Ford CMAX 2007 TDCi Auto CVT - Wont move when in Drive, - NobodySpecial

I've had a few issue with my Ford CMAX 1.6 TDCi, Auto CVT (72k on the clock). I was wondering if anyone in this forum can help clarify the situation for me.

The night before I drove the car fine, no problem. The next morning, I started the car, it had the battery light on display, I thought it odd, maybe due to the weather. Anyway, I drove the car down the road to see if it would clear (maybe connection issue). Anyway, it did not and the engine light then came one, after that, the power steering, transmission and abs started to shut down. Had Ford look at the car, they said it was the alternator - they wanted over £500 to fix it.

I was quoted by another local garage £160 fitted, so they put in a reconditioned one (with 12 months warrabty), which did not clear the battery light issue. However, with the battery fully charged, the car drove fine, as soon as the battery drained, the car would shut down as described above. We suspected the alternator that was put in was faulty and was replaced again under warranty. This all happend in a 7 day period. During which time the car only was driven from one local garage to home - about 1.5 miles.

Anyway, the replacement alternator when fitted cleared the battery light issue- great, but then the car would not move. It would start, lights, steering, everything was working fine. Put it in drive and it did not move. Reveing the engine, the car moved about 30cm. The engine light appears and stays. Transmission Malfunction appears on the display. After a diagnostic check at the local garage, they said it was the gearbox and specifically the soleniod. I can't seem to find anywhere I can purchase the soleniod - I've been told you have to replace the whole gearbox!! At a tune of £2k on a car worth around £3k.

Another friend of mine who has experience of cars said that the ECU might need reseting or re-programming and we can arrange that for less than £100. This all happened over the weekend, so I am just pausing for to think through my next move and would appeciate any insight from anyone who has experienced something similar or knows of this problem and what to do next.

1. The car not going in to drive, what is the most likely cause?

2. Could the ECU reporgramming make any difference to the above problem?

3. If it is going to require the soleniod replaced - whats the most cost effective way to do this? Can I get hold of the part? Anyone know where?

4. Has anyone had a reconditioned gearbox put in, do they behave themseleves after fitting or do they still cause problems?

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks

M

Ford CMAX 2007 TDCi Auto CVT - Wont move when in Drive, - Quicksilver

These CVT gerboxes have a bad history of trouble. I am sure somebody will give a more detailed explanation but be prepared for some bad news.

Q.

Ford CMAX 2007 TDCi Auto CVT - Wont move when in Drive, - gordonbennet

The maker's lack of customer care on this issue is one of the reasons i wouldn't touch one of their cars with a bargepole.

putting some terms into your favourite search engine along the lines of ''Ford C Max CVT gearbox problems'' will bring up lots of reading for you, little of it is good.

HJ makes mention of the issue in the car reviews section above too.

Ford CMAX 2007 TDCi Auto CVT - Wont move when in Drive, - gordonbennet

www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/14179-cvt-hist.../

scroll down to post 3, click on and read Pavillion's, who has posted here before, excellent PDF file, its not been updated for several years as far as i can see, but should give you an understanding of what you are dealing with...apparently BINI can have the sister to this gearbox also, so BINI (potential) owners might find it interesting.

HJ incidentally gets mentioned favourably in the article.

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/02/2015 at 12:48

Ford CMAX 2007 TDCi Auto CVT - Wont move when in Drive, - NobodySpecial

Thank you, will read. I've accepted it will be bad news, but hoping for a small miracle;) Maybe not from Fraud cars. Terrible how they have handled this issue. A recall would have been better on the alternator and gearbox issues.

Thank you to everyone who has replied.