any - Manual gearbox oil change - john farrar
I am considering changing the gearbox oil in my 10 year old Mini, owned from new and with only 34,000 miles. Any thoughts?
any - Manual gearbox oil change - Vitesse6

I had it done on my 21 year old campervan and the gearchange was much easier afterwards. I can't see it doing any harm at all.

any - Manual gearbox oil change - gordonbennet

Have yet to find a gearbox that didn't benefit from fresh oil, manual or auto.

Diy the cost is so low it has to be done.

any - Manual gearbox oil change - Eddy56

I had this idea and had the oil changed in my wife's Outlander thinking it was likely to help or at least do no harm. But what bad idea it was. The Mitsubishi main dealer used an oil that I believe (and they deny) was not the right spec and the shift stiffened significantly. I argued it out with them, they drove it and agreed the gear change was very stiff but said they hadn't driven it before and how do they know it wasnt always like that! I gave up in the end, looked up the oil spec myself online, ordered fresh oil and changed it myself and hey presto the shift was lovely and smooth. I told them about this and they told me becuase I'd used non-Mitsubishi oil (I couldnt find anywhere to buy their own Diaqueen oil but I used a reputable branded oil of the same weight/spec) I'd likely have gearbox trouble later on. I thanked the service manager for his time in a way which intimated I thought he was an imbecile.

It's hard to say the shift has improved over the original oil as we suffered the consequences of the wrong oil for a few weeks so the improvement when I got the right oil in was dramatic. But I think you'll get mixed views on the mertis of changing oil in a manual transmission - some say can an oil really be sealed for life in a box and not degrade and benefit from a change? Other will say that a gearbox will go 200k on the same oil and leave well alone. I regret the hassle my decision caused, but we were unlucky.

any - Manual gearbox oil change - gordonbennet

Eddy, you used a Mitsi main dealer, dear Lord man what were you thinking.

During our brief spell of Outlander ownership we found the service dept to be completely and utterly useless, won't bore you with the details but they hadn't a clue what the problem was so simply parked it outside presumably hoping it would fix itself, my old school LPG man sussed it, the old way, and then fixed it in less than an hour.

Then there's genuine parts prices that would make a Bentley owner wince.

never again

any - Manual gearbox oil change - Manatee

I had this idea and had the oil changed in my wife's Outlander thinking it was likely to help or at least do no harm. But what bad idea it was.

I hope the Mitsubishi dealer wasn't Firs Garage at Hook Norton. They appear to know what they are doing. The nearest dealers to me don't get very good references.

Hook Norton is rather a long way to go for a service but we take a courtesy car and spend the day in the Cotswolds, or Oxford! Went to the William Blake exhibition at the Ashmolean last time. The joys of semi-retirement.

On the gearbox oil, I tend to agree it's a good idea provided the right stuff is put in. Or may just make sure there is enough in. I've certainly had a couple of gearboxes in the past, on older cars, that seemed to have very little if any oil in them!

any - Manual gearbox oil change - Andrew-T

<< I hope the Mitsubishi dealer wasn't Firs Garage at Hook Norton. They appear to know what they are doing. The nearest dealers to me don't get very good references. >>

This comment illustrates yet again that it may be pointless to issue statements that 'XXX dealers are rubbish' (or for that matter All French cars are ... ). There are good ones and bad ones, as it is mostly to do with management (i.e.individuals), the work ethic, and trading long enough to establish a trusting customer base. The badging may only indicate how much parts will cost - though the flashiness of the premises may also be suggestive.

any - Manual gearbox oil change - galileo

Have yet to find a gearbox that didn't benefit from fresh oil, manual or auto.

Diy the cost is so low it has to be done.

Gearbox oil change is listed in Hyundai 6th year/72K service, I thought the gear change was noticeably slicker after it was done on the i30.

Main dealer service was only £200, which struck me as reasonable, my trusted indy would have charged at least £150, wouldn't have changed gear oil and wouldn't have washed and valeted it either.

any - Manual gearbox oil change - bathtub tom

>> Any thoughts?

First of all, has it a drain plug?

My previous Nissan had an unobtanium, Nissan spec oil in the gearbox and many failures were recorded on Nissan forums due to low gearbox oil levels from new.

any - Manual gearbox oil change - John F
Any thoughts?

Yep. Don't bother.

Gear boxes usually work either perfectly or not at all. Any perceived improvement is probably psychological, unless someone had put the wrong stuff in it - a common problem with the TR7/Rover LT77 manual - people can't believe it needs Ribena-thin ATF to work properly.

any - Manual gearbox oil change - craig-pd130

Gear boxes usually work either perfectly or not at all. Any perceived improvement is probably psychological, unless someone had put the wrong stuff in it - a common problem with the TR7/Rover LT77 manual - people can't believe it needs Ribena-thin ATF to work properly.

Heh, quite common for mechanics to assume they knew what oil should be used in BL cars. When I got my old BGT V8, it felt like the clutch was starting to slip after the car had done 15 miles or so.

Turned out a previous owner had used EP gear oil in the box, which was a no-no as it had overdrive. It was fine when the oil was cold; but once it warmed up the bands in the OD unit couldn't grip.

any - Manual gearbox oil change - Wackyracer

I do change my gear oil and never had any problems using a good brand such as Castrol or Fuchs.

any - Manual gearbox oil change - Mike H

Only did it once, and it made absolutely no difference. I did it myself and made sure I used the right oil, but it was no better, and I perceived it as perhaps worse, after the change. That was on a 5-year old Saab 9-5 at around 100,000 miles.

any - Manual gearbox oil change - carl233

Whilst changing the oil is worthwhile, I find it makes a much more noticable improvement to lubricate the linkage or cable system fitted to a vehicle. On my current Mondeo I stripped down the gear lever mechansim lubricated every area with synthetic grease and put it back together. It really made a world of difference.

any - Manual gearbox oil change - Gibbo_Wirral

Same here. Even lifting the gearstick gaiter and giving the plastic ball base of the gearstick a quick spray of grease makes a difference in gear changes.