30,000 miles with an Octavia vRS estate v2 - Avant

As promised in another thread a few days ago, some thoughts on the past 30,000 miles - almost all positive thoughts. Not really a running report, as nothing's gone wrong (so far of course).

This is my third vRS estate - the first was a diesel manual, the second a petrol DSG, and this one a petrol manual. This isn't just me being fickle: I did 20,000 a year when I went for the diesel, following several other diesel cars. Mileage decreased to about 12,000 and the next one was fine except that I always felt that the DSG (although totally reliable) was holding the car's acceleration back. That certainly isn't the case with the current manual, which has the 217 bhp GTI engine and goes like a bomb.

As many of us have commented on here, the torque on this engine is superb. Although it's great to be able to use the performance from time to time (not least when joining a motorway or doing a quick overtake), the designer was well aware that the great majority of one's driving is spent pootling.

The 30,000 mark came up in the middle of the last 2 weeks' trip to Scotland: I did two lectures in Glasgow after which SWMBO and I made a holiday of it and stayed with friends near Aberdeen, then a couple of nights each in Plockton, then the Lodge by Loch Lomond, then Langdale in the Lake District, then Symonds Yat. The Skoda never missed a beat and averaged an excellent 40 mpg (the car computer is accurate and I believe the odometer is also). And of course we didn't have to travel light, for which SWMBO as you can imagine was thankful.

The miles have happened in only 18 months, more than I expected to do: moving to north Dorset meant a lot of barrelling up and down the A303, and still does, two or three times a month. Reliability excellent once again.

So it's a Golf GTI with space (and cheaper to buy and insure). It's surprising how often, even in semi-retirement, one needs that space, so I'm glad I went for another Octavia rather than being seduced by the GTI itself.

I'd give it 8.5 out of 10: half a point off for restricting the colours you can have a vRS in (mine is red but I'd rather have had the very pleasant light 'denim blue' metallic that is available on lesser Octavias). And the other point off is for the excessively hard ride, partially caused by the 225/40/18 tyres which are too low-profile for my taste (and particularly SWMBO's, although her Mini Roadster is just as unforgiving).

If I find I can't afford a new car next year, this is one I'd be happy to keep. But if I can, something a little higher off the ground and more softly sprung might beckon.

A final thought, with which some of you will disagree. The more I read of tales of woe on here from people incurring expensive repairs on middle-aged cars, most likely due to abuse or neglect by previous owners, the less I wonder (as I have each time I buy a new car) whether I should have had a used 'premium brand' for the same money as a new Skoda.

The logical choices seem to me to be (1) buy a new car if you can afford it, or (2) buy an old quality car and cherish it, like GB's Mercedes, or (3) go the bangernomics route. And don't buy a used diesel.

Edited by Avant on 24/05/2015 at 09:45

For some reason the software elected to hide this thread from general view. I'll copy over the replies.

Oli rag wrote:

Very interesting report. On your last point, even if I could afford a new car, I think I'd buy an ex demonstrator, maybe something up to 1 year old. The initial depreciation is something I'd be keen to avoid.

40mpg for quite a big petrol estate with such good performance is really good, hardly seems worth going for the extra cost of the diesel.

Edited by Avant on 24/05/2015 at 09:45

And Focussed wrote:

Nothing like a first-hand report - thanks Avant.

As regards actual purchasing I have a choice of either buying an ex-demo in the UK or buying new here in France. Buying here will obviously be a left-hooker which I'm not wild about but is probably the way to go as I'm permanently resident and if I need to sell it in two to three years time will sell better here.

If the pound/euro rate stays as it is at the moment, around 1.40 or so, I can buy a new Octavia vRS estate with a few extra bells and whistles over here through one of the mandatair auto ordering sites for about the same in sterling as a 6 month old ex demo would cost in the UK without the extras.

This includes the larcenous French government registration and pollution penalty tax, which i would still have to pay if I was importing a used UK car anyway.

Then there are the costs involved in importing- flight over, hotel, short term insurance, road tax to get it to the ferry, the ferry ticket etc etc.

Then the inteminable trudging around government offices to get it registered, if they don't recognise the UK model spec on their computers it'll be a "computer says no" and have to get it inspected by another government department etc etc.

Thanks again for the long term report Avant.

30,000 miles with an Octavia vRS estate v2 - oldroverboy.

Very informative, Diolch!

Agree with your sentiment about mileage.. Rio was purchased on the basis of less miles than before, and more localised driving, but in 5 months have done my average 5000 miles.

I am not a fan of the front end of the skoda range, but I suppose the kia is not everyones cuppa...

30,000 miles with an Octavia vRS estate v2 - slkfanboy

when OP makes reference to golf I not read the carwarrantydirect stats they show skoda's are more reliable then there VW counterpart. Interest comment about DSG as should be the other way around. My powershift feels that way, but then again, most people seam to drive in the wrong gear most of the time.

30,000 miles with an Octavia vRS estate v2 - gordonbennet

Good report that, thanks Avant.

Silly the lack of colour and and tyre/wheel choice, when what you were really after was (as many of us) your choice of engine and gearbox but in a more sedate rolling chassis for normal not trackday use.

Why is that combination so difficult to find, yes you can pick and choose if you're spending £40k+ on a Benz, but it seems at more normal budgets you'll have what we blinking well tell you you'll have and like it.

If you decide to try a sporty Golf remember to wear your padded cycling pants and put some cotton wool in each ear, had the misfortune to travel in my friends new GTD and i was shocked at how poor and loud the ride on 19" elastic bands is, unforgiving seats not helping, amazed he bought the thing.

I'm no longer sure that almost new premium brands are premium, the lists of expensive and regular problems grows constantly, whilst you can afford it and still enjoy new cars, why not buy them, i don't actually like 99% of new models nor much of anything made after the mid noughties if truth be known so it's not a decision i'll have to make.

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/05/2015 at 11:07