Buying a C cat car from far away and on CC - hoyak

Hi,

I am looking at a C Cat car from a large car garage (non main dealer). The garage is 175 miles from where I live. The car I presume will be supplied with 'no warranty' as it says three months warranty included in sticker price and I won't buy it at the price it is listed at. The car is in the region of £5.5k, two years old. If the car develops a fault within a reasonable time period, ie six months, will the garage be liable regardless of their no warranty claim? Also, if I pay on credit card what additional protection would I have? Ie, if there was a major repair within six or so months and if the garage refused to pay would they be liable?

Thanks

Buying a C cat car from far away and on CC - RobJP

It ALL comes down to what are defined as 'reasonable expectations'. Nobody can tell you whether fault X, or problem Y, the garage would definitely be liable for, and over what period of time.

'Reasonable expectations' take account of age of the car, the mileage the car has covered, the price paid for the car, the time you've had the car, the mileage you've done in it in that time, and probably other factors too.

Buying a C cat car from far away and on CC - gordonbennet

Unless the car is a rare model why would you want the headache of such a purchase distance.

Buying a C cat car from far away and on CC - madf

To quote Clint Eastwood: "Are you felling lucky,punk?"

As the question you ask is unanswerable sensibly.. largely because it is not a sensible question.

You are planning to buy a car 175miles away? And when it stops and fails to run, will you tow it to them so they can fix it? (you must give them first chance under law)

You should stop wasting your time and ours and buy more sensibly more local..

The fact that you ask means you must recognise it's probablly a stupid move.

Edited by madf on 25/11/2014 at 10:00

Buying a C cat car from far away and on CC - Gibbo_Wirral

Totally agree with Ma*** There was one of those horrible cheap "call the baliffs" programme on BBC a few months ago.

This bloke had bought a car from the other side of the country and the story was all made in his favour about how it was a terrible car and caused heartache and stress so decided to sue the car dealer.

All because he'd bought it from the other side of the country and they'd asked him to bring the car to them for inspection and repair. He was unwilling or unable to do so.

Buying a C cat car from far away and on CC - Avant

I can see why this is tempting - a newish car for a low price. But personally I think the risks are too great, especially with the added problem of the garage being so far away.

I'm not sure what size of car you're looking at, but if your budget is £5,500 you should be able to find a respectable Toyota (very reliable even into old age) or Ford (lots to choose from) nearer home, so that you have a practicable means of recourse in case things go wrong.