Ford Focus Clutches - Honest John Appears on BBC TV - Galaxy

In case anyone didn't happen to see the programme, Honest John appeared in the BBC 1 consumer rights show "Don't Get Done Get Dom" yesterday morning! Presenter Dominic Littlewood, as it happens, is actually a former used car dealer!

Still currently available for viewing on BBC iPlayer, link here:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05whfrx/dont-get-do...e

If you don't want to sit through the whole programme, HJ appears at 27:20 in.

The item is concerned with the early failure of Ford Focus clutches.

Edited by Galaxy on 22/05/2015 at 13:56

Ford Focus Clutches - Honest John Appears on BBC TV - slkfanboy

Not sure i have seen many case of early clutch expires on the ford focus. I am sure it would be all over the sites if it was.

Clutches are not covered under any warranties as far as I know, unless any one can correct me.

Ford Focus Clutches - Honest John Appears on BBC TV - Gibbo_Wirral

He mentioned 1.6 diesel. Not sure about the age of the car or the mileage but I've known a few dual mass clutches go around 30k on Peugeot 307s and 407s with the 110bhp 1.6 engine.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 22/05/2015 at 14:17

Ford Focus Clutches - Honest John Appears on BBC TV - Ben 10
You're right. Clutches are not covered by Ford warranty. Wear and tear items are excluded.

Ford don't seem to want to admit there is a design fault so blame the driver. And wriggle out of footing a bill. The older guy had done under 6k miles from new.

I think Ford should warranty a clutch that fails within 6 months from new or up to 6k miles. If there is a design problem this should show within these parameters. As the expert said on the programme, any clutch should last a lot longer than that, or even the life of the car.

Both owners featured had owned previous Fords and hadn't ruined clutches with their styles of driving. So why this particular model they both had? A straightforward denial by Ford that there is a model problem. Might just be a certain batch, but does not instill confidence for potential buyers. Forking out £600-£1000 for a clutch on a new car is no joke.

My last car was a Focus diesel. A mark 2.5. That clutch needed replacing after 18k miles. I've never needed a clutch before on any make of car I've owned in 30+ years of driving. Maybe the same fault has been carried onto the Mk3 model. Either that or they're using cheaper materials that fail too easily.
Ford Focus Clutches - Honest John Appears on BBC TV - gordonbennet

Engines have changed massively over the last few years, increasingly we have smaller capacity engines than previously but because of forced induction and variable valve timing etc they can provide enough power for adequate performance...but importantly for this subject they often lack the low engine speed torque to get the vehicle moving quickly enough for the modern motorist who increasingly zooms away from a standing (or rolling) start and stays under power right until heavy braking is called for.

This lack of low speed torque infuriates me, not because i want to race everyone but because i detest having to abuse the vehicle to get it rolling, hence i tend to avoid things like 1.6 TD's unless fitted to a really light vehicle such as the Citroen C2 VTS we owned.

Coupled with this lack of torque we now have rather high geared first and reverse gears on many cars (and 4x4's), so high in fact that many cars will stall straight out if you try and pull away just on tickover revs, and anything resmbling a hill can call for a hefty bootful of throttle and some clutch slipping to get them going.

I speak from some experience here having driven car transporters for many years and had to perform some fairly extreme controlled manoeuvering whilst fluenty cursing the weak mixtured (emissions) low engine speed lack of torque, and trying not to abuse the cluthc whils keeping the revs low...anyone who's had to do some steep hill starts with these modern cars will know where i'm coming from...indeed some of the popular cars are actually not able to be loaded properly, something we've covered before, especially the satan gearboxed automated manuals.

I'm not criticising everyone and saying they are all at fault, but you can subconciously be slipping the clutch very regularly on some of these cars during quite normal drives, leading to some surprisingly expensive cars having very short clutch lifes.

Of course in all this, weights of cars have increased almost twice for the same class of car with the same cc engine...and with much higher first gear ratios than those earlier cars.

I assure you lorries have gone exactly the same way (except for the gearing), years ago my artics had 14 litre engines, with an 8 speed gearbox geared to 1100 rpm @ 70 mph it was quite possible to start off fully loaded at 38t in 4th gear, the engines having such massive tickover torque that they could literally cope with less that 400rpm and pull away smoothly.

8 gears was more than plenty so tractable were those engines and more durable to boot, you usually only used the top 5, you were in serious terrian to ever need crawler.

Now we have 11 litre engines coupled to 12 speed semi autos geared in top to 55mph @ 1300rpm, but they are so lacking in low speed torque (yes more emissions carp) that you usually need to pull away in 1st because the engine simply can't cope, even 2nd can produce severe clutch slip.

Thats why you all get held up by lorries snailing away from roundabouts, its not that we want to muck everyone about it's that just like cars, the engines are so utterly gutless at low revs that we have to go through probably 5 gears before reaching 20 mph.

Sorry its been such a long post but might be food for thought as to why modern clutches don't last.

Ford Focus Clutches - Honest John Appears on BBC TV - focussed

Not sure i have seen many case of early clutch expires on the ford focus. I am sure it would be all over the sites if it was.

Clutches are not covered under any warranties as far as I know, unless any one can correct me.

Had the whole clutch and DMF replaced under warranty on my UK bought 2.2 CDTI Civic at a Honda dealer here in France - slipping in 4th 5th and 6th. it was three years and a month from new.

Ford Focus Clutches - Honest John Appears on BBC TV - madf

Had the whole clutch and DMF replaced under warranty on my UK bought 2.2 CDTI Civic at a Honda dealer here in France - slipping in 4th 5th and 6th. it was three years and a month from new.

Honda do get customer service outside warranty.

FORD? Go take a jump.

Ford Focus Clutches - Honest John Appears on BBC TV - focussed

Honda do get customer service outside warranty.

FORD? Go take a jump.

To be fair Honda UK were asking dealers and customers to jump through hoops over this clutch problem with the Civic. They were asking for photographs of the clutch plates etc etc and then they would make a decision. Over here I went to the dealer who had last serviced it - went for a test drive with the service manager who said yes it's slipping, bring it in on whatever date. I said what about photographs for Honda France and who would make the decision on whether it was warranty and he just said "If I say it's warranty - it's warranty"

Didn't cost me anything apart from the cost of the gearbox oil which I wasn't going to argue about.

Ford Focus Clutches - Honest John Appears on BBC TV - galileo

Hyundai warranty covers clutches to 60,000 miles/24 months.

(And brake friction materials to 20,000 miles/24 months)

Ford Focus Clutches - Honest John Appears on BBC TV - skidpan

Engines have changed massively over the last few years, increasingly we have smaller capacity engines than previously but because of forced induction and variable valve timing etc they can provide enough power for adequate performance...but importantly for this subject they often lack the low engine speed torque .......

This lack of low speed torque infuriates me

You are talking about 2 totally different egine types with totally diffferent charisteristics.

I have owned and test driven several modern petrol engines with variable valve timing and have to agree the lack of torque is totally infuriating. They go well enough if you rev them hard but its not a relaxing way to drive and its not good for fuel consumption. Its what converted me into a diesel buyer.

But as the current owner of a 1.4 TSi Seat Leon I can assure you that small modern petrol turbo's do not drive like that. Its just like a diesel but with no lag below 1500 rpm whatsoever and a power band form just over tickover to 6000 rpm. I have to say the Seat engine is the best of its type I have tried but the Ford 1600 turbo petrol in the Volvo V40 was also very good as was the BMW 1600 turbo petrol in the 116i.

I have almost certainly bought my last turbo diesel, replacement for wifes car will be a turbo petrol, brand yet to be decided, it depends on the builders quotes.

Ford Focus Clutches - Honest John Appears on BBC TV - Engineer Andy

One of the downsides (unless you like thrashing your motor [Type-R drivers]) of owning a Japanese car I suppose.

For me (as a said Japanese car owner [Mazda3 mk1]) it occasionally can be a source of annoyance, as you say, having to drop a cog and boot it quite hard to overtake, sometimes frustratingly so on motorways where it makes progress not smooth at all if overtaking is the order of the day (rather than sticking behind the 60mph middle-lane brigade). My 1.6 petrol only come alive after 5,000 revs, sounding like a thrashed lawnmower in the process.

What I find is stopping me from buying the smaller to mid-sized light turbo engines is the (IMO) generally poor engineering quality of many of the cars they are mated to - too many have long lists of 'inherant faults' and recalls that keeps me from buying them, never mind the overall poorer owning/dealership experience (even factoring in Mazda UK's lower-than-average performance compared to other Far Eastern marques).

For all the great things about the performance, handling and looks of these smaller engined petrol turbos (my faves currently are the [in order] VW Golf 3dr 1.4 ACT GT and its cousins [same engine] the SEAT Leon SC and Audi A3), they just have too many issues, including (IMO):

Reliability problems they appear to have and of those generally with similar VAG cars (more European makes as well) that HJ has recorded (e.g. poor quality springs that don't last, use of cheap/poor quality components that last nexe to no time, dodgy electrics, insufficient [in my view] testing of components together and for long enough to find faults [too many options]);

Poorly-thought-out instrumentation layouts - odd indicator stalk/button configurations, and;

Poorly-thought-out engine bay layouts - batteries in difficult to get to places for jump starting/replacement, similarly for headlamp replacements (having to remove components/take an hour when it should be a quick 5-10 min job).

For the sake of a bit of occasional annoyance when driving, I'll take that but with most other things as I want them over constant trips to the dealership over faults and breakdowns any day. A shame really, as the cars I lists are really good in many other respects.

Ford Focus Clutches - Honest John Appears on BBC TV - daveyK_UK

I have heard a few stories about 1.0 eco boost petrol engine clutch failures in the Fiesta and B-Max.

Does this apply to all Ford vehicles with the 1.0 engine or is it unique to the Fiesta and B-max?