Hyundai Matrix - Lambda reading for MOT - Boyscout

I used to have a Peugeot diesel which failed a couple of MOT smoke tests.

Using fuel additives (Forte Diesel Treatment and BG CF5) and some long hot motorway miles allowed the car to easily pass on re-testing.

I now have a Hyundai Matrix which came close to failing the MOT Lamda emissions test. For next years MOT I am wondering whether to use the BG CF5 before the test.

Does anyone have any views on whether this additive does much good or would I be wasting money?

Hyundai Matrix - Lambda reading for MOT - Andrew-T

I thought the lambda emissions test was only for petrol engines? (correct fuel/air ratio) So is the Hyundai a petrol?

But most of these treatments are intended to get engines through the MoT, so using the correct one shouldn't hurt, or cost much.

Edited by Andrew-T on 05/08/2015 at 11:01

Hyundai Matrix - Lambda reading for MOT - Railroad.

Lambda 1 is the term we use to refer to a chemically correct air/fuel mixture of 14.7:1. This is also known as stoichiometric.

For the purposes of MOT a vehicle must obtain a lambda reading of 0.97 to 1.03 to pass. It will fail the test if the lambda reading is outside these limits.

Petrol engines emit carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrocarbons (HC). The catalyst converts these harmful elements into gasses that are not harmful, and are subject to maximum limits on the MOT test. An engine which is running correctly with a catalyst in good condition will easily pass the MOT in this respect.

Diesel engine vehicles are checked using a smokemeter which measures smoke density. It does not (currently) measure indiviual pollutants within the smoke. I dearsay one day it will, so watch this space.

Hyundai Matrix - Lambda reading for MOT - Andrew-T

The catalyst converts these harmful elements into gasses that are not harmful, ....

Correction - less harmful. Just a bit more CO2. Water vapour is fine. :-)

Hyundai Matrix - Lambda reading for MOT - jc2

Lambda 1 is the term we use to refer to a chemically correct air/fuel mixture of 14.7:1. This is also known as stoichiometric.

For the purposes of MOT a vehicle must obtain a lambda reading of 0.97 to 1.03 to pass. It will fail the test if the lambda reading is outside these limits.

Petrol engines emit carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrocarbons (HC). The catalyst converts these harmful elements into gasses that are not harmful, and are subject to maximum limits on the MOT test. An engine which is running correctly with a catalyst in good condition will easily pass the MOT in this respect.

Diesel engine vehicles are checked using a smokemeter which measures smoke density. It does not (currently) measure indiviual pollutants within the smoke. I dearsay one day it will, so watch this space.

You missed out NOX(nitrous oxides)emitted by both petrol and diesels-these(CO,HC & NOX) are reduced by a three-way catalyst. CO and HC were removed by a two way catalyst(oxidising catalyst)-used in the early days. NOX figures are not YET required for MOT.

Hyundai Matrix - Lambda reading for MOT - Railroad.

I love it when I get corrected. It proves I'm human and don't know everything. Lol.

Hyundai Matrix - Lambda reading for MOT - Boyscout

Sorry. I should have said the car is a Matrix 1.6 GSI petrol.