Skoda Fabia - Skoda Fabia? - ulysses

Need to replace my old 1.2 Polo soon as it is ill. Research has led me to Skoda Fabia. Any good?

I read from 07 onwards are pretty reliable... and similar to the Volkswagen Polo in terms of what I like about it i.e. group 4 insurance, 47mpg, reasonable tax, solid build for safety.

Though I am poor, I don't need a nippy city car, more a dog/camping car for a nice quiet ride on a long schlep. Don't mind if it is slow as long as it is safe and quiet.

Maybe a Fabia Estate? Are the 01-07 ones OK? Does the 1.2, 3 cylinder Fabia have the same issues with cylinder wear etc as the 2002 Polo? Is the Fabia really a Volkswagen engine?

Skoda Fabia - Skoda Fabia? - alan1302

Underneath the Fabia is the VW Polo. VW own Skoda and most cars in the group have the same underpinnings with different bodies and interiors.

I've found out that the 1.2 has a poor engine. My engine needs a rebuild worth more than it's value. So Fabia 1.2 might have the same problem?

Skoda Fabia - Skoda Fabia? - brum

The 3 cylinder HTP engines (1.2 litre petrol) are reliable simple engines, PROVIDED the oil is changed regularly. Low mileage users, who also usually indulge in short journeys, assume that 10,000 mile/1 year service intervals means either it doesnt apply to them or they can go 10,000 - 15,000 miles irrespective of time. WRONG! Low mileage/short journey users subject their engines to the worst conditions, which include non optimal temperatures and severe petrol contamination of the oil. Also not maintaining the correct level of oil is hazardous as too low a level in these engines can lead to temporary loss of oil pressure going round corners, that has all manner of nasty consequences.

THe Fabia 1.2 engine is identical to the Polo 1.2 engine. Early versions prior to about 2004 had some design weaknesses but they have undergone several revisions over the years and particularly post 2010 when they had a major redesign.

All should be reliable, but require clean good quality oil regularly changed. If you only do a few thousand miles a year, change the oil at LEAST once a year, if you only do 2-3000 miles a year that consists of lots of short runs (5 miles or less) you should change it much more often, say at least every 6-9 months. Note quick fit type places will do an oil and filter change for around £35 so cost isnt really an excuse.

This advice applies to all cars and engines regardless of marques. Ignore it if you will, you may not see a problem for 2 or 3 years, but some poor sod will suffer later on.

You may decide that you dont want the same (or rather similar) engine, but one thing in their favour is they are dead simple to work on, and dirt cheap to maintain. A DIY delight.

On the downside engines in 2007-2009 models have poor fuel economy, much worse thatn the combined figure suggests. 2010 onwards are much better and also quieter.

There is simply no engine that can survive a "no maintence" regime.

The fabia estate is an immensly practical and roomy car, but not to everyone's taste.

Edited by brum on 13/02/2015 at 13:05

Minor Correction:

On the downside, engines in 2007- early 2010 models have poor fuel economy, much worse than the combined figure suggests. Late 2010 onwards are much better and also quieter.

Thanks Brum. A very practical, measured response. I actually do like the 1.2 Polo engine, despite being the poor sod who is suffering from its previous owners' neglect. It starts very eagerly. Even though the cylinder is burning oil, it just jumps into life like it's clearing it's throat very hard. It can pull well if you know how to drive it efficiently on the road surface.

Easy DIY is a major plus for me.

Thanks for the advice on the servicing. So basically full service history when buying or no sale.

I read that the 1.4 older Fabias suffer head gasket failure?

Are Polo and Fabia parts interchangeable?

So basically full service history when buying or no sale.

I read that the 1.4 older Fabias suffer head gasket failure?

Are Polo and Fabia parts interchangeable?

Yes, yes and yes.

Skoda Fabia - Skoda Fabia? - johncyprus
I considered a second hand Skoda Fabia 1.2 and was attracted by their low prices then I did my research which showed that the car has, like your Polo a poor engine which needs a Cambell change every four years/ 40k miles or so VW claim. Have you tried a Toyota Yaris? HJ gives the Mk1 5/5 in his reviews, they cost more but are pretty bombproof with no vices.
Skoda Fabia - Skoda Fabia? - Bianconeri
I considered a second hand Skoda Fabia 1.2 and was attracted by their low prices then I did my research which showed that the car has, like your Polo a poor engine which needs a Cambell change every four years/ 40k miles or so VW claim. Have you tried a Toyota Yaris? HJ gives the Mk1 5/5 in his reviews, they cost more but are pretty bombproof with no vices.

The 1.2 three cylinder is a chain cam engine surely?

It most certainly has a "lifetime" chain. Obviously research not very well carried out......

Some early fabias with the htp engine to 2003 had tensioner problems related to neglect - low oil level operation and/or neglected oil changes that could lead to catastrophic engine failure. The tensioner was revised late 2003.

Edited by brum on 14/02/2015 at 18:42