Sportage 1.6 yetii 1.2 c-max 1.0 125 c-max1.6 ix35 1.6 - Av mpg over first 2 miles from cold - Golden321
looking to compare above petrol engines for very short trips from cold, av mpg. I do lots of these trips, as well as my other sort of trip as in previous post regarding cruise.

Edited by Golden321 on 31/01/2015 at 09:18

Sportage 1.6 yetii 1.2 c-max 1.0 125 c-max1.6 ix35 1.6 - Av mpg over first 2 miles from cold - RT

Without a laboratory there are too many variables - the official EU Urban figure should allow you to compare in those conditions.

Sportage 1.6 yetii 1.2 c-max 1.0 125 c-max1.6 ix35 1.6 - Av mpg over first 2 miles from cold - Golden321
With respect the offiial mpg has the car going tog to 31 mph 3 times and they are allowed 29 seconds to reach 31 mph and it takes place at a temperature of 29 degreesC! Yes the test is the same for all cars, i will agree on that. Thanks for your reply.
Have tried to edit previous reply but unable to so here is edited version.
My apologies, should have helped by saying urban and fairly flat. With respect the official mpg test has the car going to 31 mph 3 times and they are allowed 29 seconds to reach 31 mph and it takes place at a temperature of 29 degreesC! Therefore they are nowhere near realistic figures. How realistic I believe varies from engine to engine etc, hence comparing the official figures for different engines is nowhere near ideal to say the least. Yes the test is the same for all cars, i will agree on that. There has been an awful lot of very disappointed owners of the engine which has won so many awards the ford 1.0 125 ecoboost because some owners are I am led to believe getting nowhere near the stated official mpg. They didnt expect to achieve the official but a certain percentage below, but in their experience are achieving way lower. I do not wish to say that that engine is poor on mpg as I have little experience of it myself. There are even lawsuits taking place in the USA regarding what owners of some vehicles regard as misleading official figures. (not for the engine above).
Thanks for your reply.
Sportage 1.6 yetii 1.2 c-max 1.0 125 c-max1.6 ix35 1.6 - Av mpg over first 2 miles from cold - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

The average mpg from the current cold conditions, much colder than 29°C, is likely to be low over the first 2 miles. Maybe 30 mpg at best, as an educated guess, from long driving experience.

Unless you want to set up your own laboratory, you will have to work with the official figures and not damn forum members with faint praise. Ask existing owners of the above cars for their mpg.

Sportage 1.6 yetii 1.2 c-max 1.0 125 c-max1.6 ix35 1.6 - Av mpg over first 2 miles from cold - Avant

Much as we like to help on this forum, I'm not sure that figures are going to be much use to you. One 'short journey' might be mostly along a dual carriageway, another might be in a town centre. The official figures are usually misleading, although in this case I suppose you could compare the 'urban' figures for each of these cars.

My choice would be the Yeti 1.2: the TSI petrol engines in VW Group cars are efficient, torquey and economical. The Ford 1.0 could also suit you: it's apparently not very economical when stretched, but in town it should OK. But if you do a lot of motorway running, as per your other thread, go for the Yeti 1.2 or 1.4.

Sportage 1.6 yetii 1.2 c-max 1.0 125 c-max1.6 ix35 1.6 - Av mpg over first 2 miles from cold - madf

If you are driving a cold engine for two miles, my rough calculation for a PETROL car is : urban mpg divided by two.

Given variables, it is a GUIDE only.

Sportage 1.6 yetii 1.2 c-max 1.0 125 c-max1.6 ix35 1.6 - Av mpg over first 2 miles from cold - daveyjp

Over a couple of miles our MBs will do the urban mpg. They are both giving warm air after a few hundred metres.

Sportage 1.6 yetii 1.2 c-max 1.0 125 c-max1.6 ix35 1.6 - Av mpg over first 2 miles from cold - xtrailman

Have a play with Whatcar true mpg, it will allow you to compare your choices using traffic density, speed and road type, i find it quite accurate.

Problem is most of the cars are diesel.

Edited by xtrailman on 31/01/2015 at 14:50

Thanks. Yes have already played with that.
Sorry what is an mb?