with all service done regularly at a Ford garage. My only concern is when I test drove it there was a good bit of white smoke during the first few minutes of driving and the motor was ever so slightly rough. Then it cleared up and was smooth as silk, good power, straight as an arrow. The seller said he'll guarantee the drive train for a year, but I'd still rather not break down on the motorway eight hours from home.

Any thoughts on the smoke? Is it just normal for an older engine to smoke a bit on a cold start?

Muchos gracias.

Ford Focus Estate - Older Ford Focus 2.0 tdci - skidpan

Getting a warranty on the drive train is one thing, getting a warranty on the turbo and emissions kit is another. At this age and mileage the engine will probably still be fine, its the bits that are bolted to it that will more than likely give issues and they will not be covered.

You have already spotted that there is a potential issue so I would suggest you just walk away. These cars are plentiful and you will soon find another hopefully with no smoke.

But if it was me I would look for a 2 litre (or even 1.8) petrol. Much less likely to be a money pit.

Problem is my budget is pretty low and we're really looking for a fuel efficient car. I guess I'm actually wondering if the smoke at startup is actually a potential problem or just something normal for older diesels.

Ford Focus Estate - Older Ford Focus 2.0 tdci - S40 Man

You might be disappointed by mpg. I had s40 2.0d which I believe is the same engine and chassis and mpg was OK (around 44 mpg mixed) buy not super efficient. My new mondo estate has better mpg. 1.6 tdci is better for mpg butvlscks low down power.

After doing some reading I see it's important to note if the smoke is white or blue. I may have to go back and look again because I think it was more blueish.

For 2000.- it seems like a good deal if the smoke isn't a problem.

Ford Focus Estate - Older Ford Focus 2.0 tdci - skidpan

Buying a car with 160,000 plus miles on it will always be a lottery. If it goes wrong its probably going to cost as much to fix it as it cost to buy. The only way to keep such cars on the road is to DIY.

But just remember, most cars of this age/mileage are sold because they have a fault that is too expensive to fix.

Gone are the days when old cars could be run by a bloke with a socket set, timing light and a bit of good luck. You still need the good luck, you also need access to diagnosis kit, code readers and have a local garage that knows what they are doing.

Ford Focus Estate - Older Ford Focus 2.0 tdci - Fernando P

Blue smoke and a strong "diesel" smell are signs of burning oil due to engine wear. Is the recorded mileage to be trusted? Be careful here!

Ford Focus Estate - Older Ford Focus 2.0 tdci - Trilogy

You should can find lower mileage than 157,000 for your money. I wouldn't spend over £2,000 for a car with over 100,000 miles in that sector.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20150624460...p

Ford Focus Estate - Older Ford Focus 2.0 tdci - dafskipman

I personally think 3 thou is a bit steep for the car you describe, at that money it really should have less than 100k, a FSH and certainly no smoke or slight roughness. Have you considered a mk.2 Focus 1.8 tdci?. This model has the bulletproof SOHC 8v engine, (maybe old fashioned), but reliable as hell, no DPF to go wrong and simplicity itself to service and maintain. I've had two of these cars (still run one now) and have covered well over 100k in seven years with no major issues whatsoever. Plus, the icing on the cake is, for your budget of £3k, if you scan the internet, you should be able to pick one of these up on a 58/09/59 plate with sensible mileage for well within your budget. Hopefully food for thought for you. Good luck.