Ford Focus C-MAX 1.6 TDCi auto, 2006 - Yet another CVT gearbox failure question! - Tarnish

My wife and I are the "lucky" owners of a 2006 Focus C-MAX 1.6 TDCi automatic which suffered a gearbox failure last Thursday with only a little over 51000 miles on the clock. We purchased the car back in October last year for a little under £5000. We've both been reading with disbelief the experiences of other people and the lack of customer care from Ford.

Clearly the refurbished gearbox option is a non starter given the prices that are being spoken of, but it is a crying shame to have to euthanise a car that should have many more miles left in it.

In conversation with my father in law over the matter he wondered if it would be possible to fit the transmission AND engine from a non CVT C-MAX? I would imagine even if technically possible such an undertaking couldn't be taken lightly, I have visions of there being all sorts of issues with the engine management system that without the diagnostic kit could prove insurmountable. Does anyone here have any idea if such a retrofit is technically possible or simply A Bridge Too Far?