Jaguar XE - Full road test - alan1302

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do you still want a BMW/Merc/dull A4?

Didn't want them in the first place!

Edited by Honestjohn on 08/07/2015 at 15:19

Jaguar XE - Full road test - csgmart

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Saw my first one in the flesh today. Passed me on the M4 near the M32 (Bristol) heading towards Bath/Swindon.

Looked very nice in white and with Oxford plates on it. Wasn't hanging about either.

Looks a little 'Audi-ish' from the rear but overall I thought it was a great looking car and I really hope this ones sells well for Jaguar. Will probably test drive one later in the year.

Edited by Honestjohn on 08/07/2015 at 15:18

Jaguar XE - Full road test - Trilogy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Saw my first one in the flesh today. Passed me on the M4 near the M32 (Bristol) heading towards Bath/Swindon.

Looked very nice in white and with Oxford plates on it. Wasn't hanging about either.

Looks a little 'Audi-ish' from the rear but overall I thought it was a great looking car and I really hope this ones sells well for Jaguar. Will probably test drive one later in the year.

Darn sight better looking than an Audi fastback. The Germans just can't get the proportions right. Ditto BMW 5 series GT. The Audi sags while the BMW is too heavy handed. Overtook an XE the other week on the A1. Then let it overtake me just to see it again. Fine looking car that makes most of the competition look frumpy.

Edited by Honestjohn on 08/07/2015 at 15:18

Jaguar XE - Full road test - akr
I went to the launch event at the local dealer and thought it was a stunning looking car. Would happily have bought one apart from the only negative I could find which was the rear seat accommodation. It was very tight and I wanted more room in the back and in the boot. The same applies to the 3 series and the A4 too so it's not alone in this sense though!
I hope they sell bucket loads of them - it will be nice to see some competition for the ubiquitous Germans.
Jaguar XE - Full road test - daveyjp
I also had a good look at one a couple of weeks ago. Agree about rear legroom, obviously a car designed for the executive who doesn't expect anyone in the back.

I'm sure an estate will be along shortly. If so the rear legroom needs to match the 3 series GT, which is excellent.
Jaguar XE - Full road test - dpadmore

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Honestly? Yes. A pretty shape which will no doubt ride well but the engine range Jag are saddled with is no where near competitive. Where do I start? A brand new diesel 4 which is 10 hp off the pace, yes the torque peak is high but the low power peak figure just goes to show how narrow the power band is. No competitor at all for the German twin turbo or 3l diesel offerings. Next the Ford petrol turbo 4, much too thirsty and unrefined for an exec, better suited to a focus ST Asbo. Lastly the laughable Jag 'v6' which is of course their ancient V8 with blanking plates over the 2 rear most cylinders. Same length as the v8 and damn near same weight. In fact it has worse weight distribution than the v8 as all the missing bits are at the back preventing packaging it further towards the middle. They will of course drop the v8 in at some point. Now that I do like but how many people seriously want a small exec which returns 16mpg around town? Nice try but it may be wise to wait a few years for them to sort their engine woes. Or buy German of course in the mean time.

Edited by Honestjohn on 08/07/2015 at 15:19

Jaguar XE - Full road test - Avant

Most of the young execs for whom the XE is aimed (and perhaps retired couples too) won't often have people in the back. For those who do, Jaguar offers the XF and the XF Sportbrake.

Generally this sector of acrs is poorly packaged. At one time you'd look to BL to see how to do it properly, nowadays you look no further than Skoda.

Jaguar XE - Full road test - slkfanboy

while a skoda has an ok interior its nothing compared to a merc or jag xe.

Further in class of car your really whant rear wheel drive or at least 4 wheel drive hence IMHO VW and clones have limited class options.

If i am look for a class car I want 200hp and Skoda vRS is only 180, cant say i'm getting out of bed for anything less

Looks well skoda is behind Volvo say no more. So option for me would put the XE 4th, Merc 1st and BMW 2nd, Audi 4x4 3rd. Skoda not on the list

Jaguar XE - Full road test - Avant

Just for the record, my Octavia vRS has 217 bhp. But obviously if you want RWD, as many people do in this sector, it won't satisfy you.

while a skoda has an ok interior its nothing compared to a merc or jag xe.

Further in class of car your really whant rear wheel drive or at least 4 wheel drive hence IMHO VW and clones have limited class options.

If i am look for a class car I want 200hp and Skoda vRS is only 180, cant say i'm getting out of bed for anything less

Looks well skoda is behind Volvo say no more. So option for me would put the XE 4th, Merc 1st and BMW 2nd, Audi 4x4 3rd. Skoda not on the list

I wasn't implying a Skoda should be on the list. I was only using the marque as an example of superb packaging.