Is it free the - Dartford Crossing - oldroverboy.

Following other posts on here in the early days of the new system, I opened an account and loaned them £10 to get the benefit of lower price crossings...

and make sure i didn't have to worry about forgetting... surely nothing could go wrong... first two crossings deducted nicely, third one after 48hrs

3 Jul 15:42 SB

,, 4th (northbound) still not deducted @+72 hours..

I am not going to worry about this am i?

Is it free the - Dartford Crossing - Engineer Andy

Ah - the Joys of government IT systems...

Is it free the - Dartford Crossing - John F

I have a Dart gadget which beeped loudly at the old barriers but now no longer does so. However, I still get automatically charged, though curiously not the last time - four weeks ago.

Where are the cameras? Do they read front, back or both reg plates? Why does my Dart tag no longer bleep? If you follow an HGV reeeeaaally closely will they detect you? As the crossing was paid for years ago, why do we still have to pay? Why does the official blurb not answer these basic questions?

And why should we be charged anyway? It was paid for long ago. Shall we soon have to pay at the A1 Trent crossing? Or the M62 Ouse?

Is it free the - Dartford Crossing - Engineer Andy
And why should we be charged anyway? It was paid for long ago. Shall we soon have to pay at the A1 Trent crossing? Or the M62 Ouse?

I think that sort of argument fell on deaf ears the first time it was used, when Income Tax was 'temporarily' introduced to pay for the Napoleonic wars against the French. In the same vein, the River Tamar toll bridge still charges (and put it up with a 50% increase to £1.50 [cars] relatively recently) to leave (though not enter) Cornwall, which opened in 1962!!

I wonder how much money is wasted there on delays caused by the barriers, and similarly at the Dartford bridge crossing through them previously, all the rubbish vehicle reg recognition, IT systems and time/resources spent by drivers going online to pay (if it works right!) the charge now?

Is it free the - Dartford Crossing - cockle {P}

It is free if you cross after 22:00 and before 06:00 ;-) or IIRC ride a motor bike.

Is it free the - Dartford Crossing - thecloser

The same applies to the two Mersey Tunnels. The Queensway was opened in 1934 and the Kingsway in 1971. Both were supposed to be toll free once the capital cost had been recovered. Still waiting!!

Is it free the - Dartford Crossing - nick62

Even worse if you live in south Liverpool and exit the city southerly via the Runcorn Widnes bridge..............

After many years procrastination, a new one is being built to relieve the daily grind (which really is dreadful at peak times), but it is going to be a toll bridge. To make sure we all cough-up and use it, the existing bridge (which has been free to use for 54 years since opening in 1961) will also have tolls introduced!

Does this set a precident whereby a once "free" crossing has subsequently had a toll introduced? I bet it doesn't happen "darn sarf"?

Will this cause the M6 Thelwall viaduct to become more congested as drivers divert to the Knowsley Expressway / M62 /M6 route south, (which is only about two miles further than the M56 / M6 route south)?

Edited by nick62 on 12/07/2015 at 15:06

It has happened "down south"

The Dartford crossings were paid for years ago. The first Severn bridge was paid for years ago and the new bridge will be paid for next year, BUT the welsh assembly has decided to maintain tolls. If it ever gets built the southern Newport bypass will be toll... (J22-28) M4

Just put it down as extra taxation as per the change in VED in the budget, parking charges etc etc.

As an aside NB crossing still not deducted, 5 days and counting...

oldroverboy, sorry but you have not read my post correctly.

I'm not referring to historical tolls paying for said crossing over a period of time, I'm referring to a crossing that has (for 54 years) been free, but will become £2.00 a pop when the new second crossing is opened, (also at £2 a pop)!

Is it free the - Dartford Crossing - thecloser

nick62, I live on the Wirral so have little need to use the Runcorn/Widnes Bridge (probably only used it 3 or 4 times in my life) but I hadn't realised that it was going to become a toll bridge when the new one is opened. What a liberty! I imagine that the natives are distinctly unhappy.

oldroverboy, sorry but you have not read my post correctly.

I'm not referring to historical tolls paying for said crossing over a period of time, I'm referring to a crossing that has (for 54 years) been free, but will become £2.00 a pop when the new second crossing is opened, (also at £2 a pop)!

Read and understood nick. It will happen where they want it to!

Is it free the - Dartford Crossing - concrete

All governments do this. Jam tomorrow, but tomorrow never comes! If a commercial business tried these tactics they would be put out of business or be subject to legal challenge, but the government; well who takes them on? Unfortunately it is difficult to vote with your 'feet' and use alternatives because they either don't exist or are punitive. Once they have us by the balls, our hearts, minds and money will follow. Very cynical, but that is government policy and always has been. I have always thought that the extra costs in time, pollution, fuel usage and staffing cannot be viable as a business model when collecting tolls. But it is not a business model at all. It is set up and ALL the costs are simply passed to us including the so called 'profit' margin which goes to the treasury usually, because they can charge virtually what they want to. Where is the competition to keep prices low? The Dartford, or any other toll bridge or road will never be free as long as your backside looks downwards!!

Cheers Concrete

All governments do this. Jam tomorrow, but tomorrow never comes! If a commercial business tried these tactics they would be put out of business or be subject to legal challenge, but the government; well who takes them on? Unfortunately it is difficult to vote with your 'feet' and use alternatives because they either don't exist or are punitive. Once they have us by the balls, our hearts, minds and money will follow. Very cynical, but that is government policy and always has been. I have always thought that the extra costs in time, pollution, fuel usage and staffing cannot be viable as a business model when collecting tolls. But it is not a business model at all. It is set up and ALL the costs are simply passed to us including the so called 'profit' margin which goes to the treasury usually, because they can charge virtually what they want to. Where is the competition to keep prices low? The Dartford, or any other toll bridge or road will never be free as long as your backside looks downwards!!

Cheers Concrete

Damn,

Just when I thought I was the shoe-in candidate for the next president of the Victor Meldrew appreciation society, along comes Concrete!

Nice to know there is more than just me.

Cheers Concrete

Damn,

Just when I thought I was the shoe-in candidate for the next president of the Victor Meldrew appreciation society, along comes Concrete!

Nice to know there is more than just me.

Do you mind keeping me out of this. Victor aka orb.

And no the bloggers still have not charged me!

Edited by oldroverboy. on 13/07/2015 at 23:03

Hello nick62, the next AGM of the society will be arranged shortly and I will put you on the mailing list!

I am not really a Victor Meldrew but I can't help thinking that any government with any sense could reap such rewards of goodwill by making our everyday lives that bit easier. Instead they remain grasping money grubbing curmudgeons that look upon as as fair game for milking.

For starters: remove all road/bridge/tunnel tolls.

Curb the private parking sharks.

Outlaw speed cameras used purely for revenue collection.

There are many more things that would not cost much but make our everyday struggle a little easier. The main trouble is the Pelican Syndrome: which means everyway you turn there is a large bill in front of you!!!

Cheers Concrete

Concrete,

I'm sure it will have been mentioned here previously, but my latest bugbear is the non-tranferable VED..............

Sell a vehicle and you have to cancel the VED, but the new owner has to buy the VED, so unless the transaction is done at the end of the month, the new owner has to pay for a month which you have already paid for! Double taxation, nice if you can get away with it.

Edited by nick62 on 14/07/2015 at 19:06

Concrete,

I'm sure it will have been mentioned here previously, but my latest bugbear is the non-tranferable VED..............

Sell a vehicle and you have to cancel the VED, but the new owner has to buy the VED, so unless the transaction is done at the end of the month, the new owner has to pay for a month which you have already paid for! Double taxation, nice if you can get away with it.

My point exactly nick62. Wouldn't it be nice to receive the benefit of some genuine consideration that would be fair and make us feel that we really do matter to the powers that be?

Roll on the revolution.........At least the SNP are revolting!! In the nicest possible sense.

Cheers Concrete

Roll on the revolution.........At least the SNP are revolting!! In the nicest possible sense.

Cheers Concrete

Joking apart, Alex Salmond has persuaded a lot of people that the snp way is THE way, and given how central goverment treats ALL of us, I have a bit of admiration for the man and the party..

One of my scottish cousins did not see the funny side when i asked if we needed our passports to visit in future.