Ford Focus 1.6 auto Zetec. - Jump starting a car. - bluenun

My car has been in a storage container for 12 months.

I disconnected the battery when I left it so when i connect it back up I expect the battery will be flat.

My friend can drive me to the container and i have jump leads in the car.

I have read up on the correct sequence to connect the leads to the terminals.

Red from donor car positive terminal to my car positive terminal.

Black from donor car negative terminal to a suitable earthing point on the engine or chassis.

I always thought I should connect it to my negative terminal.

Where would be a suitable earthing point?

Ford Focus 1.6 auto Zetec. - Jump starting a car. - mss1tw

I've only ever done as you say, put it on the negative battery terminal. Always been fine so far.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto Zetec. - Jump starting a car - brighteyes
If, as you suspect, your battery is completely flat, trying to jump start it could result in damage not only to your vehicle but also from the donor vehicle. The flat battery will present a low resistance load and when connected to a fully charged battery could possibly buckle the plates of both batteries and overload the alternator on the donor vehicle. I suggest that you leave your battery on trickle charge overnight or even fit a new battery as your old one may well be u/s given how long it has been left unused.
Ford Focus 1.6 auto Zetec. - Jump starting a car. - jc2

My car has been in a storage container for 12 months.

I disconnected the battery when I left it so when i connect it back up I expect the battery will be flat.

My friend can drive me to the container and i have jump leads in the car.

I have read up on the correct sequence to connect the leads to the terminals.

Red from donor car positive terminal to my car positive terminal.

Black from donor car negative terminal to a suitable earthing point on the engine or chassis.

I always thought I should connect it to my negative terminal.

Where would be a suitable earthing point?

Usually there is a "lifting" point in the area of the cylinder head-the reason is to avoid sparks in the area of the battery when you make the final connection-connect it to the the battery earth if you're careful.

Edited by jc2 on 15/01/2015 at 08:27