Which recovery organisation - scot22

I have just received an astronomical quote from RAC for renewal. Last year I negotiated it down but am somewhat fed up of this (e.g. personal cover quoted instead of car cover)

The AA give a much better price.

However, Green Flag are even better.

Not sure of Green Flag merits, e.g fleet and mechanics ( as averages etc I know it depends on individuals)

I would welcome hearing the collective wisdom on the quality and service provided by breakdown organisations.

Which recovery organisation - gordonbennet

Autoaid, its a pay out and claim back the costs service, never had to use them, yet, but feedback is good.

Which recovery organisation - RT

My Vauxhalls were covered by AA while under warranty, they kept me waiting 4 hours by the side of the road for a half-mile tow to the dealer, who was shut by the time we got there.

My Hyundai was covered by RAC as part of it's warranty - they couldn't attend for 4 hours and even then it would only be a patrol who can't tow 4x4s with any wheels on the ground so I would then have had to wait another x hours for a flatbed.

Fortunately, I still had my Green Flag cover and they agreed to send a contractor's flatbed directly and were there in 30 mins.

On two other occasions, Green Flag's contractors have recovered my vehicle home on a directly arranged flatbed, in one case 400 miles without being relayed.

Now, I simply ignore any breakdown cover provided as part of warranty deals and keep my Green Flag subscription going.

Which recovery organisation - Engineer Andy

Like motor insurance, you only really know how good a service is, and therefore value-for-money, by actually having to use it, rather than pay the annual premium and go many years not actually using their service.

All I can say from a personal perspective is that my limited experience with the RAC (I've been with them since 1998 over two cars with a per car Roadside/At Home policy [I currently pay £75 with NCD applied], using them 4 times on my previous car [96N Nissan Micra] for a broken water pump belt replacement, jump start, starting issues [not battery] and locking myself out [!] - all around 10-12 years ago) was quite reasonable - they all turned up quite promptly (mostly within an hour) and carried out competant work in a timely manner.

Whether this is helpful is another matter, given all the above use was over 10 years ago (I've fortunately not needed them on my Mazda [fingers crossed] yet in the 9.5 years I've owned it).

If you either have an older car (e.g. a 'classic') or your car is essential as part of your job, then go with whatever firm gives the level of service you require, price would come second. Most people, like with car insurance, go with a perceived minimum standard of service first, then lowest cost and cross their fingers. Like everyone, reviewers can have good and/or bad experiences - you could try one of those 'review' websites to see if they gave a better overall picture across hundreds or thousands of reviewers.

Which recovery organisation - ike2

Like gordonbennet I'm with Autoaid and I have found them excellent. The recovery was relatively quick when I was rear ended in the fast lane of the M27 and I paid for the recovery with my credit card then claimed back the money from Autoaid which paid out before the credit card bill was due. All painless and does what it says on the tin without trying to sell you add on's and financial services. And for only £41 per year.

Which recovery organisation - Doc

I'm with Autoaid.

Cover applies to you and your legal spouse or civil partner as shown in the schedule and includes home breakdowns.

tinyurl.com/q8mpbwx

Thanks everyone the replies are all very helpful. Although when I have needed them I've found RAC O.K. (one occasion excellent) I, as said, have lost patience. Interesting the delays others have experienced, and also positive comments about other providers. Appreciate links.

A further option I have found, being insured with SAGA, is their breakdown/recovery service. Has anyone used them ?

Thanks again.

Which recovery organisation - Vitesse6

I use an independent insurance broker who offer full uk and european breakdown cover including home assistance from DAS for about £40 per year.

I may pay slightly more for the insurance than the comparison sites, but when you look at the whole package it is a good deal.

tinyurl.com/pl5waz2

Which recovery organisation - iFocus

I use Rescuemycar.com, can't fault them and I've been with them for over 10 years!

They do a really cheap car based policy or a slightly more expensive personal policy.

They use local agents too, so your never a million miles away from someone to recover you too. I can't highly recommend them enough!

Which recovery organisation - Bromptonaut

Been with Britannia for many years and probably half a dozen call outs across both cars. Generally they've been excellent, on site well under an hour and car rapidly uplifted.

Last time though it took well over 90mins to a location close to centre of Northampton.

At one time they had three or four contractors in this neck of the woods including Freeways at Weedon and Westbridge in the town. Now it's always CMG. Apparently only really big outfits can make money at the rates offered andd I suspect that's showing in the poorer performance.

Which recovery organisation - skidpan

We have Aviva Rescue.

Used them a couple of times over the past 10 years. The number goes strait through to the RAC and they have attended within 30 minutes both times. One was a Tuesday evening rush hour, one was a Friday evening rush hour.

Costs £57 a years for Rescue, recovery, at home and onwards travel. Covers me and the wife for whatever car we are driving or a passenger in.

Not found better value and its worked when needed.

Which recovery organisation - dan86

I have cover with rescuemycar.com and had to use them in May. Was told told hour and forty five minutes wait as it was Monday rush hour plus I live in London. They turned up in forty five got me going in less than 5 minutes (flat battery ) paperwork was signed and we were on our way to Dorset made good time and oly 20 minutes late. So they get a big thumbs up from me.

Which recovery organisation - Andrew-T

A further option I have found, being insured with SAGA, is their breakdown/recovery service. Has anyone used them ?

I have been similarly insured for a few years. I believe they call out the nearest of a system of affiliated recovery garages. So far my very limited experience has been good.

About 15 years ago the clutch cable failed on my 205 Dturbo. When the RAC appeared about an hour later (heavy traffic) he raised the car (on the verge) and crimped a new end on the cable which lasted until the car was sold on a year or two later - so no complaint there either. But one hears a lot about RAC's inertia-selling of ratchet-type cover to people who can't be bothered to switch.

Edited by Andrew-T on 16/08/2015 at 19:42

Which recovery organisation - Manatee

It was the AA who got up ,y nose with "tuning" the premiums upwards. I got them to reduce it for a couple of years and then they refused, so I switched to RAC, who actually used to give a discount for a claims free year - not sure if they still do. Then that went up a lot. Now with Green Flag, through the Caravan Club. It's about £120 I think but that is personal cover for two of us plus caravan recovery.

It was the AA who got up ,y nose with "tuning" the premiums upwards. I got them to reduce it for a couple of years and then they refused, so I switched to RAC, who actually used to give a discount for a claims free year - not sure if they still do. Then that went up a lot. Now with Green Flag, through the Caravan Club. It's about £120 I think but that is personal cover for two of us plus caravan recovery.

Mayday/Green Flag from the Caravan Club will operate double journey cover, back to site if you're on a day out and then collect caravan, same day or another day for the trip home - they also cover accident recovery, not always conveniently dealt with by insurers and assistance if the only driver is ill.

Thanks to everyone. The response is invaluable. I will now be able to make a better informed choice. There a number of good organisations.

Which recovery organisation - thecloser

Just to put in my tuppenceworth, I took over an AA membership (when it was a “membership” and not an insurance policy) from my dear old dad when he stopped driving and I became his transport provider. The connection went back over 50 years but they started to increase the premium, as it became, every year. I started to query the increases and got a reduction on the original quote until, like you, I got p***ed off with them and started to look around. I've been with Green Flag for about 5 years now and have found them to give good service – I have had to call them out once for my car and once for my wife's- with what I consider to be a fair price.

Which recovery organisation - jc2

Britannia Rescue-by far the best.

Which recovery organisation - Manatee

www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/driver-power/88194/...r

Which recovery organisation - leef

I've been with all 3, I swap every year. 4 phone calls (RAC,AA,Green Flag and then back to whoever is cheapest for what I need), 30 minutes of my life in total, and save a fortune. I know it P**ses people off that they whack the premium up, a lot of house insurance and pet insurance etc do the same. It's just taking a small time out of your life to save cash.

I've always found AA and RAC to be pretty good, only had to wait 3 hours once and I was in the sticks.... both have got me out of trouble in my younger years and some bangers that I owned. I currently get Home Start / Roadside and Relay for £58 after a bit of a haggle with AA. Got RAC down to £61 and Greenflag didn't get near it as my car is slightly over 10 years old, but in previous years Greenflag were fine (only used them once).

Cheers

Lee

Which recovery organisation - Wackyracer

I decided to see if I can change to Autoaid this year, I read their website and all seemed well until I called to check the qualifying vehicles. On their website it says...

Private cars, car derived vans and motorcycles over 150cc. Motorised caravans will only be covered if they do not exceed 2.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight and 2500cc.

But, After calling them I was informed that my car derived van is not a car derived van but a LCV and so is not covered. Correct me if I'm wrong but, all car derived vans are LCV's if I'm not mistaken.

Which recovery organisation - Smileyman

I don't bother buying breakdown cover - Nissan provides 12 months cover FOC ... all I have to do is to have the car serviced by my local dealer

For Mrs S, the insurance broker offers breakdown cover so it is added on to the policy at renewal

Which recovery organisation - Ben 10
GEM gets the Which? Thumbs up. Reasonable.
Which recovery organisation - Plinky

I switch between RAC and AA every year. Do it online through a cashback site, (I use Quidco). You're classed as a 'new customer' so end up getting the best rates. Combined with cashback you can get some pretty good deals.

AA is currently offering between £10 and £102 cashback on Quidco whilst the RAC is currently offering between £9.50 and £112.

Which recovery organisation - Steveieb

Simple solution is to get a Nationwide Flex plus current account which at £10 a month attracts interest on the first £2500 and gives LV Brittania Rescue which came best in the Which and covers vehicles up to 8 metres long.

Also include in worldwide travel insurance and mobile phone cover.

Why choose anything else?

Simple solution is to get a Nationwide Flex plus current account which at £10 a month attracts interest on the first £2500 and gives LV Brittania Rescue which came best in the Which and covers vehicles up to 8 metres long.

Also include in worldwide travel insurance and mobile phone cover.

Why choose anything else?

At a cost of £120/year - several reasons!

Which recovery organisation - leef

RT - you may of missed the point, its a packaged Current account, Brittania Rescue is offered along with Mobile phone issurance (which for Iphones can be up to £8/9 a month on its own combided with Travel issurance etc, they usally work out a half decent deal. I have a similar deal with Halifax Rewards, if you use a lot of the cover, they work out pretty cheap than buying seperatly.

Cheers

Lee

RT - you may of missed the point, its a packaged Current account, Brittania Rescue is offered along with Mobile phone issurance (which for Iphones can be up to £8/9 a month on its own combided with Travel issurance etc, they usally work out a half decent deal. I have a similar deal with Halifax Rewards, if you use a lot of the cover, they work out pretty cheap than buying seperatly.

Cheers

Lee

You miss my point - it's £120/year for things I wouldn't pay for!

Which recovery organisation - Wackyracer

I remember someone having one of these bank accounts which for a fixed fee every month offered pet insurance, breakdown cover etc. They were delighted with it until their gearbox failed on the motorway and they found out that it was road side assistance only and they were stuck with sorting out and paying for the recovery of their car.

I don't need recovery for an 8 meter long vehicle, I just need recovery that will cover my Combo van (which is no bigger than a Berlingo).

Which recovery organisation - daveyK_UK

Been with Britannia rescue for years, always had good service and quotes well cheaper than the big two.

Recently had 2 cars covered for UK wide breakdown for £55 quid.

Which recovery organisation - Steveieb
With interest on the current account the actual cost of the cover works out at £72 a year.

Got to know several recovery firms when I owned a Renault Espace and the reason why Brittania score so well is that the firms get paid instantly so given the choice they go to the Brittania jobs first.

Which recovery organisation - galileo
With interest on the current account the actual cost of the cover works out at £72 a year. Got to know several recovery firms when I owned a Renault Espace and the reason why Brittania score so well is that the firms get paid instantly so given the choice they go to the Brittania jobs first.

I've heard this too from one of their agents; when I (or wife ) have called them waiting time has never been more than 30 minutes and service good.

I believe Britannia is now owned by LV=.

(They used to be based in an office above the entrance to Huddersfield Railway Station. Incidentally, is anyone else irritated by the media insistance on using the American term "train" station?)

Which recovery organisation - S40 Man

A Nationwide account gets my vote too. I have included breakdown cover. Only used it once to change a wheel after a pothole incident. The alloys I had a 17 mm nut and I only had a 19 mm spanner in the car. Anyway they came out quite quickly. Not sure how good the guy who came would have been at roadside repair. I used to be in AA and they were pretty good at fixing my old Volvo S40.

I guess it depends on how likely you are to breakdown. I now have a 08 Mondeo that seems pretty releiable so this works for me.

For the £10 fee for Nationwide you also get mobile insurance and Travel Insurance each of whic could easily cost £120 pa so you can think of it as free breakdown cover.

Which recovery organisation - FoxyJukebox

If you live near a good garage and only do a small mileage--then the cheapest breakdown cover will do fine. What you are insuring for and paying for is primarily the tow.

Yes, live near a good garage - but frequent holidays in this country. Don't expect a breakdown but......

Thanks for all of the added information which is useful to know.