Vovo v70 - MoT Station - binkymark

Yesterday my wife and I took her V70 for its MoT. The ownner of the station told my wife where to put the car and to leave the keys in the ignition. He gave these instructions from the open passenger window the car and told her to back in an hour. On our return he said the ignition barrel had collapsed and the key would only turn to the first position. We drove home, in my car, to get the spare key but that would not work either. We compared the keys and my wifes key was loose on its pivot and when we showed this to the station owner his whole attitude changed and he said his worker had just put his arm through the open window and found the ignition barrel broken. The window was not open when we left the car and we found the seat all the way back. The bloke who was supposed to do the Mot is big and we suspect he caught his knee on the key when he got in the car causing the damage. The owner accused us "having an attitude" and told us to f***k off and to get the car out of his yard. He also demanded the test fee for his missed slot. I did not pay but the damage is going to cost us £500 with an MoT. I know its our word against his but there was no notchiness or ever any bother with the ignition key/barrel before we took it for its MoT Do you think there are any legal aveues we explore?

Vovo v70 - MoT Station - skidpan

What proof have you got that the car was working when you left it. Without it how do you prove that the garage has broken it.

There are without doubt some sharks out there but in truth there are probably just as many (if not more) owners that claim that cars were fine when taken to the garage and have simply broken when touched.

IMHO without proof you are wasting your time.

Vovo v70 - MoT Station - bathtub tom

What proof have you got that the car was working when you left it.

Is the MOT station claiming it was not driven there?

Vovo v70 - MoT Station - Palcouk

Small claims process works in many instances on balance of probabilities.

So if the window was closed when left, and the seat was all the way back, the probability is that someone got into the car.

Whether you want to pay the small fee invoved to proceed is down to you.

I would suggest a polite recorded delivery letter asking for a contribution for damaged caused, and seeing what that gets.

£500 repair seems a bit steep, presumably you went to a Volvo garage?

Vovo v70 - MoT Station - binkymark

Thanks for the replies. I know people lie and its our word against his , as I originally stated but I had the feeling that he knew what had happened and his reaction to our accusation, even though it was politely put, was extreme. We'll probably have to chalk this one down to bitter experience. A polite letter to this character would'nt acheive antything, I'm afraid. Yes, the price is steep but thats Volvo for you.

Vovo v70 - MoT Station - Andrew-T

I think I would be suspicious of an MoT test station which invited owners to leave the key in the ignition, which is inviting trouble, not of the kind you describe. In this case taking that precaution might have avoided the accident which you presume happened?

Was it the station you normally use?

Vovo v70 - MoT Station - slkfanboy

>he said his worker had just put his arm through the open window and found the ignition barrel broken

So his worker tried to start the car without get in it? There is logical reason anyone would do this!

Vovo v70 - MoT Station - skidpan

>he said his worker had just put his arm through the open window and found the ignition barrel broken

So his worker tried to start the car without get in it? There is logical reason anyone would do this!

Probably to get the engine up to temp outside the workshop before carrying out the emisions test. If this is the case its not a good idea to start any car before cheching its in neutral and the handbrake is on.