VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - muldoon

Opening the rear passenger windows of my Golf Plus at any speed greater than 30 mph. results in a very noisy 5-10 cycles per second buffeting that prevents any conversation in the car and is actually painful at 70 mph. Rather like having your head inside a very low frequency chuch organ! Has any other Golf owner experienced this?

Muldoon.

VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - Hamsafar

Many cars do this. You have to open another window a crack.

VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - Bromptonaut

Many cars do this. You have to open another window a crack.

Most modern cars do this, air forced in cannot easily flow out. Perhaps body flex and poor sealing made it less likely in older models. Mind you, my 1978 Pug 104 did it with sunroof out.

VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - mss1tw

My mk4 and 5 Fiestas did this.

VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - Wukl

I had a car which used to make a similar drumming noise when I had the sunroof tilted. I found a way to counter it was to crack open one of the rear windows. Have you tried cracking open say one of the front windows? Long shot, but might be worth a go. Also of course, noise generated by open windows is affected by recirculation function of your heating & ventilation system.

VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - bathtub tom

Why would anyone want a window wide open at over 30MPH on any modern car with effective heating, cooling and ventilation?

VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - galileo

Why would anyone want a window wide open at over 30MPH on any modern car with effective heating, cooling and ventilation?

Seen smokers flick ash out and/or extract smoke through open windows, some may open windows if passengers are prone to carsickness.

Front windows open are usually so everyone within 50 yards can have the benefit of the driver's sound system, usually rap or similar ****. These are the people wearing baseball caps, sometimes back to front so the draught doesn't dislodge them.

VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - gordonbennet

To be able to drive with the drivers window open you usually need an older design vehicle, with real gutters for good measure.

Pleasurable too, especially when you get off the main roads, not everyone likes aircon, i don't and much prefer to open the window for cooling and fresh air.

VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - Andrew-T

To be able to drive with the drivers window open you usually need an older design vehicle, with real gutters for good measure. Pleasurable too, especially when you get off the main roads - not everyone likes aircon, i don't and much prefer to open the window for cooling and fresh air.

There was a time when we were told to drive with windows closed to reduce drag and save fuel ... ?

VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - Alby Back
My dog likes the back window open so he can stick his head out. I've tried explaining to him how the window switch works but so far he has failed to grasp it. I have to do everything for that dog...

;-)

Edited by Alby Back on 28/02/2015 at 18:13

VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - skidpan
My dog likes the back window open so he can stick his head out.

One day you made need to take the dog to the vets to get his head re-attached.

Its something I hate to see.

Ach well, so far so good.

;-)
VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - Wackyracer

I hope it wasn't you I saw on the M25 last summer, A silver Mercedes with a dog hanging half out the rear window. I can only wish I'd had a passenger in the car to take a photo and hand it over to the police. Was downright dangerous.

I feared for the dogs life as well as others who might be involved in the accident that was waiting to happen.

Yes indeed, quite agree, happens all the time doesn't it? Major cause of accidents in fact.

;-))
VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - Wackyracer

If you had seen a large bull matiff type dog with it's head and full length of both front legs dandling out of the rear window of a Mercedes car doing 50mph on the M25, I don't think you would think it was such a joke.

VW Golf Plus '09 - Aerodynamic buffeting - Wukl

I must admit, in my current car I don't drop the drivers window very often as something about the shape makes it very blustery, far more than previous cars. I love my heater in the winter, and I love my air-condtioning in the summer. But, when I can - in those few weeks of the year when you're between those seasons - I like to tilt the sunroof, or slide it if travelling slower. Nothing to do with ventilation, just to hear the birds sings etc., to feel a bit more connected to the outside world. My own pathetic attempt to be a bit more like a motorcyclist, I suppose!

Physicists will recognise the symptoms of a Helmholtz resonator - it's like blowing across the top of an open bottle. As has been said, create another opening to prevent the resonance.

Why only the back windows though? I guess the driver provides an obstruction to airflow but the passenger window does not do it either.

Maybe something to do with how standing waves are created?

I guess you don't mean what I do if I'm out walking and someone I know drives past. ;-)