Vauxhall Corsa C - water in exhaust following head gasket change - catsdad

My son has just had the head gasket changed on his 2010 1.2 petrol Corsa (60,000m). Garage (independent) has called to say that on checking after the replacement there is "water in the exhaust" and they will give further details tomorrow when they've checked further. This suggests to me that the block or head may be cracked. Am I right? If so is it reasonable to expect the garage to have identified this before changing the gasket? I assume if its the head then the gasket would have had to be replaced anyway (and redone when the head is replaced) but if its the block then it might be more economic to have a second hand engine fitted in which case the head gasket repair wasn't necessary. I'd appreciate backroomers view on the situation and what we can reasonably expect the garage to do?

Vauxhall Corsa C - water in exhaust following head gasket change - elekie&a/c doctor

More info would be of help.Why was the head gasket replaced?

Vauxhall Corsa C - water in exhaust following head gasket change - mss1tw

This suggests to me that the block or head may be cracked. Am I right?

Only if it's actually losing coolant! Just as likely to be condensation build up from cold weather and short journeys,

Thanks for feedback to date. The gasket was changed because the car lost water without warning and mayonnaise formed in the oil. I don't think there is any doubt that there has been a failure of the oil/water separation the issue is whether the garage could have been expected to diagnose any failure other than the gasket. Although we wait for more infomation I think it unlikely that a competent garage (which I believe them to be> would confuse normal cold start condensation with a more serious problem.
Vauxhall Corsa C - water in exhaust following head gasket change - elekie&a/c doctor

Water in the oil on these engines is often a result of a failed gasket/joint behind the water pump where it joins the timing chain housing.

The car has been repaired. Water in the exhaust was caused by the head gasket failure rather than "new" water as their message had suggested. Unfortunately the water had ruined the lambda sensor. It seems they have done an excellent job. To do the gasket, skim the head, replace the sensor, change the oil and coolant came to a very reasonable £540. Provided no more problems arise I will get their details and stick them in the Good Garage guide.