verso 1.8 - 0w20 or 5w30 - esper

changed oil on 0w20 from 5w30 to improve mpg d

due to less friction.should I continue with it

as heard opinions that oil is designed only for hybrids.

thanks

verso 1.8 - 0w20 or 5w30 - skidpan

Use exactly the spec Toyota specify. If anything different was required they would change the spec.

verso 1.8 - 0w20 or 5w30 - slkfanboy

Are you sure you mean 5w30 not 5w20? You have increased ware at low temp. in favour or higher temp. Personally I would stick with wht it says in the book.

verso 1.8 - 0w20 or 5w30 - gordonbennet

How much difference has this change made to fuel consumption?

Most non hybrid Toyotas if you check the handbook are happy enough, depending on envisaged temp range, with anything from 5w 30 through to 10w 40, i haven't seen a 0W 20 mentioned.

Personally i buy good quality 5w40 full synthetics in bulk packs when on offer which is fine for all the cars we own for mixed temp driving, and comes under the ranges specified in each handbook.

verso 1.8 - 0w20 or 5w30 - skidpan

Are you sure you mean 5w30 not 5w20?

OP did not mention 5w20 in his post.

verso 1.8 - 0w20 or 5w30 - focussed

Similar oil choice - different vehicle.

I have a Honda civic 2.2 CTDI. The original oil spec was a a fully synthetic 5W-30. The big H then brought out a revised oil spec of 0W-30 fully synth "in the interests of fuel economy"

So went out and bought Castrol Edge 0W-30 at vast expense and duly did the oil and filter change-ran it for a year and found that the economy didn't change and that the motor used a little oil between changes, which it didn't do before. So went back to 5W - 30 Elf synthetic which is readily available over here in France in the supermarkets at a reasonable price.

Result? If anything, slightly better fuel consumption and it doesn't use oil.

Conclusion- Don't really know!

verso 1.8 - 0w20 or 5w30 - Wackyracer

Similar oil choice - different vehicle.

I have a Honda civic 2.2 CTDI. The original oil spec was a a fully synthetic 5W-30. The big H then brought out a revised oil spec of 0W-30 fully synth "in the interests of fuel economy"

So went out and bought Castrol Edge 0W-30 at vast expense and duly did the oil and filter change-ran it for a year and found that the economy didn't change and that the motor used a little oil between changes, which it didn't do before. So went back to 5W - 30 Elf synthetic which is readily available over here in France in the supermarkets at a reasonable price.

Result? If anything, slightly better fuel consumption and it doesn't use oil.

Conclusion- Don't really know!

The only difference between a 0w30 and 5w30 viscosity range is that the 0w30 will be better for extremely cold weather and I doubt you'll find that in France. The only time it could be better for economy is if the 0w30 had an ACEA A5/B5 rating and your previous oil was ACEA A3/B3, even then I doubt it would be a huge improvement.

verso 1.8 - 0w20 or 5w30 - bathtub tom

I changed from 10W/40 to 5W/30 for a year at an oil change.

Made no measurable difference to petrol consumption (measured full tank to full tank).

Changed back to 10W/40 the next year, as it was cheaper and met manufacturer's spec.

verso 1.8 - 0w20 or 5w30 - focussed

" extremely cold weather and I doubt you'll find that in France."

Don't count on that buddy! You must have been listening to the propaganda put out by Ian Duncan -Smith trying to take away our winter fuel allowance!

The coldest place in France is the central massife and the charente- they regularly have below zero weather in winter.

We are in north west france-the first year we were here (2009) we had up to minus 10 centigrade at night together with 18 inches of snow!

verso 1.8 - 0w20 or 5w30 - Wackyracer

A 5wXX oil is good for temps as low as -35c and I doubt you'll have that often in France.

A few years ago we had -10c in London but, it does not happen that often and I'd not base my oil choice on it. Although at the time the thickest oil I was using in my toyota was a 10w40 and the other car was on 5w40. So both were well within range.

When looking at the cold viscosity of an oil it is easy for people to confuse pressure and flow. You will get instant pressure with a straight 60 weight but, you won't have any oil around the bearings. In contrast using a 0 weight oil you'll probably have to wait a second for the oil pressure but, at least you'll have a flow of oil around the bearings.