Renault Clio II - Stop & battery light flickering - peckythepirate

Whilst driving my clio at night the stop light and battery light flickers on and off, its sometimes that quick that if you blink you miss it. its also doing it during the day but not so noticable. I have taken off all the earth to body & body to engine cables and cleaned them thoroughly. also ther area that they bolt to as well as the battery terminals. therefore I am now confused as to what is causing the lights to flicker. can anyone throw any light on this or has someone experienced the same thing.

(ps I may of posted this in another section wrongly)

Renault Clio II - Stop & battery light flickering - Quicksilver

Maybe the alternator needs new brushes?

How many miles has the car done? Same alternator from new?

Q.

Renault Clio II - Stop & battery light flickering - Peter.N.

Connect a meter across the battery with the engine running, you should have about 14.4 volts if the alternator is OK, much less and you have a problem.

The Alternator was done about 3000 miles ago. and I have checked terminals they are tight and clean.

Renault Clio II - Stop & battery light flickering - skidpan

The Alternator was done about 3000 miles ago. and I have checked terminals they are tight and clean.

That does not mean the alternator is not at fault. Check the voltage across the batter with the engine running.

Yes I am getting 14.4 volts, and I have done drop test with all lights, wipers, heated rear window, heater blower on. The volts hardly move.

the stop light/battery does not come on whilst stationary, it sometimes flickers when trvelling & hitting a bump in road but then sometimes does not come on with a bump!.

Renault Clio II - Stop & battery light flickering - Quicksilver

So maybe a dodgy connection somewhere? I would check all the connector blocks you can see.

I had similar problems many years ago with an Avenger with a Lucas 18ACR alternator. Car had done 85k and new brushes cured the problem. The 16/18ACR was easy to fit new brushes.

Q.