Any - Words fail me! - Smileyman

What not to do when the low fuel warning light comes on (we're lucky there was not an accident)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11335809/Woman-stops-Audi-Q7-in-lane-three-of-M25-as-fuel-light-comes-on.html

Any - Words fail me! - mss1tw

Should've been charged for causing an obstruction or driving without due care. We're talking about the major road of the south east and assosciated speeds and traffic, not a minor backroad.

Any - Words fail me! - balleballe

That woman is clearly an idiot......that is all

Any - Words fail me! - focussed

Anothe fully paid up member of Brake- the charity that is the problem, not the solution.

Any - Words fail me! - Ordovices

What's the connection with Brake?

Any - Words fail me! - mss1tw

What's the connection with Brake?

I think it's a play on words and their idea that braking solves every motoring problem/issue.

Any - Words fail me! - groaver

There is a reason why some people simply should not drive.

Do we need to incorporate an IQ check in the Driving Test?

Any - Words fail me! - Bromptonaut

Anither perspective:

Clearly, given it was only low fuel, she should have carried on to junction or services. The report does not tell us why, believing the car had a more serious issue, she stopped in a running lane.

Don't know Godstone - Sevenoaks section of M25 but a check on street view suggests it's 'smart' motorway with all lanes running and no hard shoulder. Neither do we know what trafffic conditions were. The eastern section of M25 is less busy than western but will still be congested at peak times. Was lane 3 a 'fast' lane at time or just one of three all solid and all doing <50?

HA guidance on these roads specifically addresses need to stop in a running lane. Advice is to stay in car with seat belt on and phone 999. Control will then protect you from behind by losing lanes etc until help arrives.

Can't see any use of the word brake, so a play on a word that hasn't been used is a little obtuse.

It's the second time in 24hrs I'd seen that gibe at Brake.

It wasn't particularly funny on first occasion.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 10/01/2015 at 13:44

Any - Words fail me! - galileo

It's the second time in 24hrs I'd seen that gibe at Brake.

It wasn't particularly funny on first occasion.

"Brake"is not funny at all: for some reason its hysterical, emotional and illogical lobbying for the return of the Red Flag Act (or something along the lines of a national 20 mph limit enforced by a million cameras) is taken more seriously by Local Authorities than reasoned, fact based representations from road user organisations.

As a result thousands of unnecessarily low limits have been imposed, strident whinging from Brake being used to justify the 'yellow highwaymen' planted along them as a source of revenue.

Being a parent, cyclist and pedestrian as well as a driver I've some common ground with Brake. I don't agree with everything it stands for but I think it's a legitimate pressure group.

You credit it with far, far more influence than it really has.

Any - Words fail me! - Andrew-T

<< As a result thousands of unnecessarily low limits have been imposed, strident whinging from Brake being used to justify the 'yellow highwaymen' planted along them as a source of revenue. >>

I tend to agree about the widespread and piecemeal scattering of speed limits in recent years. However it cannot be denied that - in general - the consequences of driving too slowly are usually less serious than driving too fast. The one may be due to thoughtless foolishness, the other rash stupidity. I don't think drivers should be permitted to drive at whatever speed they think fit, as some of them don't think fitly enough for the safety of the rest of us.

Any - Words fail me! - Sofa Spud

Anothe fully paid up member of Brake- the charity that is the problem, not the solution.

How can a charity that promotes safer driving and safer roads be a problem?

It worries people that if road safety consciousness influences legislation and is subsequently enforced, then they will be proportionally dealt with when found to be driving like barely post pubescent wazzocks.

Any - Words fail me! - alastairq

Because the attitudes they try to change result in inconveniences for individuals concerned?

Any - Words fail me! - galileo

Because the attitudes they try to change result in inconveniences for individuals concerned?

You will note that I objected to unnecessarily low speed limits, not speed limits per se. These can be a cause of congestion for all road users, can lead to driver frustration and dangerous overtakes.

I fully agree that there are some who are unfit to be trusted with a wheelbarrow, let alone a car, but these are the individuals who tend to ignore speed limits anyway.

Any - Words fail me! - FP

"She was given suitable advice and directions to the nearest garage."

I would love to know what words were used.... On the other hand, the police may have been remarkably polite.