Double yellow lines outside property? - P3t3r

I saw this article www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/couple-face-1000-fin...6

I don't quite understand this. Surely double yellow lines don't apply to private property? I've seen a lot of properties in the area where I live that have double yellow lines across their driveways with dropped kerbs. If the article is true then there will be hundreds or thousands of people breaking the law in my town.

Double yellow lines outside property? - gordonbennet

Unless my eyes are deceiving me there isn't a dropped kerb outside the house in the pic.

I'm unsure what the law is on that, but suspect there could be some repercussions.

Double yellow lines outside property? - jonthepug

Unless my eyes are deceiving me there isn't a dropped kerb outside the house in the pic.

I'm unsure what the law is on that, but suspect there could be some repercussions.

Do they have Tbar ends if not there not enfocablr or no pcn can be stuck on

Double yellow lines outside property? - FP

I don't understand it either, but I don't see why double yellows shouldn't be painted there. What has private property to do with it? Why can't you drive across the lines?

Double yellows, as I understand it , mean you can't leave your car on them, nor on the area behind them if it's council-owned; in this case, that most probably means the pavement, though there may well be bye-laws that prevent that anyway.

Double yellow lines outside property? - Doc

The problem here is not the yellow lines, but the absense of a dropped kerb. The resident should not cross the pavement without one.

Double yellow lines outside property? - Bolt

Correct me if wrong, but isnt it an offence to cross the path to a driveway unless it has a dropped kerb, I`m not so sure the lines come into it, it`s just they dont have path crossing permission

Double yellow lines outside property? - Dwight Van Driver

Need to see the Traffic Order authorising the DYL as it wull spell out in detail the length of the line in question.

Looks like a penis up by the contractors.

dvd

Double yellow lines outside property? - Hamsafar

I don't think the double yellow lines make any difference to crossing the pavement. I cross them every day. The problem is lack of an installed crossing, but the kerb is so low so it could be argued it is one.

I expect the story is that they were miffed by the double-yellow lines, so called to complain and got the usual unhelpful council berk who tells them they are in charge and will fine them £1000 if they cross the pavement.

I have had similar problems myself where nobody on the road had a drop kerb, but the kerbs were very low anyway. One day contractors came out to relay they kerbs and road. We asked their boss if they could put drop kerbs in and he said no problem and marked them out. The council got wind and told them not to and then started installing concrete bollards as 'permitted structures' in front of drives of people who complained.

It was resolved by the local councilor who did an excellent job of getting drop kerbs for everyone, despite it taking a year and meaning scrapping the kerbs that were put in a year before.

Edited by Hamsafar on 29/05/2015 at 10:54

Double yellow lines outside property? - old-school-tech

You have to pay the council if you want a dropped kerb, we are in the process of getting one outside our house but for us it is mainly to prevent people from parking outside our house.

As far as i can tell from this pic, and I don't know if i'm right or not, But it seems to me that the council are right, The house owner doesn't own the pavement or road, unless he pays for a dropped kerb, and then that just gives him legal access.

Just because he has a driveway and a garage doesn't earn him the right to drive his car across the path to get access to it.

So, it sounds like the article is misleading. The lines don't seem to have any affect on the legality.

Double yellow lines outside property? - FP

"... it sounds like the article is misleading."

It's the Daily Mirror.

Double yellow lines outside property? - TedCrilly

More red top sensationalism and council-bashing!!

Perhaps if there was a dropped kerb actually there it would be on record and the council would then have been aware of the need for vehicle access to the property when planning the yellow lines and the whole outcome may have been different.

Looks to me like the garage was built after the house and whoever built it didnt apply for a dropped kerb, maybe they did and were refused but carried on anyway, who knows?

Either way.....if the owners had behaved sensibly and actually notified the council of the situation when they first moved in instead of shrugging their shoulders, adopting the `not my problem` stance and ignoring the possible consequences this situation might not have become what it has.

Saying its been like that since 1995 doesnt wash, its like being nicked with 4 bald tyres, saying they were like that when I bought the car and expecting to be let off scot free.

Looking at the Lanchasire council website I can see a dropped kerb is going to cost them around £600. (far less than a £1k fine). I suggest they start saving now and hope that permission for one will be given.

Perhaps if there was a dropped kerb actually there it would be on record and the council would then have been aware of the need for vehicle access to the property when planning the yellow lines and the whole outcome may have been different.

Looks to me like the garage was built after the house and whoever built it didnt apply for a dropped kerb, maybe they did and were refused but carried on anyway, who knows?

I did wonder whether permission had been refused in the past. However, I still don't understand the significance of the yellow lines. I can't see a problem with crossing the lines.

Double yellow lines outside property? - SteveLee

Correct me if wrong, but isnt it an offence to cross the path to a driveway unless it has a dropped kerb, I`m not so sure the lines come into it, it`s just they dont have path crossing permission

Correct - I've parked in front of a car parked illegally in their garden before. "I'll call the police!" shouted the householder - "go on then - I'm visiting number xyz" I replied.

After about an hour there was a knock on the door. A young plod "is that your car blocking this gentleman's drive?" I walked over "What drive?" I enquired - "Where's the dropped kerb?" - "you're breaking the law!" insisted young plod - I suggested he radio someone who know what they are talking about. He trotted off out of earshot and mumbled into his radio, after about 5 minutes he came back to Mr angry householder and said "sorry sir there's nothing I can do."

It looks like the article has been updated. The bottom half of the article is now saying that they can't park OUTSIDE their home. So they obviously want to park in the road, just outside their driveway.

I'm guessing that it's a busy road, so they can park outside their driveway as people don't block it, but other places get busy.

Very bad article. I'm not convinced the author even understands what he's saying.

Double yellow lines outside property? - RicardoB

Hmmm. Well let's have a look.

Firstly, it is "kerb", not "curb" - perhaps curb the carp?

"House was built in 1995". Well I can't claim to be an expert, but to my mind, those styles of houses are more of a 1950s/60s design, and it appears to have had a recent new roof. (My thinking here that perhaps it was improved/upgraded in 1995) But whatever, that is not really relevant.

But, the garage... perhaps that was built in 1995? I'm sure planning permission records might confirm this.

Councils don't just paint yellow lines willy nilly without telling anyone. Any plans/changes like this have to go through a lot of planning and consultation/notification, including with households in the immediately affected area. Of course, it is quite possible that the householders didn't read or engage with such notices, perhaps consigning it to the recycling bin without reading it, thinking it was junk mail etc.

The exisiting kerb looks rather old and battered.

So perhaps there are known unknowns here.

Just blame the council!

Double yellow lines outside property? - Andrew-T

Firstly, it is "kerb", not "curb" - perhaps curb the carp?

Our American readers might take issue with you on this. Anyway, it doesn't advance the argument much, does it?

Double yellow lines outside property? - Avant

That house looks as if it's on a corner plot, so the double yellows are probably there because it's coming up to a road junction.

As others have said, the house owner needs to pay the council to put in a dropped kerb. I can't see why they'd refuse, unless there's something we don't know about, such as the drive and garage being put in without planning permission.