2005 Ford Mondeo Estate - Used Car Issue - S_Parry

Hello,

I hope you can all help and I've posted this in the right area.

I bought a 2005 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 130 Zetec Estate in October 2014 from Evans Halshaw on finance. The car cost £1843 but in order to get finance, the total needed to be over £2000. The salesman suggested adding a 12 month warranty, which I did.

On Saturday, I was coming off the motorway and down a bypass. When I reached around 60mph, the glow plug light started flashing and the car went in to limp home mode. Luckily I lived not far from where I was and managed to get home. After shutting the car off and restarting, all was fine but this occurred several times since after going past 3000rpm.

I phoned Evans Halshaw who told me to take it to a Ford branch to diagnose the problem. After 5 hours of waiting for the car to be diagnosed, they told me that there was an electrical fault in the turbo and that the faulty part couldnt be bought separately and a whole new turbo would be required.

They called back a few days later quoting £1552 for a new turbo unit or £952.63 to have the existing turbo sent off to be refurbished which will take 1- 1 and a half weeks.

My issue is that there is a warranty on the car and the fault is covered but only up to the price of £500. I have recently read that if a used car gets a fault within the first 6 months of sale, it would be within my right to ask for the cost of repair to be covered due to the Sales of Goods Act 1979 due to the car being unfit for purpose.

I have other issues with this car due to the dealer putting an MOT on the car a few days before I collected it but when the document came through, it was the previous years. Then they said they lost the original so sent a duplicate which did not contain any advisories though there was around 6 the previous year. After taking the car for a service in line with the warranty conditions one month after buying the car (and the MOT), the garage told me that the rear shock absorbers were worn out, brake pipes were corroded and brake flexi-hose was badly deteriorated and would not have passed an MOT.

Can anyone tell me what my position is legally? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sian

2005 Ford Mondeo Estate - Used Car Issue - slkfanboy

Quite a lot to consider;

1) Are you sure the car was MOT'ed you now have a cert?

2) If the car is considered safe and you have an MOT cert not much you can do about it. Its have to prove the condition of the car on the day.

3) It reasonable to expect a £1843 to have issues due to age and the fact of it's price, so it maybe hard going.

4) Worth getting quotes from someone else and try to get a good will contribution for turbo.

5) Finance company is liable under the sales of goods act so contact them too.