Help! Need advice on a small family car - johnw100

Hi All,

Really having problems trying to choose a car for me and my wife and 2 young kids to replace our ageing 2008 honda jazz.
Want something smallish but a 5 door automatic hatchback for under £8500k and no older than a 2011/12.
I`ve sort of narrowed it down to either a

Nissan Note 1.6 ntec 2013 , like the spec and price. dislike image a little.
Mercedes A-Class 2011 , like the brand, concerned about maintenance costs.

Any other suggestions. Really want to avoid ford, vauxhall, anything french or italian ,had our fair share of those, and want something different.

Tried convincing the wife to a VW Golf, but she thinks theyre too expensive and bland for that money.

Struggling with this one. Any ideas?

Thanks

Help! Need advice on a small family car - gordonbennet

I love it, 08 is ageing..:-)

If the car has been good to you why not have another Jazz.

Your wife gets a big thumbs up, quite apart from the fact a Golf auto will probably have the DSG of doom gearbox.

hehe well i know 2008 isnt that old but we`re trying to stick with buying 2-3 year old cars and keeping them for a couple of years before changing them.

The Jazz is ok, but not overly keen on the ride, you feel alot of the road through it. Also want a change of scenery inside, had the Jazz for 3 years and even the newer model isnt much different inside.

So hence wanting something similar in size and shape but different, and perhaps more refined that the Jazz.

Thanks

J

Edited by johnw100 on 11/05/2015 at 00:36

Help! Need advice on a small family car - daveyjp

I have nothing but praise for the original B class - I've owned one 4 years and 45,000 miles with nothing more than expected running costs - as a family car it has done everything we have needed it to.

As for the A class. My wife has owned one almost 2 years (2012 model) again with no issues. We bought this due to my B class experience.

The extra boot of the B is useful to have as is the extra length which makes for a better ride, my B also has wider tyres (205 rather than 195 on the A) which improves the ride.

Both however are petrol manuals.

One achilles heal on both these cars is the autobox and for that you may wish to avoid them.

Thanks daveyjp. What is the issue with the auto? I do see some negative reports from earlier A classes , is it something that affects more recent models? It seemed on the mpg suffered with automatic box and we`re not doing alot of miles yearly as we dont use it for commuting.

Did look at the B Class, but its just a bit too expensive for us unless we go for a 2010 model which is older than we`d like.

Edited by johnw100 on 11/05/2015 at 11:44

Help! Need advice on a small family car - Engineer Andy

It might be worth having a look at the Hyundai ix20/KIA Venga (same car), which, according to the reviews, has a more forgiving ride than the Honda and still has a decent boot size, and of course, above-average reliability and longer warranties.

To me (looking at the HJ reviews for both), the ix20 is the slightly better looking (only the interior [mainly dash] and front grille area are different to the Venga), but you get a longer warranty on the Venga.

Both not so cheap as they used to be, but I think they are at least on a par with Nissan, if not slightly ahead (IMO no 'French connection' to worry about on quality). A slightly limited range (both the ix20 and Venga - probably to save on costs - only one auto [1.6 petrol]) though. I thought about one myself but didn't take it further due to the lower performance available - this may not be a consideration for yourselves.

Best of luck.

Help! Need advice on a small family car - slkfanboy

Hyundia dont have the best auto either. I would go with the Honda myself

Help! Need advice on a small family car - primus 1

Toyota auris?

Mercedes CVT box wasn't the best and the engines aren'tbthe most powerful for autos. Moderator Avant had a B class diesel auto so will give more info if he reads this.

We swapped an i20 for our A class and the Hyundai interior is built for a price, the seats in particular were terrible.

Edited by daveyjp on 11/05/2015 at 19:49

Help! Need advice on a small family car - Avant

Given the makes you want to avoid, and the general view on this forum that you should also avoid buying a secondhand car with the VW Group DSG, it narrows the options down quite a lot! I don't think you can restrict it further by worrying about image.

If you'd been happy with a manual, I'd have suggested the Skoda Fabia: but as it is, it will need to be Japanese or Korean. The Auris suggested above is good but I'm not sure whether the auto version was a proper auto or a semi-auto (avoid like the plague).

So maybe try the Nissan Note, Mazda 3, Kia Ceed and Hyundai i30 to start with. Don't go for a diesel unless you do a very high milege.

I'd have been happier with the Mercedes B-class I had back in 2006 if it had been a petrol: the B200CDI diesel auto (CVT) was sluggish and impossibly noisy. You could look at one of these but you'll pay more for one of the same age than you would for the cars I've mentioned above.

Help! Need advice on a small family car - Big John

Nissan Note 1.6 ntec is a well sorted end of a model car with a great traditional long lived auto box & overdrive. I have a friend who has had three - very refined and real life economy excellent. Very very reliable.

Thanks for the responses.

Hyundai ix20 i had a look at before but it just looks a bit too small, and also the dash reminds me on an sanyo hifi from the 90s for some reason. I do like the ix30 and it was on my list but struggling to find one under £9k with an automatic box.

Has to be automatic as my wife likes them.

It does seem to be coming down to the Nissan Note , i think i`ll have to go along to a car supermarket and compare some of them. They tick all the boxes, come with sat nav and parking sensors and is cheap and pretty realiable. Just think the cheapness might extend to the interior aswell though.

The other option i can just afford is a Ford B-Max or C-Max. They might be a better family car in the long run. I`m concerned we might outgrown a Nissan Note quickly. Any ideas about them? Was trying to avoid going the popular route, but i`m having a hard time deciding .

Help! Need advice on a small family car - Leif

Have you driven the A class? A couple of years ago I had a loaner for a three days. It was horrible, I banged my head getting in, it felt cramped inside, performance was modest and noise was not bad, but not particularly good either. Oh, and I was comparing it to my VW Up!!!!

I reckon Mercedes are not good at small cars, look to Toyota, Honda, VW etc.

Help! Need advice on a small family car - skidpan

For £8500 you will get a Kia Ceed 1.6 petrol auto probably a 2102 on a 12 plate.

As an example here is a link to a 2012 with only 5222 miles on it for £8685. http://used.kia.co.uk/Used-Car-Details/used-kia-ceed-16-2-hatchback-phoenix-silver-automatic-petrol-ID_2880.aspx

Providing they are Kia approved vehicles from a Kia dealer you can be 100% certain they will have the remainder of the factory 7 year warranty, thats 4 years left, more than most new cars. Cars bought from non-Kia dealers need to be checked carefully regarding past services etc. Missed or incorrect servicing means no warranty.

Loads of space for people and luggage. We have had our Ceed for almost 5 years now and its been 100% reliable.

Edited by skidpan on 12/05/2015 at 11:21

For £8500 you will get a Kia Ceed 1.6 petrol auto probably a 2102 on a 12 plate.

Sorry, the Kia Ceed just isnt doing it for me. I just see Kia as an old peoples car, the only one I like is the Sportage and thats way over my budget.

I`m sort of narrowing it down to a Leon , Ford Focus or B-Max or Astra.
Something I can get if I stretch to about £9k. I`m also coming to the idea that the A-Class and Note are a bit small in the long run.

Have you driven the A class? A couple of years ago I had a loaner for a three days. It was horrible, I banged my head getting in, it felt cramped inside, performance was modest and noise was not bad, but not particularly good either. Oh, and I was comparing it to my VW Up!!!!

I reckon Mercedes are not good at small cars, look to Toyota, Honda, VW etc.

No havent was going to give one a test drive. You say you felt cramped and banged your head, but are you taller than 6ft?

I would like something a bit more refined than the Honda Jazz, I dont particularly like the noise and feeling you have of the road through the car. Its ok on smooth roads but any bumps go right through it.

My dad has a Jazz and I concur with your report - the ride is terrible on UK roads.

As regards the A class - it has a sandwich floor construction which means unlike almost every other car I have been in the floor is level with the door cill, there is no 'step in' to the footwell.

As it is unusual you may hit the door frame when getting in, but its not something that will happen every time. The space in the floor is used to house the main battery.

Both front seats also have 3-4 inches of height adjustment.

Help! Need advice on a small family car - Leif

I am about 5ft 11 inches, and 12 stone. I find my VW Up more than roomy. Same with VW Polo. Ford Fester is fine too. The A class uses a lot of quality plastics for the dash, doors and central console to create a luxury feel. It works, it does feel lovely, but they seem to take up a lot of room. But don't take my word for it, you might love the car.

Thanks all

I think i`ve narrowed it down to these. I`m going along to a car supermarket and get a feel for them.

2012/13 Nissan Note N-Tec+ - boot bigger than Golf/Focus. Comes with Sat Nav and Parking sensors.

2012 Ford Focus titanium - boot a bit small and everyone has one.

2011 VW Golf - bit pricey/ bland but well made and good image.

Edited by johnw100 on 15/05/2015 at 13:16

Help! Need advice on a small family car - Happy Blue!

Nothing wrong with a Note.