Good car - sombrueil
I am new here, and female too, but do need some good advice, not bothered in the least by street cred, but am looking for another car S/H, between 6-8k, now looked in the car by car breakdown over the Civic, but it says it is not a galvanised body so it has turned me off a bit, the other car is the Nissan Almera, one thing i have learnt on this site, buy Japanese so i have listened to you.Not in a rush though, like my Ford Fiesta zerec, well how it drives but quality is crap and it was a friday afternoon car too, its cost me a bomb and Fords main dealer cannot/will not fix my raining in so i just want to change my car and let one if the kids have this one as a runaround, i do about 25-30 thousand a year.
Good car - Morris Ox
Don't be put off by the Civic; unless you're thinking of running it into the next Millennium the bodywork isn't an issue.

We run a 98 1.4 as a second car and other than a glitch cause by the way we use it (low miles), it's been faultless and sweet to drive.

Can't speak for Almera, but the image is non-existent and if you're keeping it only a shortish while and counting on getting some beans back when you sell on, go for a make with a solid reputation.

Whatever you buy, put as much effort into finding the right dealer as you do the right car. Unless the warranty dictates, think about a good non-franchise garage. Our Honda is obviously well out of warranty and we have it serviced by a guy up the road. He can't solve every problem under the sun, but he's fair, honest and goes the extra mile.
Good car - bafta
The Civic is a good car and it won't rust. Even modern upmarket cars are only partially galvanised. The Honda is very reliable and it works! The Mazda 323 is also a very reliable car and you will get more for your money, although it will not hold its price so well. Personally, I just don't like the Almera - it is boring.
Good car - Godfrey H {P}
The Nissan Almera is a good buy - because its boring.
Good car - bafta
I can't fault you logic there.
Good car - bafta
Sorry, before all the backroom pedants swoop, I should have said 'your'.
Good car - DavidHM
I like 'em, maybe no one else does, but if you want a sensible, practical car that isn't boring, look at a Ford Focus Studio. It has all the must have equipment, now including ABS, a reliable 1.4 engine, is galvanised (although rust is a non issue on new cars in your price range), handles well although it isn't fast, and there are loads of dealers. Best of all, drivethedeal.com hsa them brand new for £7800 - so depreciation will be quite minimal over 3 years.

Also you should be able to get a brand new Almera for under £8000, although I'd say the Focus is the better car.

For a Civic, make sure you buy Y reg or later as this is much better - more spacious, safer and better to drive, although some people might be put off by the location of the gearshift.
Good car - DavidHM
Having said that, I've just noticed how much mileage you do and would advise you to get a diesel, which suggests a 307 or a Focus TDci. Both are likely to be over £8k but will more than pay the difference through resale value and fuel savings.

Sorry, but with three year warranties, there's no reason to buy a dull car if you enjoy driving, regardless of cred, and I do find the Civic dull. (Except the Almera is worse).
Good car - Morris Ox
Really don't think the Civic is dull to drive, especially not the latest generation, which is an eminently user-friendly design.

If driveability is among the most important criteria then the Focus demolishes the 307 (as, indeed, does a 306!). But the 307 is still a young design and the electronic glitches which I've heard of haven't 'aged' their way out yet.

And would you put a Ford/Peugeot dealer ahead of a Honda dealer? I wouldn't
Good car - bazza
Would have to agree that the new Civic is far from dull! "What Car?" raved about it and reckoned it more than a match for the Focus in terms of drive and handling, as indeed is the new Corolla. Just because a car is Jap doesn't make it dull. The Focus is a nice enough car but just because it is a best seller doesn't make it the best car out there. I still don't understand why HJ recommends it, then has a list as long as my arm full of reasons not to have one! Agreed it drives well but that's not the whole story for private buyers, especially.
Baz
Good car - mal
Rust on a Civic?.
Nothing to worry about there.
We have a white 92 civic in our family, not a spot of rust anywhere.
Honda could have introduced a 10 year rust through guarantee in the early 90's!.
Just check out the condition of 10 year old examples and some even older and compare them with other makes and judge for yourself.

As for galvanised body panels can anybody tell me if other makes are hot dipped or do they use some other process.I have always thought true galvanising is hot dipped.
Good car - No Do$h
Go for the Civic. Had a 96 VTi and it was lovely. Daft thing was, when it went in for a service and they lent me a 1.5LSi, I actually preferred it. Softer suspension and more chance of hanging on to the fillings.
Good car - DavidHM
I don't think the Civic is a dull car, althuogh personalyl it's a little bit too Austin Maestro for me in the styling department. On the other hand, it does seem to hold its value well long term, has loads of space, and is safe, well equipped and well put together. If you can get one for a good price, go for it - but definitely one of the taller, newer models.

My dull cars comment was more aimed at cars like the Avensis and Almera; I'd rather have the dealer's service manager as best man at my wedding than drive something that dull.
Good car - sombrueil
I am going now more for the civic, i am hoping to get it converted to LPG, which seeing the miles i do will be very economical. Thanks for your help, will not buy another Ford ever, the way i have been treated, not a good advert and i do travel a lot around the north and i tell people never buy a Ford, its bad publicity. Had a F reg Micra which did over 140,00 miles and became a car the kids all learnt to drive in.
Good car - mal
You may be disapointed if you are thinking of converting to lpg as I recall reading that the v-tec engine is unsuitable for conversion.
In any case why mess about with what is already an excellent economical reliable engine to start with.
You will also lose space in the car and be refused entry in most tunnels I beiieve.
Good car - Morris Ox
I'd back up Mal on this one. Even if it's technically feasible, I wouldn't bother converting a Honda VTEC motor because it's pretty much on the money economy wise anyway.

If there's any waranty left on the car you'd convert I think that would probably be invalidated, leaving you to fund another one or just take the risk.

If you do a lot of motorway miles the VTEC would be pretty good anyway.
Good car - Morris Ox
Thinking about it, you'd be doing plenty of motorway miles just to find somewhere that does LPG...
Good car - Maz
Sombrueil, going against the grain of the thread and my own beliefs a bit, but What Car's car of the year, the Seat Ibiza, can be picked up brand new for £8k.

I know it's not Japanese, but a reliability shouldn't really be an issue in such a young car (6-8k). With a new one of course you get the full 3 year warranty anyway.

Personally, I'd definitely buy Japanese if we're talking 7 years old plus, unless I wanted something specific like an Elise or a 911 (which I do!)

If you really do want Japanese though a new Hyundai Getz should be in range and a 5 year warranty is stuck on.
Good car - Maz
Sorry -it's Korean!
Good car - mal
If you want to buy a Civic, but you want more miles per £, then if I am correct about the unsuitability of LPG conversion for the VTEC how about the old shape diesel civic, a bit thin on the ground but there might be one out there somewhere.
Anyway you can get 50+ mpg out of the old 1.5 lsi and still have a sprightly engine but don't go for the economy version they are as flat as a f..t and take ages to get you up the hills.
Good car - sombrueil
Thanks again for your advice, so many cars to choose from, its impossible really but its going to be Japanese, when i got my Fiesta zetec i was going to have it changed to LPG but the garage said no because of some fault, if i had bought an ordinary Fiesta would have been great but no way do i want a old engine in a new car, the zetec is very very good its the build that is crap, and as i have said before Fords are not bothered about customer satisfaction. Had a M reg clio which i gave away to my daughter which was a lot better than my Fiesta, its still running well too and no problems either.
Good car - mal
Don't forget to let us all know what you eventually decide on.
Too many on this forum leave us all in suspense,like missing the last episode in a tv series!.