Mazda CX-5 - Help with company car choice! Mazda Vs Nissan! - mancs80

Hi All,

I have just joined the forum and hope that I can gather your opinions/sense check regarding my next car.

I am fortunate to get a company car, the budget is based on the P11D value of the car and there is no 'wriggle room' It's a strict cut-off.

Has to be five door, diesel and need space for equipment. I like a higher driving position and have narrowed the choice to a Nissan Quashqai 1.5 DCI TECKNA trim level, or the Mazda CX-5 2.2D SE-NAV.

The Nissan allows me to get a top of the range Tekna trim (Leather, loads of gadgets etc) within budget, wheras the Mazda has a larger engine and not quite so many toys, not leather.

I do a lot of motorway driving (approx 800 miles per week min.) I think the Mazda comes up trumps here due to the extra engine power.

I need to make my choice by Tuesday evening!

Any advice/opinions will be gratefully recieved!

Mazda CX-5 - Help with company car choice! Mazda Vs Nissan! - Engineer Andy

One question to ask yourself is: do you need all the gadgets? Most people rarely use more than a third of them. Did you consider the Qashqai 1.6 dCi 130 n-tec 2WD (or n-tec plus)?

From HJ's review, its actually slightly cheaper (not sure about P11D value) than the 1.5 dCi 110 Tekna 2WD and you'd benefit from the extra performance (given you indicated you do a lot of mileage) with very little trade-off in real-world mpg (see www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/nissan/qashqai-2014 to compare the two engines' mpg).

Normally-speaking, for makes like Nissan, the better performance models also tend to do better come trade-in time than the 'luxury' ones. Depending upon your test drive and general views on ride comfort and who will be paying for tyre replacements, I would try and go for 16-17in rims (note that HJ;s review of the CX-5 says that the diesel version doesn't ride as well on 17in rims as the petrol version) if you can rather than 18in or above, even if they come as standard. The price of 18in tyres is hugely more than 17in versions.

The CX-5 is a fine car, although its probably nearing model replacement time (been around since 2012). Have you read the HJ reviews of both yet? I would advise doing so, as well as waiting for some more backroomers to give their views (especially owners of either model).

Best of luck.

Mazda CX-5 - Help with company car choice! Mazda Vs Nissan! - mancs80

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply.

I have looked at the 1.6 dCI 130 Ntec and Ntec plus. They are quite a bit more in company car tax due to the emissions though which puts me off a little. I will have another think though and do the sums again.

The Mazda CX-5 range had a facelift ealrier this year which has made an improvement to the interior trim (not as much firm/cheap plastic!) The front grille changed etc.

I competly agree about the number of toys, the reality is I only really need nav, climate control and rear parking sensors. Both cars offer these basics.

Hmmm, decisions decisions!!

Mazda CX-5 - Help with company car choice! Mazda Vs Nissan! - 72 dudes

I would probably go for the Qashqai over the CX5, purely for the better ride comfort and noise suppression you get. Yes, you will sacrifice some performace with the 1.5, but it's also more refined.

Both are great cars, so test drive and make your choice!

Another thought: Could you choose an Ascenta Premium and add extras of your choice up to the P11D limit? That way you could ride on smaller wheels.

Edited by 72 dudes on 31/08/2015 at 16:15

Mazda CX-5 - Help with company car choice! Mazda Vs Nissan! - skidpan
Another thought: Could you choose an Ascenta Premium and add extras of your choice up to the P11D limit? That way you could ride on smaller wheels.

The Nissan price list has pretty muc zero extra's, sometime if you only want one extra item you have to buy the next model up. When we bought the Note we wanted the sliding rear seat and climate but to get them meant buying the Acenta Premium for another £900. After some negotations we got the difference down to £300.

Mazda CX-5 - Help with company car choice! Mazda Vs Nissan! - concrete

Hi All,

I have just joined the forum and hope that I can gather your opinions/sense check regarding my next car.

I am fortunate to get a company car, the budget is based on the P11D value of the car and there is no 'wriggle room' It's a strict cut-off.

Has to be five door, diesel and need space for equipment. I like a higher driving position and have narrowed the choice to a Nissan Quashqai 1.5 DCI TECKNA trim level, or the Mazda CX-5 2.2D SE-NAV.

The Nissan allows me to get a top of the range Tekna trim (Leather, loads of gadgets etc) within budget, wheras the Mazda has a larger engine and not quite so many toys, not leather.

I do a lot of motorway driving (approx 800 miles per week min.) I think the Mazda comes up trumps here due to the extra engine power.

I need to make my choice by Tuesday evening!

Any advice/opinions will be gratefully recieved!

Buy something decent with diesel power, a Skoda Superb or similar to eat up those motorway miles at about 50mpg. Then claim your mileage from the company via the HMRC mileage allowance scheme. At your mileage you will be able to claim about £11500 per annum. I did this for years and made money at it. The purchase cost, insurance,tax, service and fuel did not cost me anything like the mileage I claimed. The really big PLUS is this. No BIK tax to pay so your full PA of £10600 is applied to your salary and that makes a huge difference to your tax bill. Your company should be keen as they save too. Also you get to choose exactly what you want to drive, within reason, and can chop and change at will. Just buy decently and look after it well. You won't regret it.

Best of luck Concrete

Mazda CX-5 - Help with company car choice! Mazda Vs Nissan! - Happy Blue!

Nissan for me I think. Having sat in both cars and driven the 1.6Dci Nissan, I prefer the interior of the Nissan which has a very much of a premium feel. Friends who drive the 1.5DCi about 80 miles per day, say they do not miss the extra performance of the 1.6.

Mazda CX-5 - Help with company car choice! Mazda Vs Nissan! - Avant

Nissan for me too, if only because the Mazda has no spare wheel even as an option and I believe nowhere to put one.

Mazda CX-5 - Help with company car choice! Mazda Vs Nissan! - xtrailman

I actually have a CX-5 it has one of the best diesel engines in the world according to what car, and can only agree with them on that score.

I'm also a Nissan fan having had four.

Buy the CX-5 its performance is brilliant, and the 2015 updates have made the car quieter on the motorway now, along with an improved satnav. You also get LIVE traffic at a cost of £99 for three years, map updates are free for 3 years.

The only down side is the oil rise on the early cars, my 2013 car comes under the Vins affected, but having recently had a ECU remap at the last service i'm hoping thats now resolved. Its not been a problem for me anyway as i have a oil change every 12 months at 7K miles.

Mazda CX-5 - Help with company car choice! Mazda Vs Nissan! - daveyK_UK

Nissan Qashqai