Audi A3 - Starter motor or flat battery - Hopki

Having taken delivery of a new Golf, I'm advertising my old A3 TDI for sale. I was due to see a potential buyer today, however, when I tried to start the A3 last night, to take it for a run and get some diesel, it wouldn't start. It tried but gradually it got weaker until I gave up.

Bearing in mind that I had a new battery fitted approx. four weeks ago, and that since then I've only run the A3 two or three times, I did wonder if it was the battery, even though it was brand new. So, I tried to jump start it this morning but it didn't work. In fact, when I turned the key in the ignition, whilst all the usual lights came on, nothing else happened, it didn't even try to start, no noise at all. Which made me wonder if it's the starter motor and not the battery.

All I know for sure is, last time I ran the car, it started fine. But it has been pretty cold and wet since. I now have the car on charge in the hope that it's the battery that needs a good long charge (and regular use) - I spoke to a garage today who suggested even brand new batteries can go completely flat in four weeks with little use. I'm hoping it's this and not the starter motor.

Any thoughts?

Audi A3 - Starter motor or flat battery - RobJP

You say you had a new battery fitted 4 weeks ago. But you don't say why. I assume it was for a reason, though.

I'd suggest you investigate the underlying cause, which could quite possibly be the alternator, or even something as simple as a loose alternator belt, meaning that the battery doesn't get charged up.

Another possibility is that something is continuing to draw power, leading to your flat battery.

Audi A3 - Starter motor or flat battery - Hopki

Thanks. Not sure re alternator, as lights - inside and out - continue to work as per usual. I've had a replacement belt before and I have experienced the effect of dimming lights etc.

The new battery was fitted because the old one, at five years old, was knackered - I've only been running the car sporadically since my new Golf arrived, and I think the winter had finished it off.

Interestingly, since my original post, I've charged the battery for a couple of hours, which I appreciate isn't anywhere near long enough, but have got the car started again.

First time I tried, nothing. I then turned the key again within a second and it started. I've taken it on a run since, turned it off and on a few times, and it seems fine.

I wonder if either the starter was jammed/stuck and/or there's a loose connection somewhere.

It's now back on charge - might as well top it up - and I'll try it again later.

Audi A3 - Starter motor or flat battery - Falkirk Bairn

Faulty earth strap from the battery to chassis - loosen, clean, tighten - costs you nothing other than time - neighbour had that as a soltion to his battery issues.

Edited by Falkirk Bairn on 15/02/2015 at 19:31