Citroen Xzara 2001 1.4 petrol - Citroen Xzara 2001 1.4 petrol - knocking noise - SueA

My car is making a knocking noise and the garage aren't interested. The noise happens when I'm slowing down but not using the brake, basically freewheeling, clutch is not depressed.

The knocking is from the front or underneath, its heard for me to tell as I've only partially hearing.

The car past its annual road test, the oil is good and a bush in the front left wheel was replaced - I hoped this was the problem but it wasn't. Timing belt was changed last year and I don't recall the knocking then.

I did overload the car and drove about 250 metres before emptying it out, I think that the noise started then.

thanks

Sue

Citroen Xzara 2001 1.4 petrol - Citroen Xzara 2001 1.4 petrol - knocking noise - Peter.N.

Is the noise engine speed or road speed related?

Citroen Xzara 2001 1.4 petrol - Citroen Xzara 2001 1.4 petrol - knocking noise - SueA

road speed, it doesn't makea noise when the car is in stationery but with the engine on.

thanks

Citroen Xzara 2001 1.4 petrol - Citroen Xzara 2001 1.4 petrol - knocking noise - Peter.N.

Does it vary acoording to the direction you are steering? If so it could be a CV joint.

No, steering direction doesn't make a difference to the noise.

thanks

Sue