Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Smileyman

First plans to introduce a 80mph speed limit were scrapped now the HA are introducing a new level of cameras on motorways ... journey times set to get longer.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11346889/Stealth-cameras-to-be-installed-on-motorways.html

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - mss1tw

This link from that article is even better

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-tran...l

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - scot22

Why are some people so concerned with making a journey a few minutes faster ?

What is wrong with ensuring the law is obeyed ?

Or, are we allowed to pick and choose which laws we wish to abide by ?

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - brum

I object because these cameras will be used primarily for revenue raising. Everyone occasionaly inadvertendly drifts over the speed limit on motorways unintenionally and I refuse to accept that you have never. With these smart signs it is sometimes very confusing to keep track of the current limit and other drivers can mislead you into thinking they are higher than they are. What happens if you are just past a sign and it suddenly changes speed limits down, and you havent been privvy to the change?

What happened to the established legal position that all speed cameras must be clearly visible and painted yellow? Or that they should only be deployed where serious accidents have occured in the past? Or is the agency reponsible for this stealth crrap above the law?

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - RT

Occasional "drifting" over the limit doesn't get penalised - on a NSL motorway with 70 limit, 79mph, that's 80+ on a speedo is the lowest speed that's penalised.

If that's you idea of "drifting" heaven help us!

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Leif

Occasional "drifting" over the limit doesn't get penalised - on a NSL motorway with 70 limit, 79mph, that's 80+ on a speedo is the lowest speed that's penalised.

If that's you idea of "drifting" heaven help us!

I'm pretty sure it is discretionary and they can do you for doing 71mph if they so wish.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - alan1302

I'm pretty sure it is discretionary and they can do you for doing 71mph if they so wish.

They can - but very unlikely

I was only asking questions. Your points are all valid. Of course I have sometimes broken the speed limit - I am a human being. I confess to once having received 3 points on my license.

Personally I don't see why something to detect law breaking should be visible. Unmarked police cars have long been something I advocate. Also is it not a good idea to try and prevent serious accidents in the first place ?

Considering its importance it is incredible, in my opinion, that there has never been a serious and fact led national debate about driving. Then there could be worthwhile action. Still I don't suppose politicians wish to jeopardise votes from any area.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Sofa Spud

As long as the stealth cameras have a little bit of 'tolerance' built in, I don't see any problem.

It would be a good idea to see these cameras on non-motorways. One particular kind of location where speed limits need to be enforced is crossings and junctions on main roads where visibility for emerging traffic is limited.

If you're turning to turn right onto a busy main road with a 40 mph limit and there's restricted visibility, it's much more difficult if drivers on the main road are ignoring the limit and doing 50 or 60. If there's a camera, most drivers will obey the limit and the few that don't will get caught.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 16/01/2015 at 09:42

Excellent points made and examples given. This is what should inform a national debate - situations where inappropriate speed can increase danger. There are many places which would benefit more from speed limit enforcement than motorways.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Bromptonaut

Excellent points made and examples given. This is what should inform a national debate - situations where inappropriate speed can increase danger. There are many places which would benefit more from speed limit enforcement than motorways.

The map with the press reports suggests these cameras are going in on predominantly 'urban' motorways (eg M1 round Sheffield and Leeds). Don't know if KSI stats bear it out, but common sense would suggest these sections are more dangerous than long cross country bits.

Yes, I agree with your comments. A point I was trying to add is the many dangerous situations caused by speeding on country roads (non-motorway). The have been some horrendous examples of drivers ignoring the need to have a safe stopping distance.

There needs to be much more thought applied to driving and the variables which need to be considered when decision making as a driver or planner.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - daveyjp

For very good reasons the M621 serving Leeds city centre is 50mph.

Officers from the unmarked police car can regularly be seen emptying driver's wallets as far too many believe the limit doesn't apply to them and I have seen numerous near misses as a result.

For very good reasons the M621 serving Leeds city centre is 50mph.

It always was too right back to when it was still the M1.

For an exiled Tyke passing the Stourton junction and then the signs for Leeds Urban Motorway was that 'nearly home' moment. Same effect as when the train crawled over the old Holbeck viaduct route and one got first sight of the University and other city landmarks.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Andrew-T

I object because these cameras will be used primarily for revenue raising. Everyone occasionaly inadvertently drifts over the speed limit on motorways unintenionally and I refuse to accept that you have never.

Sorry, brum, I thnk this is a flimsy justification for a wish to drive faster than what is a reasonable compromise between safety and expediency. There is 'revenue-raising' because most people are only deterred by a hit in the wallet (I think we would all agree that exceeding a speed limit is not an imprisonable offence). If these fines can be more effectively collected automatically instead of by cops in chase cars, so much the better. And I suspect that may be behind your objection - you are more likely to be caught by a camera.

Most of the time, going over the speed limit is a harmless activity. But the consequences of a mishap are worse at higher speeds. And of course your journey will cost more the faster you do it.

And personally, I don't think I have ever gone over an indicated 75 in 50 years' driving. I could, but I choose not to. Motorway driving is not a game of cops and robbers where it 'isn't fair' to be caught.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - balleballe

I tend to drive anywhere from an indicated 60-80mph. An indicated 80mph in my car is actually 75 so its still fine.

Occasionally I give my car an 'italian tune' around once a month or so and I drive a fair bit faster than that. I only do this in the very early hours of the morning on a empty motorway. Looks like i'll have to stop and live with a sluggish car

Occasionally I give my car an 'italian tune' around once a month or so and I drive a fair bit faster than that. I only do this in the very early hours of the morning on a empty motorway. Looks like i'll have to stop and live with a sluggish car

Or have it serviced properly, then it won't need an "Italian Tune-Up".

It's serviced every 12500 miles - feels sluggish with lots of town driving over a prolonged period of time.

I am not aware of a service that helps burn carbon buildup

It's serviced every 12500 miles - feels sluggish with lots of town driving over a prolonged period of time.

I am not aware of a service that helps burn carbon buildup

Run some more expenisve petrol through it for a tankful - all the additioanl additives/detergents can help.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Chris M

But 70mph in 3rd will give your car an Italian tune. And you remain legal!

Proper servicing has nothing to do with not needing an Italian tuneup. Engines perform better if they are extended occassionally above 3,000 rpm.

Edited by Chris M on 16/01/2015 at 12:49

But 70mph in 3rd will give your car an Italian tune. And you remain legal!

Good call - my car's geared pretty short so might be ok in 4th

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Gibbo_Wirral

I tend to drive anywhere from an indicated 60-80mph. An indicated 80mph in my car is actually 75 so its still fine.

Why is 75 "fine" when the limit is 70?

And you can do an "italian tune up" at 60mph in 4th gear or even third if you want to push the revs to the limit.

Further to my previous comments, I have no objection to clearly marked and visible cameras, that way they are a deterrant that constantly reminds you. Personally I feel single shot speed camera traps on motorways are not the answer, the average speed specs cameras are far more effective at controlling driver speeds, again because of the regularity of the reminder. But I expect they dont generate anywhere near as much revenue as a stealth snapper.

If the government were really serious about speeding, they would mandate compulsory speed limiters on cars, like they do in lorries, why not limit cars by design to 70mph?

BTW those who say their speedo reads 10% are fooling themselves, most speedos I've checked read between 3 and 8 percent high, and vary depending on driving environment due to the complexities of the tyre/road interface. These same people then assume its ok to add a further 10% plus 1 mph because of the alledged police guidelines...any speed even 1mph over the limit is technically illegal. Whether minor speeding is dangerous is entirely another debate.

Edited by brum on 16/01/2015 at 13:18

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Chris M

60mph in 4th is NOT an Italian tuneup. Once the engine is properly up to temperature you need to get it up to 5,000 rpm and maybe even a bit more.

I use the motorway every day. As a rule, I join in 3rd matching my speed to the traffic, so 60 - 70 mph and approaching 5,000rpm (It's a C1). No need to think about Italian tuneups - do it every day.

Why is 75 "fine" when the limit is 70?

And you can do an "italian tune up" at 60mph in 4th gear or even third if you want to push the revs to the limit.

I dont see how 70mph is dangerous and therefore and should the conditions be fine for it, one could safely do a much higher speed if need be.

Im not aware of the UK having a lower incident rate on our motorways than our European neighbours, but they have much higher legal speed limits.

Most motorists break the limit according to all the research simply because it's a low limit to start with. If someone is in the middle lane doing 65mph I will overtake them quickly. I wont overtake them at 70 during busy periods as I dont want to inconvenience a driver going faster than me.

I will go at 75mph simply because I cannot be prosecuted for it. I pay enough tax as it is without giving them any more of my hard earned cash

Edited by balleballe on 16/01/2015 at 14:52

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - FP

So far in this thread, no-one has really addressed what I think may be on the agenda here, though I'm sure no-one in authority will be prepared to admit it.

We must be fast getting to the point where road-users will think that they will never be able reliably to spot speed cameras quickly enough to slow down as they approach, if they're speeding. The cameras won't be easily identifiable and there will soon be a huge number of them. That way, people will not speed - on main roads anyway - because they will believe there's little chance of getting away with it.

The French have been using uobtrusive, unmarked speed cameras for years and satnavs are not allowed to warn of their presence.

I'm making no comment about the desirability or otherwise of such a development.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - slkfanboy

We are told that 5% of fatel accidents happen on motorways, so why are wasting money on this? Target urban areas where 50% happen. or B roads.

A Sad lack of understand leeding to wasted efforts with good intentions.

Exactly right : as I posted, we need a fact led discussion and action as a result - otherwise waste of time.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Leif

We are told that 5% of fatel accidents happen on motorways, so why are wasting money on this? Target urban areas where 50% happen. or B roads.

A Sad lack of understand leeding to wasted efforts with good intentions.

Because there are more cars on a motorway than on a housing estate, so cameras will generate more income on the motorways?

The French have been using uobtrusive, unmarked speed cameras for years and satnavs are not allowed to warn of their presence.

The fundamental problem is that some drivers won't accept that posted speed limits are a compromise between public safety and making individual progress. You may argue that some limits are too low for today's advanced vehicles and expert and experienced drivers, but that's another issue.

So how are those drivers to be persuaded to conform, if they don't do it voluntarily? Why should cameras be conspicuous, just so that they can slow down and deceive them? All's fair in love and war, and although M-way driving may be neither of those, I personally am not angered by this kind of hidden surveillance.

My pet hate is the progressive imposition of short limits at any number ending in zero between 20 and 70. It gets harder to remember just what speed one is allowed to do where.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - quizman

If I have to stick to 70mph I will probably drop to sleep through boredom.

The speed limit should be 80mph like in France, the 70mph limit was introduced when Ford Populars were on the road.

I've got a Defender and I can tell you I'm safer in my 5 series at 90mph than 70mph in the Defender.

All that will happen is they will get more money in fines and drivers will constantly be looking at the speedo instead of where they are going.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - daveyK_UK

This is all about revenue raising

This is all about revenue raising

So is the tax on smoking and drinking. Anything people enjoy and are willing to pay for.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Nigel_HD
Some have made comments about the tolerance within the posted limits. I thought the general guidelines of the Association of Chief Police Officers were 10% + 3 mph, so (in theory) this allows up to 80mph before you get a ticket. I've always set the cruise control below 80mph when I need to make a fast journey. Despite this, however, I have always kept rigidly to the lower limits in the SPECS time cameras set up in roadworks. Perhaps my logic is flawed. So, are these stealth cameras going to hit you at 71mph or 81mph ? This the real issue. I suppose nobody in Authority will ever give the definitive answer.
Some have made comments about the tolerance within the posted limits. I thought the general guidelines of the Association of Chief Police Officers were 10% + 3 mph, so (in theory) this allows up to 80mph before you get a ticket. I've always set the cruise control below 80mph when I need to make a fast journey. Despite this, however, I have always kept rigidly to the lower limits in the SPECS time cameras set up in roadworks. Perhaps my logic is flawed. So, are these stealth cameras going to hit you at 71mph or 81mph ? This the real issue. I suppose nobody in Authority will ever give the definitive answer.

No, Nigel - ACPO guidelines are up to 10%+1mph - at 10%+2mph action is normally taken - so 78mph (GPS) is normally ok, not all forces apply ACPO guidelines.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - madf

I see maniacs breaking speed limits all the time.

They consider they are safe drivers, ignore the impact on other users and complain about speed cameras.

I welcome this and hope they get caught and dined - preferably a lot.

I welcome this and hope they get caught and dined - preferably a lot.

madf - is that what you really meant? :-)

If I have to stick to 70mph I will probably drop to sleep through boredom.

I suggest that the purpose of M-way driving is not to provide excitement. When it does, it is usually not welcome.

The benefit of stealth cameras is to stop drivers flexing their speed in response to enforcement. I see no problem with proper enforcement of the law; it’s the right thing to do. That includes stealth cameras if appropriate. But the motorway speed limit for cars ought to have been increased as promised by the PM at the last election. 80 mph in good conditions is not unsafe, the problem with speed is when it is inappropriate or excessive for the conditions – and that could just as easily be driving at 50 as driving at 80.

When the limit is set unrealistically low for the conditions what results is that the law is disregarded, it is treated with contempt and a climate of abuse sets in. No-one speed limit is appropriate for all conditions, the French have recognised this for wet roads, many places change the motorway speed limit near junctions or in urban areas and even the HA recognise this with the variable limit regime.

Setting the motorway limit to 80 then enforcing it, not with a +10% + 2 approach but with a 80 + anything approach is reasonable; to force drivers (who currently drive at 80) to slow down to 70 when 80 is safe will increase journey times, possibly driver fatigue, create frustration etc and all for no good reason.

The cameras should also…

Identify (middle) lane hoggers

Identify tailgaters

Identify vehicles travelling below the minimum speed limit

And punish them equally with those who drive too fast, after all they too are breaking the law.

The cameras should also…

Identify (middle) lane hoggers

Identify tailgaters

Identify vehicles travelling below the minimum speed limit

And punish them equally with those who drive too fast, after all they too are breaking the law.

Add to the list:

HJ Backroom members for impersonating real law enforcement officers, they are usually the ones flashing someone in the middle lane when the outer lane is clear....

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - ExA35Owner

The average speed cameras in the m-way roadworks seem to do their job very well, with traffic sticking to the speed limit. I drive the M6 quite frequently and the distinction between the roadworks with and without enforcement is really noticeable. I would not like to be a worker in the apparently non-enforced areas.

While other aspects of driving standards enforcement such as mobile phone use, seatbelts, due care and attention and so on still need the Eyeball Mark I, the enforcement of speed limits and a few other things can sensibly be automated. This removes a workload from the police and must increase the chance that offenders will be caught. Sadly it also means that chief officers can decide there is less need for patrolling and therefore the other offences may be detected less frequently.

And I'm afraid I don't accept the special pleading that it's all to generate revenue. Most FPNs are relatively cheap, so the "profit margin" over costs must be low. Perhaps someone can point me to an FOI response which proves me wrong?

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - alastairq

I recdently had one of Her MAjesty's rather large green lorries on a run along some motorway things.

Said lorry had a speed limiter function. I used this, set to 50mph [speedo accurate enough] for teh endless 50 mph road works/average speed cameras....found myself overtaking almost everything in sight! Easily done, as I had full throttle control...knowing the leprechaun in the dashboard would not let me go over 50!

The lanes could have been a bit wider, though!

I note, to pay a tax, one must first 'earn' it...? If you don't want to pay tax, don't earn it.

As has been pointed out above, very succinctly....people complain about getting caught speeding simply because, they are not being allowed to do what they want to do.

Its all petulism, really.

Spoiled brat syndrome.

But, don't let me put you off, carry on speeding, by all means.

Edited by alastairq on 17/01/2015 at 16:01

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Snakey

Prepare to see wave after wave of speed/bus/parking cameras in the coming years as revenue from road tax drops. The government and local councils use motorists as a rich source of renevue already so the process is already accepted.

When I passed my test some years ago (20+!) I would have been given a telling off by a local plod for accidentally driving in a bus lane (not that those stupid things existed then) but now that copper is too busy strapping on body armour and weaponry, so the cctv/anpr camera is the new traffic police.

In motoring,like so many areas of modern life - human error is just not acceptable - you're guilty, the camera says so.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - YG2007

Speed doesn't kill its inappropirate speed that can lead to a death. I am all for intelligent motorways keeping the traffic moving by limiting speed limits on busy urban motorwarys to 50-60 mph according to traffic flow. However 70mph is frustratingly slow on an empty motorway on a clear dry day with little traffic. People use motorways to cover distances safely and quickly. With the modern motor vehicle it is quite possible to drive safely at speeds up to 90mph in conditions described above.

The cameras monitor speed, and density and adjust the speed display signs accordingly. They also monitor poor driving such as lane hogging and tail gating. The government gets its cash from the roads, the road safety people have fewer statistics, the intelligent driver gets where he wants to go quicker and the muppet who cant drive correctly either by speed or lane discipline gets fined off the road. Result Everyone happy, roads safer,m ore cash and you can get to where you want to be because there will be few drivers on the road

simples

With the modern motor vehicle it is quite possible to drive safely at speeds up to 90mph in conditions described above.

But most driver's aren't that capable - so until a way is found of separating "wheat from chaff", we're all restricted to a lower speed.

Even simpler!

Speed doesn't kill its ....

I do wish the higher-limit lobby would stop trotting out the 'Speed doesn't kill' mantra, I believe coined in response to the SPEED KILLS message issued by our authorities. It doesn't mean precisely what it says (which is clearly not true), just that in an accident More speed = More damage. It's equivalent to the Smoking Kills message on most fag packets.

Still a message worth remembering though.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - galileo

The original point raised was that the new cameras are to be grey and less obvious than existing yellow ones.

The question is: Is it the intention a) to deter speeding in the interest of safety, or b) to allow speeding in order to collect revenue from drivers who have not observed the cameras?

Self evidently, if cameras are not conspicuous, the answer is b)

The law requires speed limit signs to be visible, a prescribed size and format - it's ridiculous that it became "normal" that speed cameras must be highly visible.

If you don't see the speed limit signs why do you expect to see the cameras ?

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Reentrant

Looking at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country we have a lower motorway limit than most if not all of Europe. Given that the cars are the same, is that because we have worse motorways, worse drivers or a worse government?

Edited by Reentrant on 19/01/2015 at 17:38

Looking at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country we have a lower motorway limit than most if not all of Europe. Given that the cars are the same, is that because we have worse motorways, worse drivers or a worse government?

Or more congestion ?

A lot of Europe uses 130 (about 80) on motorways but in some it's subject to caveats about rain. Some stretches in France are 110 and 110/120 is quite common in Germany too. While there are still derestricred Autobahns they're neither as comon nor as fast as they were.

Bearing in mind the prevalence of 'zero tolerance' enforcement and potentially large fines payable on the spot in rest of EU I'm struggling to see UK drivers as discriminated against.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 19/01/2015 at 17:51

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - ExA35Owner

Speed doesn't kill its ....

I do wish the higher-limit lobby would stop trotting out the 'Speed doesn't kill' mantra, I believe coined in response to the SPEED KILLS message issued by our authorities. It doesn't mean precisely what it says (which is clearly not true), just that in an accident More speed = More damage. It's equivalent to the Smoking Kills message on most fag packets.

Still a message worth remembering though.

Kinetic energy - which will kill you - is proportional to the square of speed. 80mph carries about 1.3 times as much KE as 70mph.

I'm seriously impressed by this. I'm very interested about your personal knowledge to be able to give this information.

This is a respectful query because people on forums can post anything without necessarily being accurate.

I'm seriously impressed by this. I'm very interested about your personal knowledge to be able to give this information.

This is a respectful query because people on forums can post anything without necessarily being accurate.

School science says he's right!!!

www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_aqa...l

Thanks - I was never really interested in science (no excuse) and did not take it to any level beyond the age of 14 - explains why I was seriously impressed !.

It really does make a difference to the argument, in my opinion.

Thanks - I was never really interested in science (no excuse) and did not take it to any level beyond the age of 14 - explains why I was seriously impressed !.

erindoors is a science teacher and told me where to look.

It really does make a difference to the argument, in my opinion.

Being accustomed to responses of 'usual suspects' I read that as doesn't at first and was about to challenge. Having wrestled Pavlov from the driving seat I can shout I AGREE?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 19/01/2015 at 20:17

Speed in itself does not kill, but the application of excessive speed will, if involved in an accident, most likely result in a greater severity of crash and may increase the chance of a more severe injury or death.

I still consider modern cars with modern effective brakes and passive safety can drive safely at 80 mph in fair weather conditions on the UK's roads with safety. After all, many do it today.

I'm keen to see what is being done legalsised (as promised at the last election by the PM) then going after the real dangerous drivers - those who use inappropriate speed.

I have first hand knowledge that one does not need to be driving at a high speed to be involved in a fatal accident. My late neice who died in a car crash aged 21 proves that point.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Wukl

I'm sorry to read that Smileyman.

In a previous job, I attended crash scenes to assess infrastructure damage, which was rather sobering. It's clear that cars nowadays are very much more able to handle 80, 90 or even 100mph and stop with an ease undreamed of in our youth. But that's when the car is under control; when it's out of control on a wet road, or worse still rolling, the same laws of physics apply. It's a lot of kinetic energy to dissipate. A two tonne Q7 at 60 can do an awful lot of damage, and a large number of bridge parapets or guardrails can simply not cope with them. And a 50 year old tree is still as sturdy as it was when we all drove Cortinas and Renault 4s. Yes, cars are safer but raising the speed limit is asking for trouble, especially as the weak link remains the person behind the wheel who has the same reactions, little better training, less empathy (seemingly) and arguably more distractions than drivers in the past.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - Snakey

I don't think theres any reason or point to raise our speed limits anyway.

Motorways in this country you'd be doing well to do 70mph for very long before you're down to 50 behind a wagon, or stopped for roadworks.

My commute involves 16 miles of motorway. If I ever get up to 70mph I will let you know but 16 years in and I think I've managed to reach 60mph!

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - galileo

My commute involves 16 miles of motorway. If I ever get up to 70mph I will let you know but 16 years in and I think I've managed to reach 60mph!

Try the M6 North of Lancaster, especially from Kendal onwards. Usually pretty light traffic.

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - bananastand

You know what's coming soon from an EU commissioner near you. All cars to be electronically limited to, say, 80 mph. When RFID technology permits, the limit can be set lower in urban zones. This of course will not apply to government vehicles, including those owned/run by party officials.

You know what's coming soon from an EU commissioner near you. All cars to be electronically limited to, say, 80 mph. When RFID technology permits, the limit can be set lower in urban zones. This of course will not apply to government vehicles, including those owned/run by party officials.

Sounding like one of your conspiracies again!

Surely they would be limited to 70mph though? :-)

Any & All - Stealth Motorway Cameras .... - oldroverboy.

We have had average speed cameras on the a465. heads of the valleys for a couple of years now and also recently around Newport and Port Talbot on the M4.

I stick to the limits and save fuel, fines and points.

The A12 has 2 sections of cameras so just obey them.