Warning for drivers visiting Cambridge - Trilogy

Plethora of fixed speed cameras, they are in operation. In comparison, the whole of Suffolk has just one or two.

Also, keep out of bus lanes. Cameras are functioning.

If you are visiting it is best to 'Park and ride'. If you think you can park by roadside in centre of Cambridge on Sundays free, that has now changed.

If you drive in the centre of the city, along one way streets, beware of pedal powered items coming towards you.

Otherwise, it is a wonderful place to visit.

Warning for drivers visiting Cambridge - 72 dudes

Cambridge has always been one of the most car unfriendly places I have ever visited. It's worse than York and Canterbury.

Sounds like it's getting worse. The riders of the pedal powered items are either fearless, arrogant or plain stupid. Actually a mix of all three, and don't even think about getting in their way!

I'm only 35 miles away (perhaps near you, Trilogy) and somebody at work was saying that for a family of four to 'park and ride' it's about £6. That'll get us all using it, then!

Warning for drivers visiting Cambridge - daveyjp

£6 per family is about right for Park and Ride. £3 for adults, children are free. York is similar.

Cardiff only charge to park the car which is about £3, regardless of the number of passengers which is the cheapest I have found.

From my experience the places above all have very expensive city centre car parking so it is an incentive to use the P&R.

Where is does fall down is places like Leeds where the Council have failed in trying to encourage Park and Ride use. For two adults it is cheaper to park for 8 hours in the Council city centre car park than to pay for Park and Ride and as there are very few bus lanes from the P&R to the city centre you end up in the traffic you would be in getting to the car park.

Warning for drivers visiting Cambridge - RickyBoy

Cambridge is ace. We'd rather drive across there for a coffee and a 4-hr wander in the city than venture up to MK these days.

I'll admit that we generally only go across on Sat/Sun and that it was particularly mean of them to start charging last year for Sun parking, initially on Queen's Road (The Backs), then more recently up West Road (nearly got caught out myself but spotted the red 'add-on' signs just before walking-off), but if you're prepared for a 10-min hike, and get there reasonably early, there's usually free parking spaces to be had on Cranmer & certainly on Herschel. This is, of course, if approaching C from the W.

However, if these streets too eventually become 'chargeable' then I'll resort to P&R and use my bus-pass/pay for Mrs RB, but I/we love the place so wouldn't be deterred...

Warning for drivers visiting Cambridge - Trilogy

RickyBoy, don't go telling people the best roads to park on. In future we'll potentially have further to walk.

Anywhere is nicer than MK for a day out, IMO.

Warning for drivers visiting Cambridge - concrete

York and Durham have excellent park and ride facilities and not expensive. Durham only 50p last year for SWMBO, free for old me. York was £1.50p, again only for SWMBO. Not bad at all. Use it wherever I can. Shrewsbury was the last one and it takes so much hassle out of the journey. Now we live in Kent we go to Canterbury and use it there too. Well worth the money. A couple of years ago we took SWMBOs' late mother to York. Couldn't really use the P&R so parked in an official council car park nera the city walls. It cost me over £10 for a 5 hour stay. Talk about open wallet surgery!!! I felt like taking the tarmac home! So P&R for me whenever possible.

Cheers Concrete

Warning for drivers visiting Cambridge - ExA35Owner

And the guided busway is another hazard if you are really careless. Driving a car onto the busway, against the signs which ban cars, can lead to a Car Trap - also well signed. Must say I was impressed with the guided buses though as I recall the system has been much more expensive to set up than was expected.

Warning for drivers visiting Cambridge - bananastand

Having tried the Cambridge park and ride service twice, for me it's "never again". Hours and hours gone from my life that I will never get back. The park and ride car park I used is in the middle of a road system that got hopelessly jammed at rush hour anyway, somewhat defeating the purpose! If I must, I think I'll use the train

Warning for drivers visiting Cambridge - Engineer Andy

The Cambridge Guided Busway (essentially buses acting as trams on dedicated roadways until they reach the city ring road-ish) and Park & Ride Services can vary significantly depending upon where you're coming from and going to - any trip right to the centre of the city (as opposed to, say, the Cineworld cinema complex near the train station [which isn't in the centre for non-locals in the BR]) means that the buses have to go through the heavily congested roads inside the inner ringroad.

The Busway is great for those from north of Cambridge visiting Addenbrooke's Hospital or the train station, as it goes unimpeded directly there, but from then on in, its back to busy roads, admittedly some with bus lanes (some on the main roads [where two lanes each way are possible] from the south and east, but no over the entire lengths, hence the long trips.

I'm relatively lucky living in Royston (only 15 miles SW and about 20 mins by train [+20min walk, or jig-jog bus ride to the city centre]) - I find outside of the rush hour, car is OK, and obviously required if you're buying lots of shopping, and better than the P&R. Rush hour, then it depends upon where you're coming from/going to - I would go by train (the train is about £6-£7 on weekdays, £4-£5 on weekends return) and walk in from the station.

It would be very difficult and very expensive to make Cambridge car friendly (if even possible), as with many medieval cities, they're obviously not designed for motorised transport, especially where the city is the main draw for shoppers and tourists for a large area.

In my view, the City Council should, barring access (people living in the city centre, certain [limited] commercial deliveries/pickups), ban all non-public transport/emergency services from inside the inner ring road, and further improve the bus/train services to help shoppers with large amounts of shopping use them (storage on buses is poor/very limited). This would include better provision of late evening services (many train services stop just after midnight) to cater for people going to evening events.

Warning for drivers visiting Cambridge - bananastand

I can't see a solution really, speaking as someone who abhors sharing my travelling space with coughing spluttering randomers, drunks, bullies, ignoramuses, the unwashed, and so on.

I did some promotional work in the centre once, just by one of those brass or bronze 3d maps, if you've seen them you know what I mean. Over the course of a short working day I saw about 4 or 5 collisions involving bikes.