Suzuki Jimny - out of control spin - Hazen

Can anyone tell me why my Jimny span out of control as I took a bend.

(Edit: you mean Suzuki, surely.)

Edited by Avant on 12/08/2015 at 23:43

Jimuki Jimny - out of control spin - Simon
I would think a Clairvoyant may be able to tell you.
Jimuki Jimny - out of control spin - daveyjp

The laws of physics - you were going too fast for the adhesion provided by the tyres.

Jimuki Jimny - out of control spin - Engineer Andy

Some more details might be nice (we're not mind readers!)...don't you mean Suzuki Jimny?

Speed, weather, time of day, road conditions and type of bend (e.g. tight, off camber, etc)/other road details, actions (if any) of other road users at/before the incident, age and condition of your car (and whether it has in the last year suffered from any issues, fixed or otherwise, especially relating to tyres), your driving style, details on if you had any passengers in the care with you (who they were and if they were doing anything that could've distracted you, etc beforehand.

Don't forget the Jimny is a high-sided, high centre-of-gravity car, which, as a result, doesn't handle well on sharp medium to high speed turns and/or if it catches a large gust of wind when suddenly reaching an unsheltered area. That plus any/some of the contributing factors I mentioned above could've helped cause the problem.

Jimuki Jimny - out of control spin - skidpan

Probably because you are not a driving god and are in one of the worst handling cars currently on sale..

Edited by skidpan on 11/08/2015 at 14:27

Jimuki Jimny - out of control spin - FP

Edited by FP on 11/08/2015 at 14:29

Jimuki Jimny - out of control spin - Engineer Andy

Probably because you are not a driving god and are in one of the worst handling cars currently on sale..

;-) Rather the proverbial 'elephant in the room'!

Jimuki Jimny - out of control spin - slkfanboy

Check your tyre pressures and check for recalls as I believe there is issues with power streering and 4 wheel drive too

Jimuki Jimny - out of control spin - Leif

Possible causes:

1) A loose nut. Commonly known as the driver.In other words, excess speed for the road condtions.

2) Poor tyres or tyres with no tread. It happens, I had two skids on damp roundabouts due to poor tyres.

3) Oil or other slippy substances on the road surface.

4) You were caught in the downdraught from a flying saucer hovering overhead.

Since not all of us are omniscient, just the forum moderators, how's about you give us more details?

Jimuki Jimny - out of control spin - gordonbennet

SWB part time 4x4 i suspect, most of these types of vehicle whilst in normal dry road drive (RWD) are fine but notoriously tail happy should a damp patch catch you out.

Most of them can be driven in 4WD when conditions are slippery, but you can't take your mind off things as suddenly encountering a dry section with tight turns, eg entering a covered car park, without knocking 4WD out could see transmission wind up and possible damage as they do not have a centre diff, once 4WD is selected the drive between fron and rear axles is locked.

Stiff suspension short wheelbase and RWD combined with at least part offroad tyres isn't a great combination for wet roads.

I had exactly this problem with my old 70 series Landcruiser, that was very skittish in the wet, if i locked it into 4WD it improved no end but you had to remenber at all times it was in 4WD in order not to cause damage when the road dried out or you needed to make tight turns, fortunately the 4WD selector was electric so on the move shifts could be performed.

Tyre choice is very important on vehicles of this type.

Read your handbook very carefully, there will be extensive instruction when to and most importantly when not to engage 4WD and at what speeds, pay special attention to the don'ts, such as don't engage with spinning wheels or when on a turn. Low range is a massive can of worms, don't whatever you do try to engage that on the move, for road use you want High Range 4WD only, in Low range the transmission will most likely be fully locked....most Japanese vehicles of this type will have a sticker on the sun visors and/or drivers door giving off road instructions too.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/08/2015 at 15:58

Jimuki Jimny - out of control spin - focussed

I had a Suzuki Jimny 1300 van for a short while and agreed they are not the most sure-footed vehicle on the road, but I didn't have any particular problem with the handling, as long as you didn't do anything daft like stamping on the brakes in a wet corner or trying to drive it like a sports car.

It had the original very wide steel wheels and tyres though, difficult to get it to break traction even in the wet.

They got a bad reputation because bright young things were buying them, hooning around on wet roads - big slide in a corner - hit kerb - over they go etc

Jimuki Jimny - out of control spin - Sofa Spud

I've seen several of these little 4x4's with raised suspension and much bigger tyres. What that does for on-road stability I dread to think.

Jimuki Jimny - out of control spin - Manatee

Cars like this are innately dangerous in today's terms. Generally, with decent tyres at the right pressure, it's possible to drive most modern cars normally without special attention to road conditions and not feel a skid from one year to the next.

Contrast with 1960s-70s cars that many of us started with - it was second nature to tip-toe in the wet, and it was an unusual driver who had not accidentally explored the limits on occasion.

I wouldn't have let the average driver loose in my S3 Land Rover without a strong health warning - braking hard in a straight line, with no load in the back, would easily have the back wheels locking and the back overtaking the front. Braking in corners was an absolute no-no.

If this SJ is pre-ABS era (about 2004 or before) then its behaviour is probably "normal".