Honda Jazz 2009 - Driving an automatic in the snow - sjtodd

Hi there

I live in Yorkshire and have a 30 min commute to work. We get a fair amount of snow.

I have been used to driving a skoda fabia manual and have been pretty pleased with how I can handle it especially with winter tyres on. However it is becoming old and unreliable in other ways and we gave been offered a 2009 Honda Jazz automatic by a family member. I am nervous as I don't know how I would handle this in the snow on our hills. I would appreciate any advice as to whether this would be a wise move & whether I can change up & down gears or use the engine to brake at all in an automatic? The gear lever has A/M, +, -, N, R. No winter settings or 2nd gear. Can I use the + setting to go up a gear?

All advice appreciated!

Honda Jazz 2009 - Driving an automatic in the snow - Manatee

You can use the +/- to go up and down 'gears' manually including driving in 2nd if you like. No reason it should be any worse in the snow because of being automatic, but I don't know what Jazzes are like anyway.

Winter tyres again and there's a good chance it will be comparable with the Fabia.

Honda Jazz 2009 - Driving an automatic in the snow - gordonbennet

In M (manual) setting you should be able to change every gear yourself within reason via the +/- lever, so the only difference will be how smoothly you can engage power compared to a manual, with practice it should be every bit as smooth...which is more than can be said for automated manuals and some dual clutch set ups.

Winter setting usually by passes first gear entirely, you can parctice in M to see if you have that option, whether it helps i'm none too convinced to be honest.

Obviously unless you fit winter tyres the car isn't going to be a patch on your Fabia.

I suspect in practice the car will be perfectly fine left in auto provided its on the correct tyres, hopefully you are able to disable traction control or ASR whatever its called on your car, doing so can hep get the vehicle moving when in dodgy conditions but remember if you don't turn it back on again then you are in complete control and the TC or it's equivalents won't be doing their part to overall skid control.

As with all these things, the best policy is to learn your car intimately regarding this before the bad weather arrives, then you'll know exactly how much engine braking control you have etc.

Honda Jazz 2009 - Driving an automatic in the snow - craig-pd130

In late January this year we had a blizzard locally and I had a Fiesta petrol auto as a courtesy car while my Volvo was having a warranty job done.

The Fiesta was very easy to drive on the snow in auto because the low-speed creep in 'drive' was perfect for setting off in very slippery conditions without needing any throttle input at all.

I was able to get up hills at walking pace and navigate between dozens of abandoned cars (including some fat-tyred 4x4s) without difficulty, simply by leaving the box in D and focusing on the steering. That was without winter tyres too, so with winter tyres I think you'll be fine.

Honda Jazz 2009 - Driving an automatic in the snow - Fernando P

It is like driving any car in the snow - don't go fast, be gentle on the accelerator and when coming to a hill, get speed up carefully ahead of it. Also, brake slowly and gently. I have had no problems by driving thus in snow and I recall there was plenty of it.

Honda Jazz 2009 - Driving an automatic in the snow - DirtyDieselDogg

Engage "B"

Then

Engage "D"

ps

B = Brain

"D" =Drive

Honda Jazz 2009 - Driving an automatic in the snow - madf

I have a Jazz auto I have driven happily in snow.

In thick snow, diengage traction control so teh engine can spin the wheels if needed.

Otherwise, I drove in auto D.

I managed OK in six inches of unploughed snow up a long hil - second car up.. Bit of a struggle.. Rest of time it had no issues at all.

I would fit winter tyres though in Yorkshire.

Honda Jazz 2009 - Driving an automatic in the snow - slkfanboy

One myth is that Auto are harder to drive in snow. The confusion is that often high powered cars with wide wheel often have an auto box.

Having driven both auto/manual in yorkshire snow. The auto is easier.

Honda Jazz 2009 - Driving an automatic in the snow - gordonbennet

Automated manuals (probably the usual suspect twin clutch boxes too) are more difficult, the well known on/off swich clutch engagement during tight manoevers makes itself known when trying to get a smooth start in slippery conditions.