N/A - Brake disc horror story. - focussed

MOT tester wanted to check the condition of the brake disc - but couldn't find it!!

mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/horror-story-brake-di.../

Hopefully there is some set procedure for impounding a car that is found to be in this state.

N/A - Brake disc horror story. - gordonbennet

Incredible, you'd like to think that it's a one off, sadly not.

In my previous life a Reno came into me for some job, during which i found that all front pads had been worn down to the metal and they in turn had worn the unvented discs down to feeler gauge thickness, how they didn't shatter with total brake failure i've never fathomed, nor how you drive with the noise and grinding through the pedal for months on end and not twig anything wrong, it's bizarre.

Another gem was the 2CV where the pad had vanished altogether and the braking was being done by the piston itself which resembled a little boys baseball cap.

N/A - Brake disc horror story. - Wackyracer

Does not surprise me sadly. There is a website full of such photos which includes alot of dangerously fractured steel wheels.

N/A - Brake disc horror story. - Leif

A few years back I helped push a car up a snow covered hill, there being a queue of cars struggling to get up. The tyres were slicks. No tread whatsoever. I still regret not having reported the car to the police, it could have caused a serious accident.

I once saw a car driving along, with smoke pouring from the rear tyres. The axle had seized, so the wheels were frozen. I wonder if the driver had noticed?

N/A - Brake disc horror story. - Sofa Spud

The focus of this thread seems to be incompetent or ignnorant owners.

Twice in my driving history my life has been put in danger by incompetent professionals - in one case a garage mechanic who didn't put my car back together properly, the other a fitter at a tyre company who adjusted the tracking way, way off what it should have been.

N/A - Brake disc horror story. - Wackyracer

The focus of this thread seems to be incompetent or ignnorant owners.

Twice in my driving history my life has been put in danger by incompetent professionals - in one case a garage mechanic who didn't put my car back together properly, the other a fitter at a tyre company who adjusted the tracking way, way off what it should have been.

I had my tracking set at a tyre company some years ago and found about a month later that they had not bothered to tighten the locking nuts against the trackrod ends.

N/A - Brake disc horror story. - Hamsafar

Jobsworth - most of it's stll ok.

Could any tester past or current answer my question as to whether or not a tester can issue some sort of prohibition notice for a vehicle found to be in this condition?

N/A - Brake disc horror story. - RobJP

I'm not a tester, and haven't been one in the past, however this comes from a friend who is one ...

An MOT tester can issue (on your MOT failure) a 'Dangerous to drive' notification. If they do, then they will point out the dengerous points, and why they feel they are dangerous. The fail is obviously logged on the VOSA database. However, they cannot stop you from taking your car and driving it away.

Though they could phone the police as you did so.

I'm not a tester, and haven't been one in the past, however this comes from a friend who is one ...

An MOT tester can issue (on your MOT failure) a 'Dangerous to drive' notification. If they do, then they will point out the dengerous points, and why they feel they are dangerous. The fail is obviously logged on the VOSA database. However, they cannot stop you from taking your car and driving it away.

Though they could phone the police as you did so.

Thanks for that info-seems funny that the system that was set up to prevent the use of cars in a dangerous condition cannot stop a dangereous car being driven away from a test centre!!

N/A - Brake disc horror story. - Ordovices

J1 Prohibitions General 1. VOSA's Examiners and specially authorised Police Officers have the power to issue prohibition notices (PG9) to prevent use on public roads of any vehicle found to be defective. In serious cases the prohibition has immediate effect, but in less serious cases, its effective date may be delayed for up to ten days

N/A - Brake disc horror story. - RobJP

J1 Prohibitions General 1. VOSA's Examiners and specially authorised Police Officers have the power to issue prohibition notices (PG9) to prevent use on public roads of any vehicle found to be defective. In serious cases the prohibition has immediate effect, but in less serious cases, its effective date may be delayed for up to ten days

That is for VOSA's own examiners (i.e the people who conduct the roadside checks, usually along with the police). It does NOT apply to 'normal' MOT testers in garages.

N/A - Brake disc horror story. - quizman

I had a car tracked at a garage and found a pair of mole grips still attached to the rod.

I've still got them!