Citroen C Crosser 2.2HDi - Diesel additives? which one and how often - guygamps

Hi, My Citroen spluttered to a halt on the Mortoway last week, lost all power and ECU warning light. I limped the car along to nearby family member and called Green Flag. During that journey, the power seemed to recover but the ECU warning stayed on; Green Flag checked the codes which seemed to indicate a fuel leak, but then went on to check the car very very thoroughly. Concluded it was probably a bit of contamination in the fuel or even air. Since Mrs G had fllled up at tesco earlier that day, it seems plausible.

Now planning to fill up with Shell or BP, not supermarket grade, and driving 250 miles on Wednesday. Would one of the small bottles of diesel additives in the tank make sense at this stage? to clean out any further risks? Note... the car has driven fine all week since on the same Tesco fuel. Have had the car 3 years and run it so far on various different brands of "stock" diesel.

Guy

Citroen C Crosser 2.2HDi - Diesel additives? which one and how often - dieselnut

I'm not sure how the Green Flag man concluded a fuel leak from the fault codes, but without the codes we can only guess.

As a start I would get the fuel filter changed, & if it happens again get the actual fault codes.

I doubt any addative will do any good, but it wont hurt either if you want to spend your money on some.

Citroen C Crosser 2.2HDi - Diesel additives? which one and how often - skidpan

Save your money and forget additives. The only people they benfit are those making them and those selling them.

As far as Tesco fuel being the problem that is a complete load of b******s. Bet if you had asked the person making that comment to put it in writing they would have declined. We pretty much use Tesco Petrol and diesel exclusively and have never had an issue. If the fuel had been the problem with your car you would not have been the only person to suffer. There would have been hundreds of others similarly stricken. Heard of any?

Edited by skidpan on 21/12/2014 at 13:58

Citroen C Crosser 2.2HDi - Diesel additives? which one and how often - RT

All regular fuel sold in a particular area comes from the same source, and stored at local distribution centres from which all road tankers draw the same supply and often replenish several different brands of filling stations - they add the brand's aditives when transferring fuel from the road tanker to the filling station.

All fuel sold in the EU has a certain level of additives - the additives do vary by brand but since no brand publishes it's list of additives it's impossible to know if there's any significant different or which brands are better.

Any brand can, and sometimes does, have an issue with a contaminated batch - evidenced by everyone who filled up from the same place on the same day getting the same problem - but it could well be a different brand next time.

Unlike petrol, diesel is easily contaminated by water which easily occurs by condensation of ambient air on the inside of the fuel tank - better but not eliminated with plastic tanks rather than steel and better but not eliminated by keeping the tank full and frequently refilled rather than kept virtually empty.

Regular servicing and replacement of the fuel filter is vital for diesels.

Citroen C Crosser 2.2HDi - Diesel additives? which one and how often - brampton48
Most diesel running issues are caused by diesel eating bacteria congealing in the tank and filter, with extended service intervals this makes it worse, additives will brake down the goo. Just shorten your service intervals by a few thousand for the filter and it should improve.
Citroen C Crosser 2.2HDi - Diesel additives? which one and how often - guygamps

thank you all, I have not scrimpted on servicing, it was last fully serviced in July including all new fuel and oil filters. have done about 70000 miles since. the car has been fine for a week since the incident, so I will follow the rule of "if it aint broke don't fix it".. and not mess with it. I buy one treatment of millers additive since although it seems the forum thinks the benefits are possibly over stated, it isn't going to do any harm

Citroen C Crosser 2.2HDi - Diesel additives? which one and how often - gordonbennet

I buy one treatment of millers additive since although it seems the forum thinks the benefits are possibly over stated,

Not all of us, but we keep a low profile as those opposed to such things get a bit het up about such things, best not antagonise them at their time of life..:-)

I suggest my learned friend peruse this and make their own mind up...

www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188065

Citroen C Crosser 2.2HDi - Diesel additives? which one and how often - Barry-J

Hi All, I am new member so hope i dont offend anyone with my lack of technical knowledge but i hope my direct experience will help others..I have had two C Crossers in the last 5-7 years and sadly both had issues with this symptom.ECU light on and "get me home mode" performance always near winter or cold mornings etc..Each time calling out Green flag or whoever couldnt pin point the issue.Until one engineer mentioned fuel filter.And more so the problems with Diesel"waxing up" in coldweather .So a new filter installed and now a 6 monthly regime of a diesel tank additive in a fresh full tank and keeping away from Supermarket fuel if possible to date 2years no ECU problems..So for me it could be mositure or simply they dont like dirty fuel etc etc. or both . I did since that time speak to a citreon engineer by chance he too notices every year a spike in this type of problems notjust c Crossers.. and they as a matter of habit just change the fuel filter and hey presto every time.

Best regards Barry

Citroen C Crosser 2.2HDi - Diesel additives? which one and how often - Manatee

Coincidence perhaps, as it's a different engine in the same car, but the only time the Outlander (Mitsubishi 2286cc diesel) has put the engine light on, changing the fuel filter was all that was required.

Citroen C Crosser 2.2HDi - Diesel additives? which one and how often - gordonbennet

I have an idea that, just as with extended oil change intervals and sealed for life (pause for laughter) gearboxes, many makers have extended Diesel fuel filter replacements to too long intervals for use in the real world.

We had fueling issues affecting our MAN lorries, one after another brought up fuel supply problems on the dash (more specific version of the anonymous EML), a visit to the dealer and a new filter saw the problem rectified on each, those intervals have now been revised to more frequent, result no more problems...though the head mechanic did show me how to and how much to drain the fuel sediment bowl which he advised to do fairly regularly between services.

Citroen C Crosser 2.2HDi - Diesel additives? which one and how often - Avant

It's this sort of thing, rather than scaremongering in the Press, that make me glad that I don't have a diesel car any more. I suppose the two are conmnectred, as it was the emissions concerns that induced manufacturers to fit all these extra components that now go wrong so regularly.