Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - Happy Blue!

Out of the blue I was made an offer to buy my S-Max which seemed pretty good. The car is almost six years old and I have owned it for almost five years and 44,000 miles out of 55,000.

I run a growing company of Chartered Surveyors and my Commercial Director said it was about time to upgrade for 'image reasons' as much as anything else. I need to project a successful professional image - so no Range Rovers or BMW X5.

The S-Max has served us very well and apart from a £395 rear shock absorber, it has required no repairs. Everything has worked very well especially the Electric Handbrake!

So, what do I replace it with? I do no more than 10,000 miles pa of which about eight each day is on a motorway and the rest is stop start. I could easily go back to petrol as the saving between diesel and petrol for 10,000 miles is negligble in the great context of other motoring costs. Not sure I need seven seats any more, but I do want comfort for five, not comfort for four and a perch for the fifth. I have been considering the following vehicles: -

Mitusbishi Outlander PHEV

Hyundai Santa Fe

Discovery Sport

Ford Kuga

Ford S-Max (again!)

I have decided that I do not want a C-Max or similar; they are too mumsy. The Mercedes ML250 is good value to lease but I am not sure I like the interior and I find that some cars just do not work for me internally. The Volvo XC60 is too cramped in the rear - with the centre console blocking access across the rear for feet bigger than size 1.

Any other ideas? I would love to go back to a Subaru Outback, but I think the tranmission tunnel will get in the way of the centre rear passenger. I have been banned by my wife and Commercial Director from a Skoda Superb (pity...). A pair of snobs, but I have to live and work with them.

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - daveyK_UK

The Outlander PHEW is a brilliant car, I was very impressed geting into a clients vehicle.

He loves it and it comes with substancial tax savings.

I find the colour matters alot in the PHEW, his was black which looked great but I have seen other ones on the road which didnt look as good (think it was white).

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - Avant

Your commercial director is hard to please, if (s)he thinks an X5 projects too expensive an image and a Superb too cheap. Wrong about the Superb, so that's worth a look to see what the centre rear seat is like. I know there's lots of headroom and legroom, but I don't know how comfortable it is.

The Mitsubishi sounds a good possibility, as a hybrid could suit you well. What a pity that Saabs aren't available any more: they had just the professional image that I think you're after. I wonder if there are good deals available on the outgoing Volvo XC90, which one would hope has more room than the XC60.

Ultimately of course, 90 % + of your clients come to you because of your reputation for doing a good job - hence the growing practice. I'm willing to bet that you haven't lost any clients through turning up in an S-Max. So in your position I'd go for what I most enjoyed driving and what the family are comfortable in - and if that means another Ford, so be it.

Edited by Avant on 31/01/2015 at 23:50

The whole poinot of Commercial Directors is to advise on these things! Anyway the X5 is too expensive for a reasonable model. Not the 2.5 4cyl bottom scraper.

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - RT

I don't understand the Commercial Director's wish to upgrade the image from a Ford but not as high as BMW - there isn't a brand sector in between, unless you wait for Ford's Vignale sub-brand to be launched.

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - gordonbennet

Not quite sure what you're after here HB, would you like certain things like 4WD, you've suggested two (edit, nearly all on rereading), one of which is a 2.5 ton jobbie, Disco.

How's about a short list of your needs, desires and not on your nelly mate requirements for your next car.

IFA i knew many years ago found that when he changed from Rovers to Mercedes S classes, some of his customers approved and some disapproved enough to not want to deal with him, that attitude can still be found in some quarters re Japanese cars, ironically not where German cars are concerned...image seems to be more important now than nation.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/02/2015 at 13:46

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - Alby Back
Funnily enough I just walked past a Discovery Sport while out with the dog. Not consciously seen one in the flesh before but this one was on Irish plates so maybe they got them slightly earlier. Don't know.

Anyway, it looked quite nice I suppose. Smaller in real life than I'd thought it would be. Fairly inevitably destined to be a default mummy truck at first glance I'm afraid.

A man in charge needs a man's car. To heck with androgeny and metrowhatsitism !

;-)
Funnily enough I just walked past a Discovery Sport while out with the dog. Not consciously seen one in the flesh before but this one was on Irish plates so maybe they got them slightly earlier. Don't know. Anyway, it looked quite nice I suppose. Smaller in real life than I'd thought it would be. Fairly inevitably destined to be a default mummy truck at first glance I'm afraid. A man in charge needs a man's car. To heck with androgeny and metrowhatsitism ! ;-)

A "man in charge" needs to see vehicles for what they really are, not some prejudiced view of some owners.

Now is not the time to buy a Discovery Sport - for the first few months it get's the old Ford-PSA diesel and not the all-new Ingenium - that may be tried & tested but not that economical in a bulky 4wd.

Yes RT - I have been reading over the weekend and realised that I need to wait for the new engine if I get a Discovery Sport.

I don't anything too big (e.g. A real Discovery, Range Rover or Audi Q7). The BMW X5 would just about suit on reflection, but I don't really want to spend so much money and the company car tax is excrutiating.

I am narrowing my options a great deal but I was hoping if someone could come up with a left field alternative. A test drive of Mitsu PHEV is scheduled for this week. Its low CO2 rating makes it a very attractive deal as a company car and a hybrid type vehicle suits my regular journeys very well. It is however not cheap at £40,000 for the top of the range so a cheaper, efficicent Discovery may be almost as cost effective and give me a better driving car.

In some ways I would have another S-Max but don't want the length of car.

SWMBO commented that the almost only time we spend as a family of five plus luggage is on the way to the airport or whilst on holiday. Whilst on holiday I usually cope with a saloon car that is in between Mazda 3 and 6 is size, so why don't I just go for an executive saloon.....That opens another car of worms......Audi A6 anyone?

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - Smileyman

Toyota Prius

Something Lexus

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - Paul Robinson

This may sound odd, but I think you need to decide if you want the image of a successful firm of Chartered Surveyors or a successful commercial business, because I do think there is a difference. If you want to appear a successful business then you need one of the standard German 'executive' cars, otherwise something more modest would be better, such as the Prius or Lexus that Smileyman suggests.

CRV or Rav4.

A Lexus is a good alternative

Edited by daveyK_UK on 01/02/2015 at 18:44

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - Oli rag

Are you really saying that the success and turnover of the business is dependent on the car you drive? Really?

Yes in an incremental way. Most clients couldn't care less. Just occasionally one needs to look ones best, just like putting on a suit when most times a shirt, trousers and walking jacket is enough for me. Driving the Smax was fine as it is known as the best driving seven seater. However, the conversation would be different driving a four door saloon.

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - Trilogy

I'd go for the Hyundai Sante Fe. Otherwise if you want something between Ford and BMW for image, how about a Volvo XC90? The other vehicle that springs to mind is a Nissan X-Trail.

BTW, I suspect an A6 is longer than an S-Max.

Edited by Trilogy on 01/02/2015 at 22:32

Reading all of this, it looks to me as if a hybrid would suit your needs well, albeit one which doesn't scream 'look at me, I'm Green' - i.e. the Outlander PHEV or some sort of Lexus rather than the Prius which is too well-known as a hybrid.

But if none of these passes the middle-of-the-back-seat test, the XC90 could be the next place to look, although I doubt if it's much smaller than an S-Max.

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - daveyjp

Go the whole hog and get what I saw yesterday.

A Tesla R85 saloon. Slight problem is the £50k price tag.

Funny how we are all coming back to the same few cars and types. From a slightly left field is a new version of the Lexus IS300h called the Executive, which is very good value at £29,995, with low lease costs and a CO2 rating of only 103. If the kids will fit in the back for no more than an hour it looks promising.

Getting closer to a decision. Looking at Audi A6, Merc E-class or BMW 5 series - maybe estates. Preferrably with 6 cylinder diesel engine and auto. Up to three years old and 40,000 miles. Need to drive some now. However the default colours are black, white or silver (boring) and everything has a black leather interior. My old Subaru had lovely cream interior and it felt so much more luxurious. The numbers of these cars for sale with anything other than black (or maybe grey), is minute.

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - bazza

The Audi, Merc and BMW are competent cars for sure and the default business choice but they're extremely boring, clinical and conformist. I would be tempted by something just that bit different, a Lexus hybrid, a RAV4 or one of the new large Hyundai variants--long warranty too and more reliable than above in the long run. A lot of companies I've been involved with recently are choosing hybrid variants as fleet cars, I guess it helps project (rightly or wrongly) a less ostentatious and more thoughtful image. And there's nothing wrong with a big Ford either, great value for money and gets the job done in a non-flash effective manner.

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - brighteyes
Don't know if this would be considered as "left field" but how about a Mazda CX-5? It seems to get top marks in the various motoring journals.

Hmm, thinking about Bazza's post, the Lexus hybrid choice is an interesting and very refined one, doesn't your father have a RX 400/450h HB?, does it do the business for you? if not there's the standard saloon.

Another thought, we possibly have an adjustment of Diesel car taxation heading our way if the current anti Diesel propaganda bears fruit, now Toyota hyrbrids in particular hold their used values well, i wonder if their could be some merit in this to add to decision making.

I've gone fully petrol again after umpteen years running Diesels, our petrols are 6 cyl though, two inline and one V engine, and all auto, not saying i won't go Diesel again should the right unmissable bargain crop up, but petol refinement is enjoyable so hybrid makes a lot of sense to me.

Kia optima

Well, spent some time at the Audi and Mercedes dealers with SWMBO. So far we have discounted Audi. Cannot find a good driving position for either of us in the A6, A4 too small, A8 too big (huge!). Q7 too expensive and didn't warm to the Q3 or Q5.

The E-class was a different story. Very comfortable, easy to access and egress. They do an interesting diesel hybrid called the E300 Hybrid which has good reviews apart from slightly gruff 4-cylinder engines (but better than the E220 and E250). More economical and faster than a 6 pot E350cdi. However the 350 is a nicer drive the reviews say. Also found a rare petrol E350 with very low miles. I could be tempted. Anyone got any reasons why I shouldn't have a go at a thirsty petrol driven beast? For 10,000 miles a year how much more can it cost me?

Hoping to see some Lexus GSs and 5 series later this week, but a surprise was popping into the VW dealer and being attracted to a Toureg! Probably a year too old for me in my budget, but would suit us very well. All benefits of an X5 and none of the bling feel.

Based on 26 mpg for the petrol and 35mpg for the diesel hybrid (source= Spiritmonitor) and £1.04 /litre for petrol v £1.12 for diesel--then I make it about £364 more per annum in fuel in the E350. Possibly not as much as one would imagine?

Thanks Bazza. The extra fuel cost is nominal compared to depreciation and other costs. Depreciation is a concern, but if I kept the car for four years (when it would be six years old) and it was worth only a quarter of what I may pay, the loss is £4,000pa. I would think that is the worst case and still a lot cheaper than leasing.

I have a 2014 C250 estate (last of the old shape), so the same engine as the E250 - yes it is gruff under hard/hardish acceleration, but it's not an unpleasant noise and very quite when wafting and cruising, very good on fuel in all circumstances so I think there will always be good demand for them. I think the main consideration about a petrol E350 is how long you intend to keep the car as resale and residual value could be an issue.

I too like the Toureg, but not good if you do much city driving....

At the moment the petrol should cost a bit less, nearly-new, than the equivalent diesel: but I wonder if with all the adverse publicity about diesel engines this will still be true when you come to sell this car.

If Manchester city council were to take action against diesels in the city at some pont, a 'rare petrol' could be a prized possession!

I hope you'll tell us what you think of the Lexus: perhaps a slightly more understated image than a Mercedes, rather in the way that Saabs used to have. Have you discounted Volvos?

At the moment the petrol should cost a bit less, nearly-new, than the equivalent diesel: but I wonder if with all the adverse publicity about diesel engines this will still be true when you come to sell this car.

I think a few of us are watching this space with interest, we definately won't know about any plans till after the election, and then it could be a long time depending on which smaller parties are involved in making the right numbers up, Greens could be a loose cannon motorists in general could do without.

Family view is to stick with E class or Toureg. Volvo S80 was viewed, but did not excite. I shall still loom at Lexus though. The number of dealers who have not responded to messages via Autotrader is remarkable but I shall keep trying.

Missed a good value Toureg by 24 hours. Surprising that very few have electric seats but have other toys. More to follow no doubt. I am not rushing as I have a spare Astra in the fleet for a couple of months until the lease expires.

Hi HB, I have an E250 CDI Sport estate. 2011 model, had it from new, automatic ( of course ) Black with cream leather.

Now it has 120,000 trouble free and very comfortable miles on it. Highly recommended. I was ever so slightly worried about it being a 4 cylinder in a car which deserves 6 but I've never felt it to be lacking on power or delivery.

I'd have another in a heartbeat.

Thanks AB, however I feel I really need the V6 howl. I am going to treat myself as I think I will keep this car for at least four years.

So I have narrowed the choice down to a very high spec E350CDi saloon which is about £1,000 over my (self-imposed) budget, a reasonable spec estate version of the same car that is just within budget or a Touareg with a couple of extras for £1,500 over. SWMBO would like me to have the Touareg. I'm not so bothered. What does bother me is the idea of full service history. All are a similar age and the mileage is 20,000 for the saloon, 26,000 for the estate and 32,000 for the Touareg.

A 62 plate Touareg (not one I am looking at) has a VWFSH, which means it was serviced once in June 2013 and is due another service in June 2015. No-one has looked at it since June 2013. Am I stupid???? The Mercedes however have a variable service interval but which will requires a 12 month inspection and both these examples have proper history.

I'm not surprised your wife would like you to buy the Touareg, lots of women seem to like driving a big expensive 4x4!

If you're going to put it through the business, bik might be a consideration with the VW? 4WDs tend to be expensive on that front don't they? I'd go with the estate from your list. Just for my vote of course, I'm sure they'd all be nice. I like estates, room for stuff as well as people.

Decided against any Touareg now. It is clear they are serviced so infrequently that you could be buying can of worms. The one I had my eye on was last serviced at 15,000 miles. It has now done 32,000.

The car will be a personal purchase. So no BIK. The cost of leasing a car plus the BIK seems to be so much higher over a three year period than the depreciation suffered over the same time that it makes no sense to lease unless I really want a brand new car. I'm not that bothered.

So now the choice is the two Mercs; estate or saloon.

Both these cars would scare me to death to be honest! The Merc with their history of injector failures or the VW with the notoriously complicated and expensive to fix 3.0 tdi. You're a braver man than me! Make sure that you get a full main dealer service history with all recalls done, and a 12 month warranty minimum and preferably you will know a first class indie to maintain it. Are you sure you've ruled out a Lexus? Of course, if it's a company car, ignore everything i've said. The Merc would be my choice of the 2. The VW is just too big a bulky thing for everyday use and you'll be cracking open the beers if you ever see 30mpg I predict!

I'd have the estate. Everyone has to go to the tip sometimes !

Not ruled out Lexus, but I had a long drive in a GS450h about two years ago and whilst it was lovely, it was soulless. There is a very highly respected Merc indie on the way to my office. I think the injector failures were a few years before the ones I am looking at are built (2012).

Problem is time. I am very busy at work and don't have so much time to scout around looking.

As mentioned above, my car is black which I think suits it but I've seen E Class estates in a sort of swamp brown metallic which sounds vile but for some reason really works.

What colours are the ones you're looking at? Let me guess, black, silver or grey right? They all seem to be black silver or grey, unless they're burgundy !

;-)

Not black. With rear privacy glass it looks like a hea***! At least that's what I am told by SWMBO.

Not white. Don't know why but just dont want it.

So metallic silver/grey as there are no other choices around. Pity there are no interiors with cream leather. It's black or grey.

If I remember right you have school-age children, HB. In the long run you'll probably be glad not to have cream leather.

Interesting that you're going for a diesel despite not doing a huge mileage. I presume that's because there aren't many big Mercedes around with petrol power.

Diesel still seems to be in favour with buyers of big cars: that might change at some time in the future but perhaps not until truly efficient petrol engines of over 2 litres are developed, if indeed that's possible.

Avant

Children now a bit older so less worried about cream interiors. None available anyway. No petrol engines available either. The one V6 petrol for sale at some back street London garage was sold before I rang. Mind you, the guy I spoke to seemed a bit vague so who knows if I ring back it might still be available. ...

Surely cream is available if you want it?

Mercedes-Benz E220 CDI AMG Sport 2.1 5dr

Lovely; but wrong engine and too expensive!

More news.

Sat in a Lexus GS450h this morning. The back seats do not provide enough room for three people - much more cramped than an E-class the boot is much smaller to make way for the battery. I also sat in an RX450h. Very nice but with the sunroof, the person sitting in the middle of the back row cannot be very tall or their heads hits the roof lining. I am 5'7" and was too tall. Also way expensive.

A client has an BMW M5. Amazing car, but again not enough room in the back.

Getting there!

If possible, I'd go for an E-class estate over a saloon. Should hold value better, more practical, and IMO, better looking too.

Agree with you Trilogy. What's more, with the saloons, people might think you've started up a sideline in airport taxi runs.

;-)

So it looks as if it's coming down to an E-class. Should do you well, but if you're spending a fair amount of money I think you deserve six cylinders.

Thans Avant. The car I had my eye on was sold about 20 minutes before I rang to confirm I wanted to buy. I had spoken to the garage the night before, but some people apparently turned up out of the blue, saw it and bought it. Who knows.....

Cannot find another model like it - it was very well specced and the basic Mercedes lack some the creature comfots I was used to in the S-Max. They still persist in the stupid foot operated parking brake! EPBs are the way to go....(cat amongst the pigeons!)

Anyway, I am biding my time until the registration changes, which should bring some ex-lease cars onto the market at sensible prices.

I've got used to the foot operated parking brake. Won't say I like it but it no longer bothers me. Anyway, it's so flat where I live I hardly bother using it and just stick it in "P" mostly

I think I'd still prefer a lever if I lived somewhere there was a chance of sledging down the drive as I seem to recal you enjoy doing with your cars !

;-)

Alby, I agree with you regarding foot operated parking brake, especially when mated to an autobox. A bit like Saab with ignition key going in by the gear lever. Actually, I prefer it there to anywhere else, just so natural IMO.

AB - a good memory, but that was at least six years ago now. Hopefully not to be repeated. A good lesson that 4WD is still affected by gravity......

Went to have a look at a Mazda CX7 today. Nice car but manual only and like so many cars, it has a centre console that extends so far back it interferes with the ability of the back seat passengers to slide across without getting their feet stuck between the seat base and the console. So many cars would be much more comfortable and able to accommodate five people properly if they has shorter consoles.

i am down in watford going to look at a 2009 mercedes E320Cdi with 20,000 miles and full history. £11,000. If I buy it I have a good indy in Manchester who specialises in MB.

The car does not have SatNav so I will use my phone instead. Any recommendations for a good phone mount?

The car was not what I was looking for but at less than half the budget and with the colours I wanted and the apparent condition it seems too good not to take a closer look. Certainly that price if I decide that it is not for me after 12 months i'm sure I will get a very large proportion of the purchase price back.

Edited by Happy Blue! on 15/02/2015 at 07:45

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - dan86

The car does not have SatNav so I will use my phone instead. Any recommendations for a good phone mount?

It depends on what phone you have but eBay have a good selection I got one for 60p including postage and packaging and it's works on allphones and is very sturdy. Its a clamp type with a suction cup to stick it to the windscreen.

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/141351114186?nav=SEARCH

that is the one I got it works brilliantly and it has never fallen off the windscreen in 6 months.

Edited by dan86 on 15/02/2015 at 08:21

Samsung Galaxy S4. I understand there are some that clamp to the air vents or have a heavy base to sit on the dash?

Samsung Galaxy S4. I understand there are some that clamp to the air vents or have a heavy base to sit on the dash?

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - dan86

The jml grip go is good and works with the s4 but when I upgraded to the s5 it didn't work to we'll as the s5 has a rubbery back cover so didn't stick to it so that's y I bought the clamp one. The jml grip go doesn't work with the iPhone either.

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - Smileyman

I have a Brodit holder, soon will be changing the phone and will need to replace the front section only, leaving the base attached to the dashboard in situ.

e-retailer I will be using is http://www.dsldevelopments.com/ although there may be others too

Oh dear......

Car very nice but vendor missed the rust bubbling up around the rear nearside wheel arch. Also neglected to state that bluetooth required a plug in module costing over £150. I can cope with the module but don't fancy repairing rust when my similarly aged S Max had no rust at all.

So, on my way home.....

I'm sure I've seen reports of rust on Mercedes from a particular period - was it 2006-10? Someone may know in more detail, but there were rumours of cost-cutting which went too far and which was then remedied, so that more recent models are OK.

I still think there might be a nice new Skoda Superb estate with your name on it: there's a new model coming out later in the year so there will be good deals about. Your clients will think that someone who buys good value will give good value!

I'm sure I've seen reports of rust on Mercedes from a particular period - was it 2006-10? Someone may know in more detail, but there were rumours of cost-cutting which went too far and which was then remedied, so that more recent models are OK.

Mercedes-Benz had a bad decade, from 1995-2005.

Done a bit of research on the way home. It seems these cars were galvanised from early 2003 so any rust may be a sign of a previous repair. Certainly the history of the car shows service invoices with at least two replacement door mirrors so the previous owner parked by touch........ feel better for walking away.

Back to square one. Maybe there is a Skoda for me??

Skoda Superb estate sounds a good way to go. A Merc would be nice, but IMO, and from all I've read, is more likely to be a money pit than a Superb.

Sold the S-Max; Now what to get? - Brian Tryzers
The Superb is a very nice car, although only the top Elegance version offers anything but an all-black interior. We looked at the estate in 2012 before settling on an older (2009) E220 CDI estate instead, partly because the Superbs we liked all seemed very expensive.

The legroom in the rear of the Superb is enormous: I'm 1.97m and can sit behind my own driving position and waggle my legs. It's not awfully wide, though - something I'd consider an advantage in traffic and parking, but not if I regularly had to put three in the back. The E does frequently take three 10-13yo boys, who are OK for space in spite of the transmission tunnel. Not so good for three adults, of course, but few modern non-MPV cars are.

Welcome back, Brian. I see you last posted on here five years ago, so don't wait that long again!

Feel for you HB, don't you just feel like lumping these sales bods one, you dragged right down to Watford to be shown a car with obvious rust, he'd have needed therapy after receiving a piece of my mind for that.

Rust on a 2009 Benz isn't what we wanted to hear, especially after all the hype about moving on from the doldrum days of 95 to 05 ish.

Galvanising at MB was more or less across the board from 2005 (not sure about Vito vans and MPV's mind you, do they put any paint on them at all), i wonder if that 09 car could have been sat around for maybe 3 years before being registered and was in fact a non galvanised car?

Don't know GB. It was bought with only five miles on it from Car Giant in 2009 and given the colour it was unlikely to have been sitting around for three years. I suspect that there had been a slight ding previously which had been poorly repaired - although there was no sign of any repair or overspray etc.

A local indie I spoke to yesterday said I did well to keep away. I shall keep looking.

In the meantime, I have to find myself some wheels by the end of March. As my son turns 17 not long after and a member of staff needs a new small car early next year. I have decided to buy a new small runaround for me to drive and my son to practice on for a few months, after which it can go to the staff member. I need to have bluetooth and satnav so have been researching makes/models. I have seen very good value Nissan Notes, but understand that they are not as good as the previous model. Also in the frame are Seat Toledos and Skoda Rapids which are conspicuously good value compared to the VW Polos which are also around for similar money but are smaller and with smaller engines. Member of staff currently drives a two door Clio so anything would be better for him. It is amazing what good value cars are now, given the safety gubbins and other fancy features which are standard. The Note can be bought nearly new for under £9,500, the Rapid/Toledo twins for just under £11,000 and the Polo is clearly expensive at £11,500.

Sorry the Merc didn't work out HB. A friend has recently bought a VW Up for similar reasons to your latest thoughts. His son is about to start learning to drive so rather than replace one of the family cars with another larger one he's gone the other way and bought something he can commute a short-ish way in and use for his son learn on. He rather likes it but they do have another car on the drive with more room.

Well, I've done it.

Bought a Renault Captur 0.9TCe Dynamique Nav. £1,250 manufacturer contribution then 40% down and the rest at 0% over four years. Cheaper than buying a pre-reg if you take into account the new registration year.

Drives surprisingly well for the engine size and remarkably quiet at 70mph. Well specced and comfortable. Hopefully within 12 months eldest child will have passed his driving test and I can revert to my usual mode of transport (large and automatic) or I will have a mid life crisis and buy an MX5.

You trendy old thing you ! Enjoy !!

Sounds like a good choice for the purpose, HB. I hope you'll tell us in due course how you get on with it: hopefully Renaults are now once again the good cars that they were before 2000, when there was a terrible downturn in quality for 5 years or so. Then after that the cars themselves seemed to lack flair - but now they seem to be making cars like the Captur that people want.

Your last line of course give the answer we've all been skating around - an MX-5 will give the perfect image to your clients!

No doubt Happy Pink has something with four seats which you can borrow if you ever have to take more than one client to lunch.

Well, for a short space of time, we will have a Juke and a Captur on the drive. Neither of them big but we will cope as the Captur is bigger than the Juke. I suspect that my wife will like the Captur and demand one for herself (or something similar) when the Juke returns to the lease company next February. The question is whether a 2-seater is my regular car or an occasional car. In reality I do need a four door, four seat car sufficiently regularly to make a sports car untenable. However I have a few months to decide what to do.

Will report back once the car is on the drive.