Mitsubishi Outlander - VAG 2.0 engined outlander losing power - Eddy56

last week, halfway through France on our way to Charente and the wife's Outlander lost power on an incline, it lost speed and would have come to a complete halt had I not turned off and on again, at which point it recovered. In in my attempts I also placed in neutral and blipped the throttle which caused the revs to rise, so the engine was running just wouldn't deliver power. This happened two further times within an hour or so of the first incident, each time on an incline when applying a bit more throttle to maintain speed, each time before coming to a halt I restarted the engine and it carried on. On the third time the engine fault light appeared and remained on. We stopped for lunch, I filled up and we decided to see if we could make it to our destination which we did. And for the rest of the holiday, and the entire drive home it didn't recur. And the fault light cleared.

it's due a service in a month or two, so I can ask them to check the fault code. It seemed to me possibly fuel starvation, I wonder if I had a blockage which cleared. Also the car is used by my wife as a local runabout, I should the think the 1000 miles of peage may have done it some good and given it a good clear out.

The engine is the 2.0 VAG diesel, the car is on an 09 plate. Any thoughts on what this might have been?

(Buying diesel in rural France for 1.04 Euro (about 80p) was like going back to the 90s!)

Mitsubishi Outlander - VAG 2.0 engined outlander losing power - Big John

Probably the variable vanes on the turbo sticking. Will put engine into limp-home mode (still running but low power to protect engine/turbo etc).

If not too bad they can clear eventually with a good blast - i.e. long continental run!

Variable vanes are prone to sticking especially if car is driven toooo gently on its day to day life

had a hunt on some VAG forums and seems fairly common, symptoms described by others match exactly. Some interesting DIY fixes, including Mr Muscle oven cleaner! Should think I will just leave it and try to give it a good blast every month and see how I go. Thanks for the reply

Mitsubishi Outlander - VAG 2.0 engined outlander losing power - TheUrbis

What was the fault code/s?

If it included P2563 then it's likely to be the same (common!) issue I had with my Lancer using the same engine (BWC/BKD).

It's the EGR cooler, Mitsubishi have a service bulletin for the issue.

I had a hissing noise under the bonnet when I stopped the engine.

Fortunately, mine was covered under warranty.

Sorry - just realised you've not had the codes checked yet.

whent the fault occured with your car, did it go into limp mode and was it under hard acceleration?

thing that made me think the turbo vane theory was a match was it occuring when the turbo was on full boost which would be the case trying to maintain 80mph up a steepish incline on the peage in france. Each time it happened I was giving it some gas to keep pace up hill with 5 people in the car and a boot full of luggage. And it clearing after a further good thrashing to Cognac and back also seemed to tally with what I've since read about sitcking vanes.

Mitsubishi Outlander - VAG 2.0 engined outlander losing power - elekie&a/c doctor

This will probably do the job;www.spdiagnostics.com/index.php/products/workshop/...r

Mitsubishi Outlander - VAG 2.0 engined outlander losing power - focussed

This will probably do the job;www.spdiagnostics.com/index.php/products/workshop/...r

Interesting-Not cheap is it? Have you used it and proved that it works?

Yes, This normally plunges you into limp home mode when "giving it some gas".

On mine limp home was quite difficult as I couldn't keep at lorry speed up hills slowing to unde 50mph uphil on the A34 - not good! Pull over turn off & on back to full power again

Mitsubishi Outlander - VAG 2.0 engined outlander losing power - elekie&a/c doctor

Yes,this product does work,provided the turbo vanes are not completely seized and caked full of crud.Certainly cheaper than a new turbo.

Yep, when foot down on a motorway slip road was the first time, then various other times after.

I'll scan and upload a copy of the service bulletin.

I'll scan and upload a copy of the service bulletin.

that would be very much appreciated, the issue you describe sounds more worrisome than the turbo vanes so I'd be keen to rule that out. thanks

I'll sort it when I get home tonight.

Mine was covered under warranty, but it's an issue that had the main dealer stumped, until someone found the "Service Newsletter" detailing the issue.

What engine code does yours have? Mine's BWC, but this also affects the BKD engine.

It did solve my issue however, this was 18 months ago and I've not had an issue since.

Fortunately, it was under an extended warranty but the cost on the invoice was around £730 if I remember correctly.

The issue was very intermittent, the first time it happened I was leaving an airport, joining the motorway and has I put my foot down on the sliproad, there was no power whatsoever, no management lights just no power. I limped it around 10 miles and turned the engine off/on at some traffic lights. No further issues for the journey home.

It happened a few times randomly over the next couple of weeks, I had the RAC out to work who for whatever reason could read every fault code other than the ECU, yet my cheap bluetooth one could scan those codes. They referred me to the dealer after checking all of the turbo pipes.

Do you have RAC/AA cover? Might be worth getting them out (no boost intermittently!) to read the fault codes, won't cost you anything?

Have you noticed any strange noises when you stop the engine? Mine was a slight hiss which faded away when the engine was stopped and I got out of the car. Didn't know it was an issue until I noticed it wasn't there anymore when the EGR Cooler was replaced!

Another "forgot to add"...

At no point did my engine management light come on, but there were two fault codes stored.

One was "Turbo Underboost" and I believe the other was to do with the boost solenoid valve.

I was in the workshop while the diagnostics was done, the MUT software/steps all pointed to "Replace the Turbocharger and Intercooler assembly", but both myself and the Mitsubishi Technician didn't see how this would resolve the issue, as 95% of the time, the vehicle was running perfectly.

The link below SHOULD show the issue...

i62.tinypic.com/2vhu8mv.jpg

I downloaded a copy. I'll have to see if the fault recurs and take it from there. Service is in Oct so will find out what errors are logged. thanks for posting that pic.

No problem, what engine does your Outlander have?

Engine code is BSY

This could be of interest:

http://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/outlander-2-0-turbo-diesel-engine-loss-power-33015/

This could be of interest:

http://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/outlander-2-0-turbo-diesel-engine-loss-power-33015/

Yes, eventually refers to the carbonning up of the variable vanes where engine has been driven too gently

Yeah, my failure occured at around 26k miles, just after I bought it.

Previously it was a Motability car, and had hardly done anything for the first 3 years of it's life.