Auris Hybrid HSD - Auris HSD-older avg mileage or newer high mileage - MarcusC

I am looking to replace my 2001 Renault Clio and was looking at 3-4 year old Auris Hybrids.
My local Toyota dealer currently has a couple of Auris Hybrids that are within or near my price range:

- 2010 T-Sprit with Sat-nav, 4,500 miles above the average for the age, Silver, £8,999
(12 months warranty, the MOT & tax expired 3 months ago so I'm guessing it's been sitting on their forecourt for that time & the battery had gone flat when I had a look at it. Has 'first generation' sat-nav)
- 2012 T-Sprit with Sat-nav, 16,300 miles above the average for the age, 'Island blue' £9,999 (which is over my budget)
(2.5 years warranty, has small dent in one of the doors, updated sat-nav compared to above- Possibly "Touch & go", though not sure of advantages).

I drive around 8,000 miles a year so it would take about 2.5 years to bring the mileage down to average for the 2010 model, 8 years for the 2012 model (assuming I kept it for that long).

I really like the 'Island Blue' of the 2012 model, the 2010 is silver which is OK but wouldn't be among my first choices of colour.

I'm not in any desperate rush to buy so am tempted to see what cars get traded in this month with the new registrations (but this spec & price range in colours other than white isn't very common).

Here are my questions:

1) Out of the above two, which would be the better buy?
(Or would it be better to wait

2) £9,995 (for the 2012 model) is over my budget - How much could I realistically expect a main dealer to take off the price if I push them?

3) Would it be worth getting a 2nd years warranty for the 2010 model?
If so, would it be better to get this via Toyota or a 3rd party?

4) I wonder whether there might be any teething issues with the 2010 model that were resolved with the later models (I know the older model doesn't have a USB socket for the stereo but wonder if there were any other 'behind the scenes' improvements/tweaks).

Auris Hybrid HSD - Auris HSD-older avg mileage or newer high mileage - Auristocrat

The facelift 1st generation Auris has a USB and aux socket in the upper glove box.

Is the 2012 Auris first or second generation - first generation was produced up to October 2012 and second generation went on sale in December 2012.

Don't follow where you get your average mileage figures from - thought average annual mileage is 10-12,000 miles per annum. So a 2012 car, which depending on which month it was registered in 2012, could be between 39 and 27

Auris Hybrid HSD - Auris HSD-older avg mileage or newer high mileage - Auristocrat

months old - average mileage in which case would could be anywhere between 27,000 and 39,000.

If going for an extended warranty the Toyota one would be the best to go for.

Auris Hybrid HSD - Auris HSD-older avg mileage or newer high mileage - gordonbennet

The first one would be off my list, batteries don't take kindly to going flat and staying there, this one could have been standing 6 months, apart from that if it's not out of Toyota warranty already it will be very shortly...by the time you've put a proper Toyota extended warranty on it (aftermarket warranty you might as well use twenties to light your cigars) you'll be several hundred pounds upbudget.

The newer one would be my choice of the two, warranted for a couple of years yet depending on the actual mileage...would have been better just to state the mileage of each.

What you could get off the car depends on how overpriced it is now in the market, if it's a tad salty make an offer with the intention of meeting halfway and be prepared to walk away if you think you can do better elsewhere.

Thanks for your replies.

The mileage for the 2012 model is 42,000 and the 2010 model is 48,000.
I was working on an assumption of an average of 10,000 a year but after looking into this further as Auristocrat said this can vary so my calculations were rather out.

Working on average of 12,000 miles a year (which is an old figure and most cars seem to do less unless used for business);
The 2010 model is slightly under average and the 2012 model is a year above average.

I take gordonbennet's point on the battery being flat for an extended period, I think I'd want a new battery if I went for that one.

The 2010 model I looked at doesn't have a USB port (I checked). Although it was originally on the spec from when the model was launched, from my research, there was a period of 2-3 months at the end of 2010 when the USB port was removed for some reason (Parkers buyers guide for this model shows it as not fitted for Oct or Nov to Dec 2010). Perhaps there was some technical issue with it?

I'm now leaning towards the 2012 model, (if the dealer would be prepared to knock the price down a bit).

BTW, the 2012 model is first Gen.

Auris Hybrid HSD - Auris HSD-older avg mileage or newer high mileage - twitcherman

It will only be the 12v auxilliary battery that needs replacing. These are virtually a service item anyway, a 2010 car would be expected to need one pretty soon whether it has been sitting or not. Dealer should do this (Toyota retail is only £100 or so, fitted).

New shape Auris had a problem with flattening this battery, eventually traced to faulty design of hazard light switch, which should have been rectified by now on affected vehicles.

This battery doesn't start the engine (that's done by the HV traction battery), all it does is power up the computers and brake pump, then throws the relay to bring the HV battery online. You can do this with a few "AA" cells, if you know how!