Suzuki Jimny - Suzuki Jimny 4x4 issues. - Mrbentwilly
The Jimny is my first 4x4 but when in the fields trying to turn a trailer I find the whole plot locking up! It only seems to want to go in a strait line which for a 4x4 is utterly useless.

Is this normal or is my Jimny bust?

Thanks
Suzuki Jimny - Suzuki Jimny 4x4 issues. - daveyjp
A review I read recently said when slow speed manouvering, especially when reversing you need to select 2wd.

Edited by daveyjp on 11/07/2015 at 12:30

Suzuki Jimny - Suzuki Jimny 4x4 issues. - RobJP

This may sound insulting. If it does, my apologies in advance ...

There is a lot of difference between driving a 4*4 on the roads, and on fields/poor ground. If it drives properly on tarmac, then it should drive fine on grass.

What sort of tyres does it have on ? If 'road-type' tyres, then they are brilliant for acting like greased weasels, especially on wet grass. Proper 'all-terrain' tyres are a lot better.

You may also be using too much lock / too much throttle. Try delicate steering adjustments and minimal throttle, and see if that makes any difference.

You should be able to most trailer/4*4 combinations on fields in low box just by letting out the clutch. The gearing is low enough that it will just take itself forward at 2-3 mph.

Lastly, you don't say how big the trailer is. If it's a proper big Ivor Wms trailer (mine is 12ft by 6ft, and weighs 800kg empty), or if it's heavily laden, then it may just be too big for the vehicle. The Jimny isn't very heavy or large, after all.

Hope to have been of help !

Suzuki Jimny - Suzuki Jimny 4x4 issues. - Manatee

I'm not a Jimny expert and there may be different versions, so check for yourself - but my recollection is that the 4WD system is similar to the Series Land Rovers, i.e. you have 2WD (rear), 4WD, and 4WD low ratio.

I don't think the front and rear diffs lock but there is no centre diff. You cannot use 4WD on tarmac(or on any surface with good grip) unless you want to wind up/damage the transmission and develop biceps like Popeye turning the steering wheel.

4WD is for very loose or slippery surfaces, or when you get stuck using 2WD.

You don't say what your field surface is like. If 2WD gives you enough grip, use that. If it is wet and very slippery then 4WD is fine - but you do need sideways grip to steer - if necessary use low ratio and take your time, it won't turn on a sixpence.

E&OE - never had one, although I have had a series 3 Land Rover.

Suzuki Jimny - Suzuki Jimny 4x4 issues. - gordonbennet

I too have never owned a small Suzi, but assume as MT that's its a traditional selectable 4WD which means its 2WD in normal running.

In 4WD you are locking the front and rear props, as said above no centre diff.

If the field is dry you'll probably be fine in 2WD, however i suspect you're selecting low range to make towing in the field easier bearing in mind the small engine, selecting low range usually automatically locks front and rear drive so if the fields are dry and the tyres good then you might well be having the same problems as you would trying to drive the thing on road like this, ie transmission winding up.

If you need low range to get the trailer moving off road then all you can do is try to make your turns as gentle/wide as possible.

edit, you can usually drive these vehicles on wet slippery roads in 4WD, and i used to do so regularly to make sure the front axle/bearing got some exercise/lubrication, just remember to slip it back to 2WD if the road dries out.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/07/2015 at 19:40